Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Secret Chimp

So you still hold to that stereotype that all of us on this board are a bunch of kids living in our parents basements? ....how sad and uninformed. That would be akin to us labelling all weightlifters (something you prob relate to with your bicep brag line) as juicers who are merely trying to compensate for their small inoperable male appendages and other worldly shortcomings....

You like the "old guys" who write those articles? ok. But being such the avid reader you are, you should also probably know that those writers are usually predisposed to NOT like Japanese cars. And that for the most part, they are good authors....not good drivers....which explains why you have to take their performance quotes with a huge grain of salt.

For a real measure of performance, you should look to the people who own the cars. They have the timeslips and the lap times which clarify the real performance of the Evo....in whatever interation, trim level, or continental market.

I find it funny that you are complaining now about how the Evo's heritage has been lost....because you were one of the people bashing the car for it's wing and it's hood scoop....which are also a large part of the Evo's heritage.

SC~
Oooooooooooohhhh ... that one had to hurt. What a
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:18 PM

WOOHOO THE EvoVII by FAAAAAAAAR the greatest evo YET!! i LOVE it !! the evo8 sorta looks ...........i dono tame in a away with the clear lights it looks sorta ........cheap wich is sad
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:23 PM

EVO7 BABY
Attached Thumbnails Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII-evo-corner-copy.jpg  
Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:26 PM

My source was simply the CAR magazine review of the EVO VIII where it mentioned they'd taken out the 50 kg bumper bar. Is it something that can be unbolted from the US car, or is it welded on?
110 lbs does seem way too much unless it's made of lead - perhaps MMC replaced an early heavy prototype with a stiffer lighter bar.

Originally posted by trigeek37
I don't think the EVO 8 is any heavier then the Evo 7, and I highly doubt there is a 100+ lb bumper reenforcer in the front of the car.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 03:01 PM

According to this thread, front bumper beam is closer to 13lbs, just a bit off the 110lbs GUESS.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight+reduction

Michael
Old Apr 25, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I ran a 13.46
megabusa- is that a stock evo? or what work have you done to it? im a bit confused... i see so many conflicting numbers about what the evo can run.. what exactly is it?? if it runs a 13.4 stock ill be very happy!!!
Old Apr 25, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Cordwood
Sorry, but I trust the magazine writers who make a living making objective assessments of cars more than a kid who lives in his parents basement ( since they don't own the car, they aren't cheerleaders). I'm not bashing the EVO, but I am upset that this cars heritage has been ruined by the fact that most of them are being bought by mommy and daddy ( for junior). Did I tell you my Sentra ran a 14 second quarter mile. I was using my stopwatch and it's very accurate.
Please look at this thread!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=20709

Most are owned by working people who put their hard earned money down on the car. Yes there are some teens who's parents purchased it for them but Evo ownership is most definitely not mostly Juniors gift from mom and dad. If you can prove otherwise please show proof because you are quickly killing your credibility, Thanks!

My answer to the question at hand is the VII is king when compared to the US' VIII.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 06:53 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JaReDbOy

megabusa- is that a stock evo? or what work have you done to it? im a bit confused... i see so many conflicting numbers about what the evo can run.. what exactly is it?? if it runs a 13.4 stock ill be very happy!!!
Yes his is stock, Silencer is running 13.18 and i'm running 13.52. We are all stock. Now the weather is warmer, tires sticky, i'm planning to run a 13.3-13.4 range.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

i told my wife that I was going to be pissed if I ran anything slower than a 13.6. My first run with my car boiling hot, i got that 13.46..... so... hopefully next time out I will be at 13.3.

100% totally stock...did not even remove the spare, and I had 3/4+ tank of gas (minus 60 miles worth of driving).

Originally posted by JaReDbOy

Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the slalom speed for the Evo and what is the laterlal skidpad for the Evo.....
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

ok wow,, now i am seriously psyched!!! so why the heck then are ppl reporting numbers of 13.8, 13.9 and even i saw one guy say the best he got was 14.1... my guess is they cant drive?
what was your technique to pull off a 13.5 and lower?.. are you launching hard by revving almost near redline then dumping clutch??
thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:45 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. Reving to near redline with or without momentum is the only way. But don't worry. I've made on run with a 2.105 60ft 13.8@101.12mph. Basically no launch. SO people with high 13's are probalby launching them thinking they are RWD I actually bogged rpm dropping near stalling when i turned that time. Pretty fast car i might go again tommarrow to get my 1.7-1.8 60ft so i can crack a low 13's
Old Apr 26, 2003, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

wow.. and thats completely stock.. man am i happy i got rid of my Ws6 for this thing! my ws6 was a sweet car, but useless in the winter.. and well, it wont pull low 13's STOCK...

cant wait to do some minor mods and get into the 12's-- weeeee!
Old Apr 26, 2003, 09:05 AM

I have a question... Is the Euro Evo VII faster then the EUro Evo VIII? What are the major differences between both Euro Versions?
Old Apr 26, 2003, 09:31 AM

I think it was CAR or EVO magazine that compared the two, and said the EVO VIII was a LOT faster on a track than the EVI VII, like several seconds, which is huge on a road course. The attributed the difference to the improved computer and ACD - the two things we don't get. They said the power was not much different. EVO VII was almost more fun though, they said, since it was more tail happy.

Originally posted by ashraf
I have a question... Is the Euro Evo VII faster then the EUro Evo VIII? What are the major differences between both Euro Versions?

Quick Reply: Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII