Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII

I know that the EVO VII is stated as having higher HP but the US EVO VIII is lighter because of the lack of differentials. Both have been quoted as pulling low 13's stock so which is it. Is the new US EVO VIII just under rated or is the EVO VII still king?
Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

EVO II is the KING! "276 hp but ran at 315" (i quote superstreet april issue. i like every aspect of the evo vii.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

i believe the evo VII is faster but not by much...
Old Apr 25, 2003, 04:16 AM

evo VII by far

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ion/index.html

0-60 mph, sec: 4.3
600-ft slalom, mph: 70.9
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft: 113
Old Apr 25, 2003, 06:44 AM

The US EVO has a 110 lb anti-intrusion beam in the front bumper to meet US crash standards. The bumper itself is also 20 lbs heavier. So this makes the US car at least 130 lbs heavier than the EVO VII, minus any difference from the missing LSD (doubtful). The new bumper also restricts air more than the EVO VII so power is down a bit.
The Euro EVO VIII does NOT have this heavy intrusion beam, they took it out.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

I've read many different mags about the VII... Thy are usually posting 1/4 times as 13.7's.... I've seen that on many occasions... Now we know that someone actually ran a 13.2 (supposedly stock) with an EVO VIII.. Now what's with that?? If the VII actually has the "close to 315bhp" , why can it only run a 13.6-7? Just with the lighter weight, and more horsepower. It should still run close to a high 12 like the VI's... I dunno, maybe I just can't read or something... But it's really strange to read something from one mag, and see something totally different from another..
Old Apr 25, 2003, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

We do not know for sure which is faster. There are very few Evo 7's in the US.....and there are only a few hundred Evo 8's here at this point also.

We suspect that the Evo 7 would be a little faster due to the extra weight added to the US car, and the hp restrictions caused by the emissions standards here in the US.

But at the same time, some US Evo 8's have been ticking off quarter mile times that are faster than magazine claims for the European/ Japanese Evo 7's.

So, draw your own conclusions.

SC~
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

When you say "anyone", you mean "magazine writers" right, cordwood?

Cause I certainly don't see any private parties out there trying to get the best 0-60 times.

And how do you factually know the Evo 8 is no Evo 7? Have you driven either car? Probably not. Have you seen the 7 on a course kicking the 8's butt? No you haven't. ....all you have seen, and all you will ever see are magazine numbers.

Your penchant for magazine racing is amazing.

SC~ who wonders why cordwood is still here ******* on a car he'll never buy.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

I ran a 13.46 (i have posted that number like a gazillion times now), which would equate to well under 5 seconds for 0-60mph.... I am not sure what an Evo VII would do, but I am pretty pleased with my car....plus my car was not even cool (i had just driven 60 miles to get to the track.)

Also, I thought Shiv ripped apart his car's bumpers and found the reinforcement beams were not nearly as heavy as we thought (nothign close to 100lbs).

and...lastly.... the Evo VII supposedly only weighs slightly less than the EVo VIII....the Japanese weight is "dry" vs the usa "fully ladened" weight.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think the EVO 8 is any heavier then the Evo 7, and I highly doubt there is a 100+ lb bumper reenforcer in the front of the car.

One of the DSM tuners weighed in their Evo at 3400 wet with a 240 lb driver, I think MMC sandbagged the weight on this car. I searched for this thread, but it's been a while, so no luck.

the only wet weight number I have ever seen for the Evo 7 is from the handling test done by R&T about 1 year ago. Their Evo 7 weighed in at 3260 wet, within 20 lbs of the Evo 8 weight. The weight distribution was also almost the same, which leads me to believe that there is not 100 lb reenforcement beam in the very front of the Evo 8.

my 2 cents.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

It is amazing that we spend this much time discussing such a little amount of time.(.3 seconds?)
Old Apr 25, 2003, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

7 All the way
Attached Thumbnails Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII-evo-rear.jpg  
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:05 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by skibum
It is amazing that we spend this much time discussing such a little amount of time.(.3 seconds?)
Your joking right ?

.3 sec is about 2-3 car length on the 1/4 mile track and perhaps more on a road course. If have experience racing you'd know a 1sec head start usually mean the race.

aprox 30hp difference for .3.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Cordwood
Sorry, but I trust the magazine writers who make a living making objective assessments of cars more than a kid who lives in his parents basement ( since they don't own the car, they aren't cheerleaders). I'm not bashing the EVO, but I am upset that this cars heritage has been ruined by the fact that most of them are being bought by mommy and daddy ( for junior). Did I tell you my Sentra ran a 14 second quarter mile. I was using my stopwatch and it's very accurate.
So you still hold to that stereotype that all of us on this board are a bunch of kids living in our parents basements? ....how sad and uninformed. That would be akin to us labelling all weightlifters (something you prob relate to with your bicep brag line) as juicers who are merely trying to compensate for their small inoperable male appendages and other worldly shortcomings....

You like the "old guys" who write those articles? ok. But being such the avid reader you are, you should also probably know that those writers are usually predisposed to NOT like Japanese cars. And that for the most part, they are good authors....not good drivers....which explains why you have to take their performance quotes with a huge grain of salt.

For a real measure of performance, you should look to the people who own the cars. They have the timeslips and the lap times which clarify the real performance of the Evo....in whatever interation, trim level, or continental market.

I find it funny that you are complaining now about how the Evo's heritage has been lost....because you were one of the people bashing the car for it's wing and it's hood scoop....which are also a large part of the Evo's heritage.

SC~

Quick Reply: Which is faster: Evo VII or US Evo VIII