Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO Winshield Help...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Winshield Help...

I have a nasty crack in my winshield and need a new one.

I called 3 different places near me and the 3 quotes I got are:

Those prices are installed. Now, when I call I tell them Lancer Evolution, not regular Lancer, however, they keep asking if its sedan or wagon...

Im worried they think the Lancer glass is the same as the EVO glass because it is different as I confirmed with Bell Mitsubishi (big Mitsu parts dealer in NJ).

Anyone have anything to add? Is the $372 way off and $794 spot-on? People who have had their winshields replaced could definitely help me here!

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

evo glass is supposed to be lighter then the regular lancer. when i had to replace my windshield i just went with the normal lancer glass and it was around 200 installed. fitment was perfect, and i'm not worried about an extra few lbs on the car
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I just had mine replaced today with the lancer glass same dimensions. Rearview mounts a little lower.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Last fall I got a chip in my windshield that turned into a windshield spanning crack one winter morning when I had to defrosters at full blast. After my phone calls to all the local installers I became convinced that none of them had the Evo windshield in their catalogs. So, I ordered one from a Mitsu discount dealer - about $400. I then had the windshield installed in my garage for about $50. If you go this route get the plastic strip that goes along the top too.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

when i had to replace my glass i got the same range you did. i got it installed for the low low price of $275 (although I had to go to them).

if you do get the regular lancer glass, you also have the added benefit of the tint strip at the top. just remember that the mirror mounting brackets are different.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I had an aftermarket one installed in my '03 VIII, at the time, the factory one was not available, and i couldn;t wait, so I had a local glass company install one. Charged me $289 installed, and fitment is perfect, no flaws. I called the Mitsu dealer and they said it was a different part number for plain Lancer to Evo. When I had the windshield replaced, they put one in for a regular Lancer, and "it fit like a glove."(His words about the install) Been in for over a year now. No issues.....Good Luck!!!!

...oh, and the $372 is not way off. Sounds just about right for a non OEM windshield.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks a ton for all the responses guys!!!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

If you were in Florida it woulkd be free for you, plus youd get a box of steaks.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Also, does anyone know of the actual weight difference between the Lancer glass and EVO glass?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

When I replaced mine it was $185 installed. I believe the Co. was Safe Light Auto Glass.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I got mine replaced on my integra for $100 through insurance. You can get glass buyback coverage on your insurance and it's only a $100 deductible. I dunno how it is out wherever you are though.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I paid $480 for my glass - original Mitsubishi Evo glass. Yes, it is lighter and thinner, but I don't know by how much.

BTW, my windscreen cracked right in front of me when my car was stationary. We had our coldest day in Colorado last winter, and I was defrosting my car after work with the screen demister. I believe it was -10F outside at the time. There were no visible chips on the screen, either, so I was pissed.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
I paid $480 for my glass - original Mitsubishi Evo glass. Yes, it is lighter and thinner, but I don't know by how much.

BTW, my windscreen cracked right in front of me when my car was stationary. We had our coldest day in Colorado last winter, and I was defrosting my car after work with the screen demister. I believe it was -10F outside at the time. There were no visible chips on the screen, either, so I was pissed.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Also, does anyone know of the actual weight difference between the Lancer glass and EVO glass?
i could be wrong, but i remember (i think it was dafarmer69) someone posting the difference was only about 6 lbs.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $518 price sounds about right. I got my windshield replaced last November and the invoice was right around $520 if I remember right.

Depending on the shop you call, they may not even notice that there is a difference betwen the Lancer and Evo windshields. I had to wait almost 2 months to get a new one last year because (thankfully) someone took the time to figure out that there was a difference between them. Though it's been said before, you CAN use a regular Lancer windshield if you want a thicker, more durable piece of glass.

Btw, thanks for posting this thread. It just reminded me to call and order a new windshield for my car again. I'm getting tired of staring at the big *** crack I've had for the last 7 weeks. lol

Quick Reply: EVO Winshield Help...