Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo MR BBS rims touch-up paint

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo MR BBS rims touch-up paint

I did a search for Evo MR BBS rims paint code and surprisingly found there isn't a paint code listed anywhere.

The closest match anyone mentioned on this board is some Testors Gray Gunship model paint (and that was quite a while ago).

Has anyone since found a better match or better yet a real matching paint code from BBS or Mitsu?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Testors is your best bet.
I emailed BBS and asked them, response: We send them to Mitsu and the factory paints them. E mailed Mitsu, but as to no- ones surprise, I have not yet received an answer.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you call or visit an auto paint supplier? That would be your best bet as often they list trim and wheel paint codes for the car.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I would also like to know
Old Sep 24, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Try calling your local mitsu dealer if there is a paint code their parts department should know it. If you do find it please pm me and let me know, I also have the mr and wouldn't mind knowing the code.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for this
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone find out yet?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:52 PM

I honestly never found anything over the shelf. I ended up dropping off the rim at an auto body paint shop that mixes paint. They did a 24 hour paint match test and ended up getting me a couple cans that are pretty dang close. I think it cost me about $60 when it was all said and done.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

MR BBS touchup

There is a graphite grey Duplicolor spray paint that is nearly a perfect match. I have the number as "DSFM 225 medium charcoal". For chips I just spray some on a Q-tips and dab. It holds better if you clean a fine sand the chip first. Duplicolor also has a silver that is near dead on Apex Silver. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silverghost
There is a graphite grey Duplicolor spray paint that is nearly a perfect match. I have the number as "DSFM 225 medium charcoal". For chips I just spray some on a Q-tips and dab. It holds better if you clean a fine sand the chip first. Duplicolor also has a silver that is near dead on Apex Silver. Don't ask me how I know this.
good to know.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Hate to bring this thread back to life but "DSFM 225" does not match the BBS wheels. I test painted the inside of my wheel before fixing my curb rash. From a certain angle its a spot on match but from any other, it's too noticeably dark.

So has anyone found a suitable paint to use?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have two matched sets of MR rims. They haven't been repainted, and the color on one set is quite a bit darker than the other. If you had a perfect match for one set it would be way off on the other. I had some paint mixed and it was way too dark and I haven't brought it back for them to adjust it. Sorry for no help.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:30 AM

BBS Match Found!

BASF Chip Foose: Chip Silver

I met a very cool guy at the local auto body supply who mixes BASF paints.
I just bought a set of X MR BBS wheels for my 2012 GSR. Unfortunately there are a few stone chips and the usual hammer on weight scars.

There were literally thousands of paint sample cards on his wall. His color match gun didn't have enough flat surface to do a scan and match.

After quite a bit of time comparing 100's of silver shades he pulled out his Chip Foose color book. Bang! Right there. Chip Silver. Perfect match. Silver so fine and shade perfect.

This paint is a waterborne color but he quickly converted it to an acrylic solvent and ran off to the lab to mix a sample and reduce it down.

He dipped a card in the mix and held it up to the BBS. It looked perfect. I took the still wet card and dabbed it over the wheel weight scar. the color literally disappeared into the scratches. Literally. I took the wheel out in the sun and it was unbelievable. Before it dried I wiped it with my finger to level the bubble out a little before I wiped the mix out completely. The flow and match was amazing.

I got a half pint, reducer, hardener and blender to soften the wheel finish...etc. I have enough clear coat at home.
After some very careful wet sanding to feather out the imperfections on the BBS's I'll spray a test panel with black base and then use my air brush or tune the touch up gun down and spray it for a test match.

I also have a bit of black and silver tint used in the mix in a couple of touch up bottles to adjust the silver tint if it needs it.

From picking through the 'Net these BBS wheels are painted with a black base coat, then a secret formula color coat, and a lacquer clear coat. Since the stone ships are just deep enough that there is still black base, I'm hoping to make these look awesome without a complete respray. I know a complete respray is the right way, but I think everything will work out fine. Winter project.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by supwiddiss
BASF Chip Foose: Chip Silver

I met a very cool guy at the local auto body supply who mixes BASF paints.
I just bought a set of X MR BBS wheels for my 2012 GSR. Unfortunately there are a few stone chips and the usual hammer on weight scars.

There were literally thousands of paint sample cards on his wall. His color match gun didn't have enough flat surface to do a scan and match.

After quite a bit of time comparing 100's of silver shades he pulled out his Chip Foose color book. Bang! Right there. Chip Silver. Perfect match. Silver so fine and shade perfect.

This paint is a waterborne color but he quickly converted it to an acrylic solvent and ran off to the lab to mix a sample and reduce it down.

He dipped a card in the mix and held it up to the BBS. It looked perfect. I took the still wet card and dabbed it over the wheel weight scar. the color literally disappeared into the scratches. Literally. I took the wheel out in the sun and it was unbelievable. Before it dried I wiped it with my finger to level the bubble out a little before I wiped the mix out completely. The flow and match was amazing.

I got a half pint, reducer, hardener and blender to soften the wheel finish...etc. I have enough clear coat at home.
After some very careful wet sanding to feather out the imperfections on the BBS's I'll spray a test panel with black base and then use my air brush or tune the touch up gun down and spray it for a test match.

I also have a bit of black and silver tint used in the mix in a couple of touch up bottles to adjust the silver tint if it needs it.

From picking through the 'Net these BBS wheels are painted with a black base coat, then a secret formula color coat, and a lacquer clear coat. Since the stone ships are just deep enough that there is still black base, I'm hoping to make these look awesome without a complete respray. I know a complete respray is the right way, but I think everything will work out fine. Winter project.
Evo X MR BBS is not the same color as Evo VIII/IX MR BBS

Quick Reply: Evo MR BBS rims touch-up paint