Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Horsepower Freaks LICP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horsepower Freaks LICP

So you guys i was installing the unit last night on my evo 9. I ran into a problem...one of the hoses did not fit onto my Evo so i was forced to use the stock one because the HPF one was a straight hose wehre as the stock was curved to fit the curve of the piping....after i installed the piece i made sure everything was on tight and there are no leaks...however the LICP is hanging a little and when i put my undertray back on the car the pipe is actually pusing agains tthe bottom of my car...what the he*L do i do ???

thanks again fellas,

Rob
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

cool another hot thread...anyone?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The straight coupler was meant for an aftermarket intercooler that points to the side (per Tom), so you were suppose to use the stock coupler (as I did). It's just that HPF failed to meantioned that.

My licp also hangs below the bumper. It may be a matter of loosening the clamps and playing with the piping to get it straight, but I haven't tried.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

thanks bro i appreciate that
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Horsepower freaks supplies the straight coupler for aftermarket FMIC, you are supposed to use your stock bended couple which is ~2.5in, so it fits just fine. If your worried about the stock coupler being a problem, I wouldn't be, I think you've seen on numerous thread where people are making big power with the stock uicp, which uses the same couplers as the licp does. So using the stock coupler isn't hurting performance or reliability.

As far as the pipe hanging against the undertray, just try and get it as good as you can, I just installed mine yesterday and was able to get it to where it touched the undertray a tiny bit, but the whole undertray went back on without a problem.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have the HPF LICP and with the stock intercooler it did hang kinda low, but when I installed my new intercooler, I used the straight coupler and it fits perfectly now, doesn't hang low any more!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Everybody's already covered the reasoning for the straight coupler but if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to PM me!

Tom
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

ya, i helped him install it last night. with more playing around, i can make it straight, but i was late, so we left it be. however, it is an excellent peice and great for the price!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:50 PM

Consider yourself lucky. I never received the straight coupler for an upgraded IC. Even after I emailed, they refused to send one for when I upgrade. Forgot to mention that on my IX, the pipe hangs low as well, clearly pushing against the undertray. And yes, I spent considerable time adjusting.

Last edited by Swirvin; Jul 20, 2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Ya mine used to hang really low, but I have a friend with a welder and we custom made a bracket identical to the Neise or something engineering. Now you coul stand on the pipe and it won't budge.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Swirvin
Consider yourself lucky. I never received the straight coupler for an upgraded IC. Even after I emailed, they refused to send one for when I upgrade. Forgot to mention that on my IX, the pipe hangs low as well, clearly pushing against the undertray. And yes, I spent considerable time adjusting.
Give me a call directly I'll have one out to you tomorrow. I'm almost 100% certain no one would have refused to send you a coupler but we'll be happy to make it right as always. Thanks man!

Tom
1-866-HPF-5600 x 104
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

do all licps hang low like this one?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Now thats how customer service should be!! Way to go HPFs!!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

my hpf licp doesn't sit low!

Last edited by EvolvinEvo; Jul 30, 2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:03 PM

Tom, Thank you for the sincere offer to correct the wrong, however, it will not be necessary. The IC I intend to purchase includes said coupler. Since you feel "almost 100% certain" that my post was inaccurate, I offer to share the saved correspondence I had with your rep, if you care to send a PM. Otherwise, to anyone wanting to order from HPF, may I suggest dealing with Tom.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Freaks LICP