Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost Lots of Electrical Functions--Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Lots of Electrical Functions--Any Ideas?

Okay, I've got a weird problem that came up last night while doing a stereo install. Looking for advice.

I had the stereo hooked up and working well. It sounded great; only problem was that I couldn't get it to find my Sirius tuner. That's not the problem I'm having though.

While working on the Sirius connection, The metal housing (or POSSIBLY a bare wire, even though I had them all taped up well) touched the frame of the car. There was a blue spark and then the radio and some other things lost power. Here's what's gone:

1. Radio power
2. Most door electrical, including the "door ajar" indicator on the dash and remote function. Power windows still work.
3. Dome lights don't work at all.
4. Trip odometer resets every time I turn the car off.
5. Door chime, key-in-ignition chime, and headlights chime all stopped working.
6. Dash clock does not work (EDITED)

I went through and checked all the fuses individually, both relay fuses and junction box fuses--everything's still good as far as I can tell. And a lot of the stuff above are on separate fuses anyway. I borrowed a generic OBDII scanner from the auto parts store--not the Mitsu scanner--and it came up with no trouble codes and communicated normally with the ECU.

I did drain the battery last night, but I jumped it before any of this started happening. And usually the dome lights still work even if the battery is low. The car idles a little rough still, but it runs well when moving. I do have cams.

Any ideas on what I messed up? Is there a connector that I may have fried that has all of these functions on it? A fuse I'm not aware of? Somehow damaged the ECU? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Grog; Jul 24, 2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm...the way wiring harnesses are in cars today....it could be anything. You would need a wiring diagram of the car, and trace where that wire you sparked goes, and inspect from there. A multimeter would be your best friend right now....although, without manufacturer's specs it's kinda useless. At least you could test for continuity. good luck!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately I don't know what wire, if any of them, was the one that touched the frame. I do have a multimeter. I'll try to track it down from there.

I've looked at most of the connectors (C-126, C-212, C-227). Those all look good, and the radio one looks fine too. I can't find C-226, though. Anyone know how to get to that one? Could there be a fuse that I'm missing?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for any more help. Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Hell put the stock radio in a drive down to the dealer and play dumb and have them fix it. Electrical stuff will have you pulling your hair out.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

free bump... that sucks
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

I may end up taking it to the dealer, but with my mods I don't have a prayer for warranty work anyway. The only thing I'd want them to do is to do the ETACS-COMM check to make sure the ETACS ECU still works. It should, since the wiring diagrams show the power windows being controlled by this ECU, and they work. And the clock, which doesn't work, has nothing to do with the ETACS.

And you're right, I went bald this weekend checking connectors, wiring, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

well, i have the exact same problems, but mine didn't happen from a radio install. moreover, my problem has appeared its self 4 times within the last 9 months and has lasted on average about 30 seconds.
i was just about to create a thread asking for help with this issue since it just happened to me on friday.
the first indication i have when this issue pops up is when my keyless remote does not work. its as if the car has no power when the key is not in the ignition. but even when the car is running, the dome lights, radio and power door locks dont work and the odometer and clock reset every time.

let me know when you find out anything.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

DAMMIT!

That's almost exactly what mine's doing, except my clock isn't turning on at all, and I haven't gotten any of the functions back. Engine still runs perfect, though.

BAHH!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Return to stock, go to dealer.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

ok, I know this thread is old, but I am having this exact same issue. Grog, did you ever get your issue resolved? What was the issue? I have the same problem. My clock, interior dome light and radio don't come on. I've checked all fuses (including #20) and they all are ok. Your help is much appreciated.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Problem solved: I changed out fuses 22 and 23 (the fuse connected with a yellow shroud) and problem solved. Thanks guys.... Sorry to bring back an old thread...
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

with me, it turned out something loose in the relay box.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by greatgonzer
Problem solved: I changed out fuses 22 and 23 (the fuse connected with a yellow shroud) and problem solved. Thanks guys.... Sorry to bring back an old thread...
This was actually the exact same problem/solution for me. Just pulled the two fuses bound together in the yellow plastic piece and replaced them with two individual fuses. Never figured out which one blew, and don't really care now. Not sure why they even put those two fuses together like that anyway.

Glad you got it solved!
Old Apr 13, 2007, 06:50 AM

Funny, I had the same exact problem. To make a long story short, I ended up just changing one of thsoe fuse that was in the yello shroud thingy. The funny part is the fuse was good, so tested good when tested from teh top, but got loose and was not pushed all the way in. I was also considering talking it to the dealer, and I even called them and asked them what they think it could be, and the tech told me: " it's weird because all those things are not even on the same circuit". I am glad the "certified" mitsu tech know less than I do!!

Quick Reply: Lost Lots of Electrical Functions--Any Ideas?