Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Leaving the evo stock, who else?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006 | 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

no such thing as a stock evo. they all come with a little devil in them that tells you to do bad things to them.

devil mod!
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

thats what i thought too and now im close to an 11sec pass
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Everybody "plans" on leaving their's stock but like Kee1pride said, the little devil will eventually talk you into something The best thing to do if you're really concerned about the warranty is put on mods that you can take off yourself if you need to go in for service. Of course it depends on your mechanical ability but the biggest hp gain that's easily removed with no evidence is a piggy-back cpu mod. Unichip just developed their's for the Evo, they actually used my car to develop it. It will give you the same hp gain as an ecu tune without altering your factory ecu, then you just unplug the thing when you need to take it in and it leaves no evidence. Only takes about 5 min. PM if you're ever interested and I can make sure you get a discount

Have fun!

Last edited by evolution_racer; Jul 24, 2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my first evo back in october of 2003, i had a Stealth twin turbo before, so the Evo definitly had enough power to satisfy my needs at the time and the handling and braking is simply amazing, so it is tempting to leave it stock, I had it sotck for one whole year, than around my birthday the next December i bought a turbo back exhaust, but that was it. Since than ive gone through a low 12 second Audi S4 and a 2005 M3, Now im down to just my Evo IX MR, i definitly needed some more power, so you can try keeping it stock but eventually your going to want the added performance!
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

Leave it stock... OK
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

I'm stock but only at ~3500 miles. I can see an exhaust and a flash or similar in the future but nothing exotic.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 12:09 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dntdrvslow
Gotta throw at catback on it at least....
Hopefully, by the time the stock exhaust needs replacement the aftermarket will offer products that differ from what's currently available. Every aftermarket (Evo) exhaust I've heard has been way too loud for my taste. I like to carve my way around without bringing attention to myself, and having something like that an my car surely defeats the purpose. For someone like me, an exhaust has to be as quiet as stock. Too, I prefer not to have a huge tip sticking out. If it's a 3" exhaust, why have a 4-4.5" tip? That makes me feel like I'm driving a rolling joke. Last, but not least, I'd like to see some comparative dyno results associated with what's on offer before I even consider bolting it to my car.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

stock , 6 months old ....

it keep giving me feeling 1 day it will be wrecked by someone and totalled (parts too expensive to fix )...
this mourning was a close call ... Imapala wants to hit me at 50 mph from behind
all i heard is 1-2 sec of tires biting into the highway =/
all i can do is more another 1/2 feet and wish for the best ...

well , it is my daily driver , i guess i will mod if it isnt
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Yea atleast do the basics mods like exhaust. Even if only that. It'll sound nicer.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I bought this car specifically to mod the **** out of, so no. Buy a BMW if you want a car to keep stock.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

I've had my car for 2 week's after selling my VIII that was stock.

and have already spent 1k on mods..

I keep telling myself 350whp is all I want but we'll see..
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

My car is still stock after 11k miles and 5 months. Can't say I wasn't tempted to mod it though.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 03:00 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

I've had it a year now and the only thing I've added is coilovers and a rear sway bar. I'd rather carve corners than blast down the quarter mile. The Evo has plenty of power from the factory and is a blast to drive on and off the track!

Learn to drive the car before you modify stuff. In totally stock form the Evo is already very capable.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by threepointsix
....If the fact that a 3.5L Altima can keep up with a stock Evo from a launch bugs you, mod the motor.
I have both cars, and I find this statement false.
Old Jul 24, 2006 | 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

lol i said the same thing about leaving it stock...but then i got use to it and now it seems slower...so imma go for more but then i have set my limitations...350whp would be enough at least thats what i have in plan right now... IMHO if the person want to leave it stock, just get the MR.

Quick Reply: Leaving the evo stock, who else?