Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Leaving the evo stock, who else?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving the evo stock, who else?

Well I sold my srt4 to get my evo with the intentions on modding it. One night I was thinking and I just decided that it would make more sense to leave the evo bone stock since it was my daily driver along with the fact that I bought an extended warranty from the dealership. I have read and heard nightmares about if you have any mods on your car, It gives the dealership an excuses to give you **** when you go in for work. The dealership I bought it from has a partnership with Turbo Trix where if I buy the TT upgrades from the dealer, They will warranty the work but Im probally going to pass on it. With my srt4 I had around 380 whp and it was my daily driver which made me nervous alot. If I head a weird sound or the car started to act up I would get paranoid and knowing that I couldnt take the car to the dealership didnt help at all. I think I can seriously say that my 04 gsr ssl is more then enough for me bone stock. I think that I can still have fun stock by learning how to drive the car and maybe doing some auto-x with it. I just wanna see if anyone else is doing the same as me. Thxs
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thats no fun

I had a 450+whp srt4 also and now Im in the Evo and I "have" to mod at least a little because a little goes so far!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:18 AM

Leave this thread...there are plenty of others like it.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to leave my car stock for another year but I am selling it anyways. I am going to be saving up money to buy parts for this car and I will get another evo next year. I don't know how you will be able to keep it stock though because I am pretty sure you will go crazy hearing about the insane amount of power this 2.0 L, four-banger can put out.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:41 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Markourn
I think that I can still have fun stock by learning how to drive the car...
My fun is driving the car. The IX has a 10 year powertrain warranty that I'm very hesitant to blow and frankly I can hardly use all the Evo has to offer as it is. Moddling for the sake of modding isn't my hobby. This is not to say that squeezing a little more juice out of the motor isn't tempting, especially given the relatively low cost/performance ratio. Once I sit back and carefully assess my needs and abilities, leaving the car stock makes the most sense.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

You defiently have more self control then most of us.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:50 AM

I am going to leave my evo stock when i grab it up, becuse it will also be my daily driver and my way to school and work.. I say that now because i dont have one, by the time i do get one and drive it i will probably be singing the opposite song. Thats if i have enough money to do that.. lol
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '03 VIII with about 54,5xx miles right now. I left it stock because it's my daily driver and I needed it to be trouble free. I'm happy to say that it has. I'm still even on the stock brakes, clutch, everything but the fluids. It's actually been one of the most trouble-free cars I've owned. This car is NOT cheap to mod, and if you're not up to all that work, just stay with it.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

You could leave the car stock but get some type of piggy back that would modify fuel and timing advances.

But I understand where you are coming from -- depending on how your local dealerships treat you it's not worth the time to modify the car unless you plan on fixing it yourself. I put on some basic bolt-on's to my car since I race it on the weekends.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:12 AM

Gotta throw at catback on it at least, though i am also light on the mods. Little appearance mods can be fun though u know, have the br heatshield and it looks so good compared to the ugly other thing
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Well, you're on record here on the website as intending to keep the car stock. I would think that would be a big plus if you wanted to sell it here. I wouldn't touch a used Evo with mods unless it was heavily discounted.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

....If the fact that a 3.5L Altima can keep up with a stock Evo from a launch bugs you, mod the motor. But after being on a litre bike all day the Evo will still feel slow, even if you get her to trap 112-115ish - or, go ahead & mod the Evo's motor till your broke trying to find happiness- it will always leave you looking for more. Vette, SRT4, Mustang guys are all in the same boat here. Look at all the unsatisfied car bowlers in the 11's who post here salivating over big snails and looking for hugs after blowing trannies. Its all about priorities how much cash you got & how much buyers remorse you can handle. Mine is a daily driver only. I have no regrets around 350hp but I know when to stop before things get ugly. I roll a conservative tune that will not jeopardize my spark plugs or piston tops while I still run from every E46 M3 ive encountered and Bullit Stangs (they always wanna try and race)Put $200 in a rear swaybar. You will be surprised how much faster it will go just around corners.There are ALOT of cars that trap 110mph bone stock these days, keep that in mind so even at 350hp you will loose to all sorts of cars in traffic. Remember, all it takes is a credit card swipe to add HP to the car not cash in your wallet.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car appears stock =)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:23 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by threepointsix
If the fact that a 3.5L Altima can keep up with a stock Evo from a launch bugs you, mod the motor.

This is a joke right?
Originally Posted by threepointsix
There are ALOT of cars that trap 110mph bone stock these days, keep that in mind so even at 350hp you will loose to all sorts of cars in traffic.
Such as?

Last edited by Rnm; Jul 24, 2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I've left mine stock and have no problems except regular wear and tear. I plan on modding the exterior to my preference first, and then later on the motor when I can afford to not have a warranty.

For example, I will soon be upgrading the suspension and wheels. That will keep me busy saving up and away from voiding my drivetrain warranty.

Quick Reply: Leaving the evo stock, who else?