Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

upping boost on evo 7...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2002, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upping boost on evo 7...

well ive been thinking after i get an evo 7 about making it more powerful etc and it seems that upping the boost as an easy way to go about doing that. assuming i up the boost slightly and get everything else i need, i do not know what ill need but lets say i get all the stuff...will the life of the engine be reduced? i mean i want to add mroe power but i dont want to if its gonna risk breaking down the engine earlier since its already a mitsubishi and im not sure how long itll last even if its kept stock...i jus wanna do mods that wont compromise the life of the engine since my goal isnt to make my car faster than vipers and zo6 vettes etc...
Old Feb 26, 2002, 03:16 PM

Re: upping boost on evo 7...

Originally posted by evo penguin
my goal isnt to make my car faster than vipers and zo6 vettes etc...
why not? can you just imagine how good it would feel to smack one of those cars?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

i mean i want to add mroe power but i dont want to if its gonna risk breaking down the engine earlier since its already a mitsubishi and im not sure how long itll last even if its kept stock

What do you mean by "its already a mitsubishi"
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:24 PM

After a few mods, you will sure beat stock vipers and Z06's.
If I were you, I would wait until some company comes out with a chip with proper maps, etc. and add some EGT, Boost, etc gauges to monitor the car before doing any mods at all.

As with the WRX, plenty of mods, and aftermarket parts will be availabe for the Evo. (In fact there are already many..just let them come over)

Just my thoughts!
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evocrazy
What do you mean by "its already a mitsubishi"
What he means is that, unfortunately, Mitsubishis made in the Normal,IL plant have a bad reputation for not being durable.

EVO's have obviously never been made there before and hopefully that trend will continue.

BTW, if you increase boost you WILL increase the rate of wear on your engine parts, the make of the car doesn't matter... how much life will be sucked away is another question altogether though.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

on evos changing your exhaust and intake automatically ups the boost and will give you much more hp at 1.4 bar. If you just up the boost to 1.4 bar without changing the exhaust and intake you will not notice much of a gain at all.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

on evos changing your exhaust and intake automatically ups the boost and will give you much more hp at 1.4 bar. If you just up the boost to 1.4 bar without changing the exhaust and intake you will not notice much of a gain at all.

What is the stock boost of an Evo7?
Why do I keep hearing about 1.4 bar? Is this the maximum boost for the Evo?

And I also don't understand how changing intake and exhaust alone automatically ups the boost. Anyone care to explain?

Thanks

Karl <--- new to Turbo land.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Billy,

The Normal,IL plant didnt have as much to do with Mitsubishi quality issues as their engineering did. From what I have been reading people in Europe and Asia have the same problems that we have in the US. I think things are getting better over time but the VII is still far from perfect. ACD and ACY problems, warped rotors, clutches are a big problem on low mile EVO VII's. How do you think they can afford to manufacture the EVO so cheap anyway?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:11 PM

WRC4ever:

Giving the ability to "breath" better is achieved by upgrading the exhaust and intake. On turbocharged cars, usually 3" exhaust is used for maximum performance. A better up-pipe (catless) will also allow the turbo to spool up faster.

There are plenty of things (mods) that can be done to the Evo, to get more power, etc. Though, reliability and durability will be affected.

Anyone knows how many psi the Evo comes set to? Hope not at 1.4psi.

Would be nice to see some links to aftermarket parts for the Evo VII in Japan, Europe... Any help?
Old Feb 27, 2002, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

VII's are still plagued by the warped rotor issue? Hmm...
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

1 bar = 14.5 psi, 1.4 bar = 20.3 psi. no clue what the stock boost is.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 10:15 AM

Geez.. adding a huge exhaust will not appreciably help. Neither will soley upgrading the turbo. You need to be able to quickly get air into the engine and quickly get it out. Usually, most people start with adding a larger exhaust and smooth out the air intake problems. This is because it is often cheaper than upgrading the turbo, which may require forged pistons, etc, to handle the increased pressure.

As for Mitsubishi's quality... well, it's been poor. Their transmissions in Chrysler minivans are horrible. Timing belts on DSM cars are also famous for going out at a specific mileage (I can't remember the exact one off hand). However, if the car is properly maintained, that little engine can withstand a *lot*.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I havent heard of any problems on the EVO's. I have been lurking around the MLR for a while too. Maybe they dont post about the problems?

Nick
Old Feb 28, 2002, 03:08 PM

Lightbulb

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if you already know this ...

If you would like to look at some tuning options for the EVO VII that's good look at RC Developments site ( www.rcdevelopments.com ). They have a stage 4 kit that will get you around 440 Hp safely. I've read about them in some magazines over here ( Europe) and it looks like they are ok.

Best of regards,
Karl
Old Feb 28, 2002, 09:21 PM

Cool Thanks Karl!

Karl:

Thanks for the information. I will appreciate if anyone else can post any other links. Aftermarket parts, body kits, ECUs, Etc.

Quick Reply: upping boost on evo 7...