Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Resurfacing stock rotors?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resurfacing stock rotors?

Are the stock evo brembo rotors resurfaceable?

My drivers side rotor is driving me nuts, I think it's warped.

About how much does resurfacing usually cost?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have turned my front rotors at 29,000 miles, plently on meat on them at that point. Rear on th eother hand i dont know, they seem to wear faste rthan the front.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

I had my front rotos resurfaced, and new pads at 15000 miles...the dealer told me i didn't have to do it, but the shimmy was driving me crazy. Thing is now the car has 31500 miles, and the pads are still good but i have the shimmy again when i brake.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

I had mine done, now my steering wheel shakes like theres no tumarrow under breaking....so I have been looking for another place to get them turned. But to actually respond to your question, my dealer says yes.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

if it still shakes after turning them then a retard put the rotor on crooked. take it back and have them redo it. if they say its not turnable anymore then they should buy u a new one. but the more u turn it the thinner it gets which means it will heat up faster and can warp easier.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had both my fronts and rears resurfaced at 22k.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually racing right now on resurfaced stock rotors and good pads, so yes, you can do it.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

i just got my stock rotors resurfaced for $40 and it stops wonderful
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

i got mine done at JustBrakes, they resurfaced all rotors and installed the new pads that i ordered for 99 bucks
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

the dealership wanted 900 dollars for a "full brake survice"
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:31 PM

yeah my car did that 2 so i took it 2 the dealer ship and they took of all4 rotors resurfaced them and my car has only 8000 miles on it wow they said this happens bacause you have 2 tuork your rims back on at 80 ibs when you rotate them i said u gotta be sh*t'n so i guess when u rotate ur rims tuork them to 80 ibs !!!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fraser91084
the dealership wanted 900 dollars for a "full brake survice"
What is defined as a "full brake service"? I'd guess and hope that isn't just turning stock rotors and adding new pads.

IIRC when Road & Track had their long term test of the EVO 8, replacing the brakes and tires were two of the few things that were of extreme expense for owning and operating an EVO. But otherwise their car was extremely reliable, fun and otherwise issue free.

IMO I'd just replace the rotors with aftermarket units from a company like Centric and or replace the pads with Cobalt GT sports. I've had extremely good experiences with both of those companies as well as believe it or not Autozone Duralast rotors for the life of my R being autocrossed and tracked frequently.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoshadow
yeah my car did that 2 so i took it 2 the dealer ship and they took of all4 rotors resurfaced them and my car has only 8000 miles on it wow they said this happens bacause you have 2 tuork your rims back on at 80 ibs when you rotate them i said u gotta be sh*t'n so i guess when u rotate ur rims tuork them to 80 ibs !!!
There are several simple reasons that the vibration occurs: Improper or non torquing of the lug nuts to 80 fps is one glaring issue, And uneven deposits of pad compound, As well as hammering the brakes from high speeds and not allowing them to cool properly before coming to a complete stop and or parking immediately and applying your parking brake.

A simple solution is to rotate your own tires and torque everything down yourself. If that's not possible it's hard to make sure the garage jockey at the dealer or local tire place would ever think to do such since they just jam everything on as fast as possible and run it all home with the airgun usually set to uberquick and uberhigh torque for ****s and giggles or just because the tools they use are beat to death and the settings far from precise.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

just had my stock rotors resurfaced at 19K miles, works like a charm now!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

My experience tells me you can get away with resurfacing the rotors but only as a temporary fix. If you drive your car without much aggression you will be fine. I resurfaced my front rotors and they were fine. About 5k later I went to the track one time and they got toasted. I say save you money on labor for resurfacing if you cant do it yourself. I dumped mine for the powerslot rotors that I picked up from steve at no limit. Good product for the price.

Quick Reply: Resurfacing stock rotors?