Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

For all you High-Horsepower guys.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the Advans, then the Pilot A/S, now I have the Falkens and the Pilots were by far the worst performers in the group. Going from slick Advans to new Pilots, I thought that I'd have better traction, boy was I wrong. I knew the first day that I wasn't going to have near the grip, but I bought them for the treadwear; I was driving 30k+ miles a year and would spend a fortune on Advans at that rate. I say let the O.P. think that he got superior performing tires, anyone who knows anything about performance tires will know that they suck compared to either the stockers or the Falkens...

The Pilots did last a long time and were quiet... That is the only good thing that I can say about them. I could not wait to burn them up to get a better tire though.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:10 PM
Account Disabled

Seizure time!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I just chewed my tongue off. Blasted flashing robots!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Stupid question - why the heck didn't you buy them from tirerack???? Much cheaper there ($189 each), and I agree with everyone else that the A/S pilots are inferior to the Advans. I'm a big Bridgestone Potenza S/03 PP fan, personally.

I use my victoracers for the real stick.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said before, my lap times increased by 10 seconds switching from my bald falken RT-615's to a brand new set of Pilot Sport A/S's. If that isn't enough hardcore proof that these tires suck then I don't know what is. You can read off as many of those tire rack reviews as you want, but they were taken in the context of people in the market for an ALL WEATHER TIRE. Compared to other high performance summer tires they are simply terrible. The A/S is made of TWO compounds, the outer corners of the tread are an agressive r-compound like material, and 80 percent of the tread (middle section) is composed of a hard all weather compound. It was NOT MADE for track conditions. END OF STORY.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Varrius
The Advans are only good for up to 168mph. They are W rated. The Pilot's are a much more stable tire in all conditions.
toyo proxes ra1s are also y rated.... are you tryinna tell me your tires outperform dedicated race compounds? rating doesn't mean ****.

it's also funny that michelin themselves recognize this tire as being inferior to the ps2, which in the end has been a better benchmark to compare with the advans.

and you also paid too much.

glad you read the end all tire thread before wasting your money on bad decisions. for over 1000 bucks i could have wheel and tires mounted... damn. where do you get this money?

Last edited by trinydex; Jul 27, 2006 at 02:46 PM.