Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

who drives with their AC on all day??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by negativeB
lately with the heat, i've been using it all the time. what kind of "bad experiences" have you have from using the a/c? did you get raped or something?

I use mine all the time when it's hot or my kids are in the car. Never had any problems and I for sure haven't been *** raped because of it.

BTW- It is recommended that you run your AC at least once per month year around in order to push the oil through the system. If you don't then the rubber seals can dry up and shrink or crack. It's a case of "use it or lose it" with your cars AC system.

I've been doing this with all my cars since I've been driving and I have never had an AC problem at all. I even run it for about 5 minutes each week during the winter. My wife doesn't really care for it but it seems to work.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krafty
I actually get better gas mileage with my A/C on... 25-26mpg, as oppose to the A/C off... 20-21mpg.
I seriously thought I was on crack, but my car does the same exact thing and always has. I honestly cannot figure it out, but I get SIGNIFICANTLY better highway mileage by leaving my AC on the whole trip. For the longest time I just dismissed it. I wonder what the deal is with that.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I live in Texas too, A/C is on constantly. No issues though!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I have used it about 5 times so far this year. My car and idling with the ac on really dont get along to well
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:28 AM

it's been so hot lately I drive with it on all the time. The only thing is to me the car feels so sluggish
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont use it on the way to work, which is before 7am, all windows are down, but on the way home? when its 90+ i have to, otherwise i would probably die, with my mods and 50 miles everyday, idle and everything seems fine.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:31 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clos23
Try not to use it for the most part to save gas. I try to just roll down the windows. But it sucks when it's hot and you're sitting at a stoplight. So I break down every now and then or if my wife's with me.
When you drive with your windows down, you actually waste more gas than if yo had the AC on, and it still won't be as pleasant as if you had the AC on and you can't listen to music.

Key word: air resistance.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:33 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Addicted4Life
A lot of people run their AC all day and don't even know it. They're the ones that put the heater control on defrost and leave it there.
Word, people probably have no clue A/C is on when on defrost beacuse the little AC light is not on
I figured it out because you can hear the compressor kick in and then I noticed my wife's Toyota has the same stupid "feature".
My Honda on the other hand turns the AC light on, so at least you know.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
I seriously thought I was on crack, but my car does the same exact thing and always has. I honestly cannot figure it out, but I get SIGNIFICANTLY better highway mileage by leaving my AC on the whole trip. For the longest time I just dismissed it. I wonder what the deal is with that.
There have been tests done, and I think MythBusters tackled this as well. You WILL actually get better gas mileage with your A/C on instead of having your windows rolled down. When the windows are down, this creates more drag on the car, enough so that you end up using more gas than if you'd roll them up and just let your A/C do it's thing.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SoR
When you drive with your windows down, you actually waste more gas than if yo had the AC on, and it still won't be as pleasant as if you had the AC on and you can't listen to music.

Key word: air resistance.
You beat me to it.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about every day in the summer and I turn it on every friday on my way home from work in the winter just to keep things working properly.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Every Day! All Day!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
I don't know which I loathe more - the artificial-feeling environment courtesy of A/C or sitting in a box with all the windows rolled up. I only run A/C on the hottest days when my children are in the car. Outside of that, I roll the windows down and enjoy the drive.
+1

Only mines on when the gf's in the car...
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

+1 to crapy gas mileage. Honestly I like having windows down anyhow, even in the rain (not rediculous rain but a decent pour). I know, I'm an odd ball ^_~
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

My rule is....with the windows down, if I'm sweating, A/C goes on.