Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Data Logging?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Data Logging?

I'm wondering what program/cable/laptop/palm is the best for OBD2 datalogging?

I'm very new to tuning (need a carb or points adjusted give me a call, but this is new to me)

And I'd like to be able to see knock, codes, all that kind of good stuff. I know I'm not anywhere near experienced enough to start changing values, I would just like something to show me whats going on with the car, and clear codes.

I REALLY wish I could get an Interceptor for the Evo, I love that thing, but I don't think they make one for any evo
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

what I'm really looking for is real-time logging with all aspects viewable from a laptop etc.

Not just a code reader.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Tactrix cable-$85
Evoscan-$15

You can also tune your factory ECU with the cable and the free ECUflash software
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silk
Tactrix cable-$85
Evoscan-$15

You can also tune your factory ECU with the cable and the free ECUflash software
awesome, I know I don't have the skill to tune, and I doubt I ever will lol, I'll leave that to the pros.

Where can I pick up evoscan?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor

i'll be ordering the cable this week as well, but i was wondering what kind of sampling rate the obd2 connection offers? from my understanding it is **** slow and any data you can collect from it would be worthless. sampling rates of at LEAST 10 hz of everything would be ideal. for many things, even faster would be needed to filter anything properly. i'm used to recording at 500Hz and averaging 5 or 10 samples together for a 50-100hz output. that was more then enough for most tuning. i highly doubt the OBD2 can transfer data that quickly to the PC... but you never know.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Ahh, found it.... http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0

1 last question, what kind of lappy do you think I'll need for good, real-time logging? I've sunk about 6k into my desktop, and would like to get off cheap on the laptop, since its ONLY function will be in the evo, and maybe looking at evolutionm.net in the living room
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
i'll be ordering the cable this week as well, but i was wondering what kind of sampling rate the obd2 connection offers? from my understanding it is **** slow and any data you can collect from it would be worthless. sampling rates of at LEAST 10 hz of everything would be ideal. for many things, even faster would be needed to filter anything properly. i'm used to recording at 500Hz and averaging 5 or 10 samples together for a 50-100hz output. that was more then enough for most tuning. i highly doubt the OBD2 can transfer data that quickly to the PC... but you never know.
with a regular OBD2 cable and logger is very slow, but with the Tactrix cable and EVOscan it a lot faster. It says 100-180 sample/sec on the webpage.

http://www.limitless.co.nz/EvoScan/
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mekanic
1 last question, what kind of lappy do you think I'll need for good, real-time logging? I've sunk about 6k into my desktop, and would like to get off cheap on the laptop, since its ONLY function will be in the evo, and maybe looking at evolutionm.net in the living room
+1 I'm curious too.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i'm selling my pocket logger (comes with a PDA, cable and software). let me know if you are interested. it's nice if you don't want to haul a laptop around all the time.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:01 AM

Every Evo owner should have some type of datalogger. You can't go without it, unless of course your evo's only goal is to take you to work and back!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

bump for lappy answer
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
with a regular OBD2 cable and logger is very slow, but with the Tactrix cable and EVOscan it a lot faster. It says 100-180 sample/sec on the webpage.

http://www.limitless.co.nz/EvoScan/
I see between 200-210 samples per second on my laptop.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

nother bump.

Still trying to figure out what the specs on the lappy need to be in order to get smooth logging, and the like.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

nice
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mekanic
nother bump.

Still trying to figure out what the specs on the lappy need to be in order to get smooth logging, and the like.
If you are going to be using EvoScan, their website lists the following requirements!

Supported Operating Systems:
1) Windows XP SP2
2) Windows Server 2003 SP1
3) Windows Vista Beta 2

Laptop Requirements:
Requires installation of Hardware Cable - USB FTDI drivers (installed with ecuflash, or download from http://www.ftdi.com/
Requires installation of Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1
Basically if the laptop can run Windows XP fine, then the software will also be fine.
Since EvoScan v0.8 the software runs really fast even on 500Mhz machines.
To get maximum speed - Disable Log To Screen, and Enable Logging Superspeed.
Less effect is noticed on 2000ghz laptops with a/c power, but slower laptops or laptops running off the battery benefit a lot of speed!
Hope this helps!