Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

INgalls vs Weapon R...dampeners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INgalls vs Weapon R...dampeners

I tryed searching but came up empty, are these tourqe dampeners identical or is there a better one?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda hard to come up empty when searching for those two dampers. There's even a full write-up by SPT, the new owner of EvoM.

I have not seen ANY complaints about the Ingalls, but the old Weapon R was faulty and broke on almost everyone. Weapon R then supposedly made a new version and compensated the owners of the previous version. I have not heard anyone really talk about the new version - most probably just avoided them altogether after the last fiasco and went to Ingalls.

Fwiw, I recommend a $50 front motor mount before either damper, because the damper is just extra weight that tries to compensate for a weak stock bushing. Replacing the stocker with a stronger motor mount eliminates the problem at the source.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
....Fwiw, I recommend a $50 front motor mount before either damper, because the damper is just extra weight that tries to compensate for a weak stock bushing. Replacing the stocker with a stronger motor mount eliminates the problem at the source.

Which front bushing are you using, Warrtalon?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Powerflex one from Forge - best $50 mod on the market until E-flashes, hah!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

the Ingalls is good, I've seen it used on other cars, but they have had problems with the mounting plate bending on other vehicles (cobalt SS/SC)

On the hardest setting you will also get a LOT of engine noise and vibration in the cab.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Go Ingalls. We busted a Weapon-R damper at the Auto-x a few weeks ago. Bracket snapped right in half. weak.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
because the damper is just extra weight that tries to compensate for a weak stock bushing. Replacing the stocker with a stronger motor mount eliminates the problem at the source.
Very true, however what draws me to the damper solution is the adjustability. With the motor mount you are stuck with however it feels, vibrates, etc. On my last car upgraded motor mounts vibrated too much and I would like to be able to adjust that next time around.

Can't argue the price, $50 vs $160.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Use dynomat or equivalent to dampen the vibration between the dampener's mounting plate and the chassis to help keep the vibration transfer down...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:39 PM

We've sold a lot of Ingalls dampeners and none of them have any problems. Ingalls >over> Weapon-r
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:59 PM

I use to have a Weapon-R damper on my Saturn Ion Redline. Ingalls over WR anyday.

The Weapon-R is non adjustable, It's a soft rubber bushing that wears out fast if launched a lot like I did and has to be replaced by them every 2-3 months if you want the best performance.

WR also had bracket problems on the Saturn Ion Redline application as well, not breakage but fitment..