Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lean under boost???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lean under boost???

Ok so ill start with my car. Its a 2003 VIII36k miles. My mods are as follows.

Injen upper and lower IC pipes
Injen Custom Intake W\ cone filter
HKS SSQ (vented no recirc yet)
Megan turbo back with cat delete
MBC at ~20PSI
SAFCII street tuned (by me AFR 11.3-11.6)
AEM UEGO wideband

so The last few days I noticed on cold start the car hardly idles when it does its at about 500 revs the wideband reads --- which is max lean, as soon as the car warms the revs go up to 2k then down to normal idle then the car runs fine. normal driveing everything feels and looks normal but as soon as I boost the car felt held back (this was 4th gear). When I looked at my AFR is was 13.3 so I paniched and backed out of the boost. So I go down a gear and go half throttle as soon as boost started the AFR went to about 15ish and it normally is at 12ish or high 11 around this point. So now I am confused I am guessing I have a fuel pump faliure under load, I am on the stock pump.

So any thoughts? is it a good assumption to look towards the pump at this point?? Thanks -Mike
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EMonz57
Ok so ill start with my car. Its a 2003 VIII36k miles. My mods are as follows.

Injen upper and lower IC pipes
Injen Custom Intake W\ cone filter
HKS SSQ (vented no recirc yet)
Megan turbo back with cat delete
MBC at ~20PSI
SAFCII street tuned (by me AFR 11.3-11.6)
AEM UEGO wideband

so The last few days I noticed on cold start the car hardly idles when it does its at about 500 revs the wideband reads --- which is max lean, as soon as the car warms the revs go up to 2k then down to normal idle then the car runs fine. normal driveing everything feels and looks normal but as soon as I boost the car felt held back (this was 4th gear). When I looked at my AFR is was 13.3 so I paniched and backed out of the boost. So I go down a gear and go half throttle as soon as boost started the AFR went to about 15ish and it normally is at 12ish or high 11 around this point. So now I am confused I am guessing I have a fuel pump faliure under load, I am on the stock pump.

So any thoughts? is it a good assumption to look towards the pump at this point?? Thanks -Mike
Mike,

First of all wrong forum.

Second DO NOT VTA without a standalone.

Third that is definitely too lean for your car. I would shoot for 11.0 in the HOT summer days here in FLorida. In the winter you can shoot for the 11.6 AFR IMO...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:13 PM

is it knocking/detontaing and feeling sluggish when it runs lean?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VTECH8TR
Mike,

First of all wrong forum.

Second DO NOT VTA without a standalone.

Third that is definitely too lean for your car. I would shoot for 11.0 in the HOT summer days here in FLorida. In the winter you can shoot for the 11.6 AFR IMO...
1) sorry didnt know where to post

2) I am waiting on my recirc kit ( I dont plan to stay that way TRUST MEE lol)

3) I know it is way to lean but I am not in FL any more either and yes I am normally around 11.3 AFR all time
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AltezzaBob
is it knocking/detontaing and feeling sluggish when it runs lean?
I dont stay on it long enough to see. the one time when I noticed it ya it felt slow but I was only at about 4k rpms and just hit the gas then let off almost instantly cause I saw the AF stay lean
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

I dont stay on it long enough to see. the one time when I noticed it ya it felt slow but I was only at about 4k rpms and just hit the gas then let off almost instantly cause I saw the AF stay lean
I was gonna ask you to swing by as i live in Land O Lakes, but your not here. I would dial the boost down to 18 psi until you get the recirc kit, that should also make the car run a tad richer. Without it your car is running rich between shhifts which is not a good thing, but at least you are killing the mosquitoes .
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

I was gonna ask you to swing by as i live in Land O Lakes, but your not here. I would dial the boost down to 18 psi until you get the recirc kit, that should also make the car run a tad richer. Without it your car is running rich between shhifts which is not a good thing, but at least you are killing the mosquitoes .
Well I am rich bettween shifts but I am slightly tuned on the SAFC the best I could for it, the car doesnt stumble any longer on shifts but like I said not going to keep it vented for longer than I have too.

But back to my AFR do you think I am looking at a pump faliure or something further?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well I am rich bettween shifts but I am slightly tuned on the SAFC the best I could for it, the car doesnt stumble any longer on shifts but like I said not going to keep it vented for longer than I have too.

But back to my AFR do you think I am looking at a pump faliure or something further?
I am just kidding on the VTA BOV . Its your car and your choice.

It could be a # of things. It could be the fuel pump or a boost leak. Perform a leak boost on the car to see if you have any leaks. It is very easy to make one. Have you looked at the car over yet? Loose clamps etc....
Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

I am just kidding on the VTA BOV . Its your car and your choice.

It could be a # of things. It could be the fuel pump or a boost leak. Perform a leak boost on the car to see if you have any leaks. It is very easy to make one. Have you looked at the car over yet? Loose clamps etc....
I have not looked for any leaks, not sure why I would have one I havent touched anything since I did my IC pipes and BOV back about a month or so ago and I have since ran 22-23#s on race gas without blowing off a hose or any of that jazz. Ill check that stuff out to start with but another thought is my boost did not leak on the gauge reading

as for the BOV it drives me insane being loud anyways but I make do with what I got for now.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

Yes thats very lean indeed. But i run leaner than that daily. 12.1-11.9 granted im on 100 though. Check all your SAFC settings and intercooler pipes. But i think that if u had a boost leak u would run rich. Maybe a fuel press. problem?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

Just a thought maybe your ugo is malfunctioning???
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

try re-calibrating the uego
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:07 PM

I have allmost the exact same problem.. I'm recirced with a forge DV. .. here is my on-going thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...isengaged.html