Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evading arrest? wtf

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evading arrest? wtf

ok so i just got out of jail! i was driving home an i decided to go for a lil joy ride through dis curvy road down by my house. I speed thru the turns then i slow down an start cruisin normal speed. I look in my rearview a cop is haulin *** behind me and pulls me over. i pull right over. an he tells me to get out of the car and arrests me....saying i was "Evading arrest". I never saw the cop even. As soon as i saw red an blue lights behind me i pulled over. newayz has anyone had a similar experience? ive never been in any trouble with the law and ive only had my evo for a month.. it really sucks that this had to happen to me out of nowhere. the code is VC 2800.2 (a)
any info would be great thanx....
Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pashasevo
ok so i just got out of jail! i was driving home an i decided to go for a lil joy ride through dis curvy road down by my house. I speed thru the turns then i slow down an start cruisin normal speed. I look in my rearview a cop is haulin *** behind me and pulls me over. i pull right over. an he tells me to get out of the car and arrests me....saying i was "Evading arrest". I never saw the cop even. As soon as i saw red an blue lights behind me i pulled over. newayz has anyone had a similar experience? ive never been in any trouble with the law and ive only had my evo for a month.. it really sucks that this had to happen to me out of nowhere. the code is VC 2800.2 (a)
any info would be great thanx....
Get a good lawyer and try and prove you didn't evade arrest, all I can say bud. I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you didn't answer any questions.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

sux to be you get a good lawyer
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:00 PM
Account Disabled

Wait ..if you have never been in trouble...why were you in jail in the first place?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gatorade
Wait ..if you have never been in trouble...why were you in jail in the first place?
If you evade arrest, or commit a felony, it's up to the police officer to take you in, irregardless of if you've been in trouble before. I.E. If you shot someone, you can't just get off since you never got in trouble.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

damn! that is rediculous! what did they tow your car with? i hope it was a flatbed
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

You were obviously evading arrest if you described the policeman as "hauling *** behind me", because you were hauling more *** because you were in front of him.

Scorke
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Varrius
If you evade arrest, or commit a felony, it's up to the police officer to take you in, irregardless of if you've been in trouble before. I.E. If you shot someone, you can't just get off since you never got in trouble.
Sorry dude it is "regardless" not what you typed. What you typed means "not regardless".

Anyways goodluck man get a good lawyer.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
You were obviously evading arrest if you described the policeman as "hauling *** behind me", because you were hauling more *** because you were in front of him.

Scorke
+1
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:12 PM
Admin Alumni

Not to bash you because that's not what I want to do here, but check this out:

You were speeding through turns on a curvy road ("joy ride"). All that I got directly from your post. I am just making assumptions here because I don't have the facts, but I will say you were above the speed limit. Possibly not, but you tell me. Perhaps too fast for the road/conditions? Ok, so we have that, and you're in an EVO. Not illegal by itself, but we have all gotten harassed by the cops just because we have this car. So now you go by this cop who must have been hiding somewhere. And he sees the high speed, and the curvy road, and the EVO, and he tries to catch up. And he's thinking 'reckless driving, speeding, possible illegal mods', and he's racing to get you because you are so far ahead. So now he thinks, 'this guy is running from me'. And you stop, and he's all pumped up because he thinks he's 'chasing' you.

At this point, I take it that you are playing it cool like the post says, and even though you don't know what's going on, you're respectful and polite. And he overreacts and arrests you.

All of that was going on in his head and he made a snap decision to arrest you. Was it correct? Don't know, I wasn't the arresting officer. If he was wrong, it will all come out at court, and he's going to look pretty stupid. My advice, for what it's worth, is to get a lawyer, go to court and put your best possible side front and center.

Last edited by SASD209; Aug 2, 2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Evading a Peace Officer: Reckless Driving

280.2. (a) If a person flees or attempts to elude a pursuing peace officer in violation of Section 2800.1 and the pursued vehicle is driven in a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property, the person driving the vehicle, upon conviction, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or by confinement in the county jail for not less than six months nor more than one year. The court may also impose a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) nor more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or may impose both that imprisonment or confinement and fine.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:16 PM

I just went to court yesterday for recless driving. I was just cruzing on the local strip on a friday night you know flawsin the evo a little and I came up behind a slow azz grama in the fast lane so I flip my blinker on, boost the turbo and change lanes, a light was coming up so I passed the car before the light aka cut them off I was going like 50 in a 40 so I slow down and notice a freaken cop in the rear view so I hurry and pull over. Anyways the cop was freaking out and I was being very polite he says "what is this a race car" I say no, really thinking hell ya did'nt you hear the bushur turbo back catless exhaust ha ha. then he says then why you drivin it like a race car then". I thought he was gonna arrest me for sure he was all hyped up, any way he comes back and gives me a tickit for reckless driving I was sweating it cause you can lose you license for that but I just got a 250$ fine and 80 points on my driving record. I say get a lawer if you can afford it but I dont think you'll need one just tell the prosecuter at pre trial what happend and I bet the will let you plead guilty to a lesser charge. if not plead not guilty get a lawer or just beg the judge. When i explained my case to the judge he said that dosent sound like recless driving to me just an improper pass but the state wouldent budge cause I guess its recless driving iff a cop sees you brake 3 or more traffic laws, so the judge just lowered the fine from 500 to 250 he was cool.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SASD209
Not to bash you because that's not what I want to do here, but check this out:

You were speeding through turns on a curvy road ("joy ride"). All that I got directly from your post. I am just making assumptions here because I don't have the facts, but I will say you were above the speed limit. Possibly not, but you tell me. Perhaps too fast for the road/conditions? Ok, so we have that, and you're in an EVO. Not illegal by itself, but we have all gotten harassed by the cops just because we have this car. So now you go by this cop who must have been hiding somewhere. And he sees the high speed, and the curvy road, and the EVO, and he tries to catch up. And he's thinking 'reckless driving, speeding, possible illegal mods', and he's racing to get you because you are so far ahead. So now he thinks, 'this guy is running from me'. And you stop, and he's all pumped up because he thinks he's 'chasing' you.

At this point, I take it that you are playing it cool like the post says, and even though you don't know what's going on, you're respectful and polite. And he overreacts and arrests you.

All that was going on in his head and he made a snap decision to arrest you. Was it correct? Don't know, I wasn't the arresting officer. If he was wrong, it will all come out at court, and he's going to look pretty stupid. My advice, for what it's worth, is to get a lawyer, go to court and put your best possible side front and center.
^ good post.

good luck man.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

THe Evo is a cop magnet. Drive it slow get a ticket, drive it fast get a ticket. Police think this car is going fast when it is parked. Get used to it.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the other guy said" get a good laywer and hope for the best".

I can sympathize with you, I had a similar experience. Hauling serious butt on some local twisties. Looked up in the rearview and saw the lights. Pulled over immediatly, cop said he had been chasing me down for about a mile or so. I told him I had no idea hes was there, which I did'nt. He was really cool and let me off with a driving at unreasonable speed or something like that. It could been much worse. Sounds like you got a cop with a bad attitude. Im sure you will be able to fight the charges in court and at least get it knocked down to a misdominor. Looks like it may cost ya though.