Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Newer Evo IXs vs Older Evo IXs.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Varrius
Yeah, but my car isn't stock. I didn't plan on leaving it stock, either. I run a 1.4 in 4 gears, they run it in 5. That shift hurts their trap and E/T.
+1

Whats in my sig is what I had planned from the beginning as well.... 4 gears will always be faster than 5 assuming the mods are the same.

Last edited by teknishnIX; Aug 2, 2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by teknishnIX
link?
+1. I just searched for it. Closest thing I came up with was Motortrends comparison of the Evo VIII, RS, and MR. But not the IX models.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

+1. I just searched for it. Closest thing I came up with was Motortrends comparison of the Evo VIII, RS, and MR. But not the IX models.
Same here... IX is a completely different ball game.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

It's not that I don't respect the MR. It's just that, if you're gonna modify it, stick to the 5-speed that has worked on these cars for ten+ years. The MR is a car I would buy if I was going to keep it stock and wanted a less harsh ride. I plan to change the suspension and rims, etc. Which will be better than the BBS and Bilstein's. So it depends on your outlook. If you just want an Evo to drive everyday and that's that, then the MR is the car for you. But for drag, modifying, etc. Go with the 5 speed. From what I've heard, a guy coming from an VIII MR to a IX GSR said the 6 speed requires another 1,000 RPMs just to get it going. He complained that because of the Turbo's lag it wasn't a good transmission. The extra-shifts weren't good for boost hold, e/t, nor trap.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by teknishnIX
+1

4 gears will always be faster than 5 assuming the mods are the same.

you are strictly speaking with evo IXs with stock transmissions right?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
you are strictly speaking with evo IXs with stock transmissions right?
Yes
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone post a pic of this "blue" manifold heat shield? Mine looks just like my 2003 Evo 8 did.... I'd be VERY interested to see if they changed something that minimal all in the same model run. FYI I picked up my IX last December...
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Can someone post a pic of this "blue" manifold heat shield? Mine looks just like my 2003 Evo 8 did.... I'd be VERY interested to see if they changed something that minimal all in the same model run. FYI I picked up my IX last December...
Blue manifold heatshield? No, the Exhaust MANIFOLD its self was kinda bluish.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

It's not that I don't respect the MR. It's just that, if you're gonna modify it, stick to the 5-speed that has worked on these cars for ten+ years. The MR is a car I would buy if I was going to keep it stock and wanted a less harsh ride. I plan to change the suspension and rims, etc. Which will be better than the BBS and Bilstein's. So it depends on your outlook. If you just want an Evo to drive everyday and that's that, then the MR is the car for you. But for drag, modifying, etc. Go with the 5 speed. From what I've heard, a guy coming from an VIII MR to a IX GSR said the 6 speed requires another 1,000 RPMs just to get it going. He complained that because of the Turbo's lag it wasn't a good transmission. The extra-shifts weren't good for boost hold, e/t, nor trap.
After having two trannies in my 03, three diferent transfer cases, I can tell you I really appreciate the 6 speed and the rest of the quiet drivetrain. The 05's MRs got the same tranny as well, but its just so much smoother. It doesnt take 1k RPMs higher to launch either, I usually take off at about 1200 rpm each time. If anything it feels like it's geared perfect.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

After having two trannies in my 03, three diferent transfer cases, I can tell you I really appreciate the 6 speed and the rest of the quiet drivetrain. The 05's MRs got the same tranny as well, but its just so much smoother. It doesnt take 1k RPMs higher to launch either, I usually take off at about 1200 rpm each time. If anything it feels like it's geared perfect.
You LAUNCH at 1200RPMS? What's your E/T like 15s? Wow. Unless your 03 had like MAJOR WHP and WTQ. Then you probably either had a lemon or couldn't drive stick.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Blue manifold heatshield? No, the Exhaust MANIFOLD its self was kinda bluish.
Really?! Must have read it wrong but now I'm more mad heh... My effin MANIFOLD is rustier than a sob.

I wonder if people actually started using their anti-corrosion warranty hehe... I knew this tech at a dealership one time and he was telling me I could get away with requested a new manifold. This was a few years ago though...

I still want pics of the blue manifold!! please!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

You LAUNCH at 1200RPMS? What's your E/T like 15s? Wow. Unless your 03 had like MAJOR WHP and WTQ. Then you probably either had a lemon or couldn't drive stick.
No I was saying in my 6 speed, I can take off at 1200 rpms. Guess I shouldnt have said launch, I confused you.

On my 03, the transfer case burnt out driving from Portland to Seattle one time, but that was because it didnt have oem fluid in it. Dealer fixed that one.

Second TC went out along with first gear when I got some bad wheel hop at Pacific. Track sucked by its still my fault. Dealer fixed those also.

Each new transfer case sounded just as bad as the last too. Installed correctly I would hope... the tech had a DSM garage who did countless installs.

Now the MR.... it feels like heaven. Tranny so silky smooth and drivetrain so damn quiet. You actually dont have to have the radio on to not sound like your in a dump truck

Last edited by boostedwrx; Aug 2, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

i would like to see it also...but the whole different ec maps....it's an Evolution.....it not like the day fire was discovered...they had xboxes too. change little bits at a time.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sllt1776
i would like to see it also...but the whole different ec maps....it's an Evolution.....it not like the day fire was discovered...they had xboxes too. change little bits at a time.
Yes, I know. But by law, we could demand they upgrade ours to that standard, or raise the price on the changed models. It's not legal. But they know we can't really figure something like that out, even the manifold thing. We could take that pretty far if you look at it.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Both of the trannies have been improved in the IXs over the VIII. And both also have completely new/different ratios to work in concert with MIVEC.

Quick Reply: Newer Evo IXs vs Older Evo IXs.