Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Max boost?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max boost?

Would you feel alright going to 23 psi spike, settle to about 21 on pump gas (93), no alky, mods are just TBE, boost controller and a boost gauge.
Searched and didnt find anything, but i suck at searching so if you do post the links.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you will ok. but i would turn it down to liek 21 to be safe. because if you were on 4th or 5th gear it will spike/boost even more.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah! with tuning i wont worried about it, but just with TBE and BC being the performance upgrade i will stay at or below 21psi.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't try to push so hard on 93oct with an VIII. Just stick with 21-22psi when tuned and 21psi until then, especially if you have no way of monitoring knock/timing/AFRs.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

i have an VIII and i'm tuned on 23 psi from TT
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

But unfortunately, your car is not that fast.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

o man i contridicted you and you throw out a middle school insult, golf clap for you.
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
But unfortunately, your car is not that fast.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

rofl. Ok ill take it off to like 22 psi, havent even put in my MBC yet so... Now im going to make another thread about another problem that just came up today...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Losing Boost at 5700 RPM?

Ok heres the stuation. My car is a nearly stock '03 VIII. I have a TBE installed now, with a flash. I have a autometer cobalt boost gauge that I installed last night. The boost gauge is tapped into the FPR vacumm line that is really close to the hole in the firewall on the passenger side of the car. Line runs to a steering columm mounted gauge pod. My problem now. is today was the first time I took my car up to redline, or even drove fast since I put in the gauge. I took it from first to second pulling hard. I hit about 5700 RPM (give or take) and my boost drops from around 20 psi, to ten, nearly instantly ( as fast as the gauge can move) i feel the car fall off. I then took it out out to a dusty road and ran first to second to third to fourth and it fell off in all four gears. (didnt even go into fifth). Sleet told me it sounds like a boost leak, and I hear a noise that sounds like a leak when my boost starts to drop off and feathers around between five and ten PSI. My only concern is that if its a boost leak then why am i not feeling it between hitting full boost and 5700 rpm's? Any input is welcome. I looked over the engine bay and cannot see any vacumm lines disconnected or intercooler pipes blown off( i think i could have figured that problem out on my own). Thanks for your time all.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I would unhook it where you tapped into the FPR line and cap it off.. see if the problem goes away. If it does, you know it's something with your tubing, or the gauge itself may be leaking (though I think you'd really hear it pretty loudly).
Old Aug 6, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Problem solved in his other thread. It was the classic intake snorkel problem. I need to come up with a name for it.

Aikido, not sure how that had anything to do with middle school. The point is you just said you're tuned on 23psi without giving any reasoning, any results, or any benefit to doing such. I happen to know that your car isn't very fast (as do you) and certainly not as fast as other cars only pushing 21-22psi, so I pointed that out to help KartaRailed make his decision. Just the facts...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 02:27 PM

Just a quesiton for Warratalon...

Are you a tuner?
You give alot of advice just want to know your background thats all.

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraZee EVO

Are you a tuner?

Thanks
Youre talking with the most well known and knowledgable Evo advisor known to EvoM that isnt a shop owner. Believe me on that...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CraZee EVO

Are you a tuner?

Thanks
No, I'm not a tuner by any stretch of the imagination. I self-tuned with an SAFC for years on my DSMs and then my Evo for the first 6 months or so, but once I got my first flash, the SAFC became my backup. I continued to use it for race gas situations at the track until I got alky with a custom flash, which is when the SAFC got removed for daily driving. I still keep it for backup and for SCCA events where alky is illegal, and I have to use race gas with my own retune. Once I get my multiple custom maps made by Al, I'll no longer need the SAFC for that either, since I can use EcuFlash to switch between maps for each racing event.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

i don't know how you know anything about my car but keep running your mouth keyboard ninja. I really don't care what you think. I only quoted what i did because u said not to run 23psi, well turbotrix thought it would be safe for me to run that with my few bolt-ons and a tune, and i make 315whp and about 320wtq. But your right i suppose i know i'm not a better driver then you, but thats life, theres always a better driver and a faster car. At least i'm not a douche bag.
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Problem solved in his other thread. It was the classic intake snorkel problem. I need to come up with a name for it.

Aikido, not sure how that had anything to do with middle school. The point is you just said you're tuned on 23psi without giving any reasoning, any results, or any benefit to doing such. I happen to know that your car isn't very fast (as do you) and certainly not as fast as other cars only pushing 21-22psi, so I pointed that out to help KartaRailed make his decision. Just the facts...