Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ECUTEK Boost control

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECUTEK Boost control

hey guys..
i know this might not be the rght forum to ask tuning questions but i purposely posted here in order to retreive the most answers ASAP..

i am going for a custom dyno tune using EcuTek software next week...my local EcuTek tuner/dealer informed me that he will be able to control boost via the stock ecu..
however...from my research on this site..i have noticed that most (if not all) ecutek users have installed some kind of boost control (be it Manual or Electrical)...
my goal is to boost 22psi tappering down to 21psi...is this achievable without a boost control solution or not?
if not...what is the best route to go...

just for reference..my mods are:

Full 3" TBE
Works Drop in filter
HKS SSQV

thanks a million in advance.

Respect
Moose
Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To raise the boost above stock without a boost controller, they must use modified boost hoses to achieve it. It's not direct control like you'd think through the ECU, but with the right combination of restrictor pills, you can achieve higher-than-stock boost levels with reduced taper given by the EcuTek tune.

The worst thing you can do is continue using that HKS SSQV.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for your reply warr...

where do you think i can get those restrictor pills and hoses from?

thanks
Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that's the thing. There aren't just random hoses and pills you get. The tuner has to know exactly how to make them and use them in conjunction with their tuning in order to achieve the desired result. Place like Vishnu and Works do this exclusively with their flashes instead of using boost controllers, but they have mastered it and know exactly what to do for their tuning style. You wouldn't want to combine your local tuner's method with someone else's pills/hoses. The tuner needs to know how to do it.