Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Long Term" Update on 05 Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Long Term" Update on 05 Evo

Maybe not quite long term, but I have had my 05 Apex Silver 1 year now and thought I would bore you with details.

Current mileage is 13,234 and still going (7 when purchased).

Problems:
Squeaks and rattles, minor, but sometimes annoying (especially with sunroof shade open).
Oil consumption is about 2 1/2 quarts. First 3,750 had to add a quart, but after that it has improved more with miles, only added 1/2 quart last time (between oil changes at 3,750).

Brakes, squeal when cold and sometimes out of the blue, but no other brake issue.

AWD noises seem a little louder, but some of that may be miles on ADVANs (10,000 with less than half tread left, 3,000 miles on ECTSA ASX for snow-did great).

By the way, did everyone get the EVO brochure from Mitsubishi, that said oil consumption, break squeak, etc. was normal for your high performance evo, I thought it was funny (guess that is their fix, Ha)

Power, never get tired of the turbo whistle

Handling, very stable, was awesome this winter as well

Road feel, I think I will forever be spoiled, try driving a Taurus or Malibu on a long trip after being used to the EVO (company cars).

Highest MPG - 27, lowest MPG 20, Averaging 22-24 consistently.

Services from Mitsubishi have been about $50 each trip, and no problems with service department.

Upgrades: Mitu shift knob, Alpine stereo (drowns out rattles better), vortex generators, tint, EVO badge.

Seems to be shifting a little smoother now, but still a little rough first thing in the morning. Other than the rattles, squeaks and insurance cost (I switched and saved $600 per year on insurance this year after reading many threads here) I have enjoyed the car. The only thing I would change would be a smoother shifter, my wife has an S2000 so I may be spoiled, but it seems harsh by comparison and rough compared to other vehicles I have owned. It could use a little less turbo lag, but seems the XI addressed this (I haven't driven one). Overall a good experience so far, no track time, and it is my daily driver. I am glad so many of you contribute your information, I search and read through here anytime I have a problem, Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

great post

For the shifter you might want to look into aftermarket bushings, I hear those clear that up quite a bit
Old Aug 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

sounds good!! i havent run into any squeaks and rattles yet *knock on wood* i've got 18.5K on the clock, no probs whatsoever!!

i cant wait to mod the *****
Old Aug 7, 2006, 03:50 PM

I don't know how you can stand to be stock It was driving me crazy
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mekanic
great post
For the shifter you might want to look into aftermarket bushings, I hear those clear that up quite a bit
Yes, agreed 100% and get a front engine mount. A cable shifter gets sloppy because of the engine movement. You don't need any stupid "band-aid" fluids, the factory stuff is great.

I'm going to hit 10k miles in a few months, glad to hear you're having such an enjoyable time (and good experience) with the car. (:
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

good post
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

im in the same boat as you......no problems so far. and as far as smoother shifting goes, get a stiffer front engine bushing/mount. works really well, been using the forge powerflex front bushing for 7k now. and thats with changing driveline fluids w/ OEM once.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:25 PM
Admin Alumni

Sounds good so far, so I will add my own:

'05 Graphite Grey MR, now 1 year and 2 months old, 6,412 miles

3 oil changes into it, all with Mobil synthetic, 1st at 500, next at around 1,000, next at 5000. All done myself to save on dealer costs. I know they are too frequent, but I like it like that. Never needed to add oil.

Almost NO mods...a HKS carbon-Ti cat-back exhaust, and then some CT legal tints and a relocation of the radio and gauges (just switched them), aftermarket viper alarm, and fuel line kill switch.

Tires are holding up well, will need new ones by 9K miles or so. (I take corners fast)

Clutch is still good, no really heavy action to kill it yet. Grabs like the first week I had it.

No strange rattles or noises, brakes still good.

Getting around 20-22 MPG on 93 octane gas; combo of city/highway = 50/50.

This car is exceeding all of my expectations. I have not driven it in the snow (have another vehicle for that) and rarely drive it in the rain. I do leave it parked in the sun on most days and have no issues with the wing or the paint. (have heard there are some problems).

I have not dealt with any Mitsu dealerships, so I have no horror stories to tell! This car still performs like the beast I picked up at the dealership and I have none of the maint. issues I had with my previous BMW 330Ci.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like you have an oil leak or something. Do you have any built up oil residue on or around the oil pan or anywhere underneath the car? Try using the UV oil dye + blacklight to locate any leaks.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have over 30k and my 05 still runs great, you guys have nothing to worry about if you change your fluids.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly8R
By the way, did everyone get the EVO brochure from Mitsubishi, that said oil consumption, break squeak, etc. was normal for your high performance evo, I thought it was funny (guess that is their fix, Ha)
I had a good laugh from that brochure as well.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:21 AM

informative. good post
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MaxR
I have over 30k and my 05 still runs great, you guys have nothing to worry about if you change your fluids.
30K on an 05! WOW!!!!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
30K on an 05! WOW!!!!

I bought my 05 Apex Silver Evo December 2004.

I currently have 36k miles on her. I drove like I stole her the day I got her. Mods done to the car are in my sig.

Oil changes every 3500 miles. I change my tranny fluid every 10k miles as well. Spark plugs are changed at 10k intervals.

Stock tires went at 12k miles. Warped rotors at 26k miles which I then upgraded to Stoptech OEM rotors - Ferodo pads - Stoptech steel braided lines. Comp cams (272's) and a custom tune August 18th!

As long as you do you maintenance you shouldn't have any problems with your car.

I still get this silly grin on my face when I mash the go peddle to the floor.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Got 17k on my 04 now and NOTHING, had it knocking like my ex at the door, after a bad tune NOTHING, clutch = perfect, rattles: well the greddy ti makes my ears ring like after a club night but NOTHING, motor: PERFECT, geez this should be stickied for peeps deciding on an evo. Tons of mods and pulls like a freight train. WE love our evos, not sure what car I should get after this...sooooo spoiled.