Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me with MR Temp Gage swap..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with MR Temp Gage swap..

Yes I have searched... Mabey Im in the wrong forum but I wanted all you smart people to see my post & help me with your knowledge. I installed an Autometer Electromic Temp Gage in place of the factory gage on my MR. There are 5 wires from original gage. The wires are as follows,
yellow = pos. for light,
black = ground for light,
red = pos. for temp gage.
There also is a white wire & a white wire with blue stripe. My new Autometer Gage has 3 tabs. 1 for positive, 1 for sensor, & 1 for ground. I have the red wire to the positive on gage. I have the ground tab connected to a ground wire to the body (checked continuity & its definatly grounded). I have tried the white wire & the white wire with blue stripe on the sensor tab & both wires together. When I turn the key on no matter what the needle on gage moves to about 140 deg. farenheit & stays there no matter what the oil temp. I plug the factory gage back in & it works fine. Am I doing something wrong? What wires do I use? Will the factory wires even work for the Autometer Gage? If I cant get a reply that works I guess I will put in the temp sensor that came with the gage.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

so you swapped the MR oil temp gauge with a autometer oil temp gauge??? why?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Your best bet is to replace the sensor- it's integrated into the drain plug on the MR. Did you find a gauge that fits the factory gauge panel or are you using bigger gauges?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

You have to use the sensor that is provided with the gauge. They're calibrated to work together.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input! I needed at least a 35 lb. boost gage so I bought the 52mm three gage panel fom Grupp-S & some Autometer Gages from another vendor. Thats why Im switching out the stock MR gages. The panel looks awesome in the car with the gages angled toward the driver. I guess I will install the sensor that came with the gage so I can have accurate temps.