Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gonna fix this bumper rattle from subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna fix this bumper rattle from subwoofers

OK, I am sick of this and had to much....

So i am looking on this forum and numerous other forums about this bumper rattle (very loud rattle) and all i can find is people saying they have it and then other people saying to turn the music down, or dyno mat the truck then out of no where the topic swerves off course and they are talking about subwoofer boxes and what makes them sound the best (ported or sealed)!!!! So i am going to d what should be done. I am writing this to let you know that i am going out side, turning my stereo up to where i normally have it and start taking parts off... bumper, bumper support, use my stethoscope and keep digging until i find all the rattles. I dont want to hear, turn your stereo down because if i wanted to listen to it a a low volume I WOULDNT BE COMPLAINING CUZ I WOULD HAVE A RATTLE!!!! but i do have a rattle. and sure i could take the bumper and everything off and go dynomat crazy and cover everything... but that doesnt tell me what the problem was. I admit it is 3 or 4 rattles (not the licence plate) but there is one insanely loud one (drivers side next to the bumper and the gas tank). So I am going to do what someone should have done a long time ago... not tell you what i think it is or tell you to go and dynomat the whole bumper, trunk, backseat, wiring... cuz unlike everyone else i am not trying to add extra pounds to my car, my car is a street/track car.... i removed my brake sheilds just to take off 1 pound, shows you how much i dont want to add weight.
When i find out what the rattle(s) is/are I will post pictures and tell you what i did to fix it.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Keep us posted on what u find. I for one am sick of the rattle caused by the third brake light cover rattling against the window everytime the bass hits hard. It's very annoying...I also used to have a rattle from the license plate surround, but it went away when i took it off. For now all i have is the third brake light rattle from hell...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

haha, sounds to me like you got a rattle.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

If you didn't want to add extra weight, why did you add subs? That doesn't make any sense because most sytems can get pretty heavy.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

dump the subs
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

No, don't dump the subs. You need the loud subs so you don't go insane from the exhaust note. Let us know what ya find.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont have an evo but i get a pretty bad rattle from my rear bumper(not license plate) as well...If I put pressure on the bump the rattle goes away a little but the 2 10's that i have rattle everything including the grill on my hood and what sounds like my front bumper. My front windshield even flexes on certain notes...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

OK, the reason i have subs even though i dont want to add extra weigh is because if i go to the track to race i can take the 10 minutes to unbolt my subs and amp to take them out. It is a little harder if i put a ton of Dynomat under the bumper and in the trunk lining.

Also i have found out why no one has took the time to find this rattle. as of today this is a list of everything i have removed from the car... Bumper, bumper support, taillights, wiring for taillights and trunk and i few other small items AND I STILL HAVE THIS INSANELY LOUD RATTLE. Sounds like it may be coming from central vortex in the 5th dimentional processor or it may be that teleporter i installed . The rattle is litterally coming from nothing. In all seriousness now i am thinking that maybe it isnt a rattle... i mean it is a rattle but not something rattling... basically i am thinking that the problem is the fact that the vents that are in the trunk (to neutralize the air pressure of the vehical), I dont think that they are allowing pressure from the air movement that the subwoofers make to pass through fast enough. The reason i feel that is it is because when i removed the plastic vents, and just had a hole, the rattling noise became a little quieter. BUT if i covered the hole with a a plastic bag, so that no air could pass through, the rattle got louder.

So to sum it up I think that the subs make to much pressure in the trunk which pressurizes the trunk just enough to flex the thin metal in the bottom part of the trunk (out and in numerous times in a second) which may be creatating a noise that sounds like a rattle.

BUT i dont know that for sure so tomorrow i am continuing the search for the mysterious rattle... The car is not going back together until i either find the rattle or figure out what is making the noise.

I will keep you up to date
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:59 PM

*2 weeks later* just put the bumper back on after driving around for 2 weeks without it. i figured out that the rattle never existed and its been all in my head. thank you.