Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

verifying research re:compression values

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
verifying research re:compression values

I found slightly different ranges of compression as being acceptable. one said expect from 170-190 psi with poor comrpression being a reading of 150. Other sources stated 138-163 psi and no variance between cylinders more than 14 psi. Does compression change from '03 to '04 etc.?

obviously these ranges do not overlap, so what would be a good reading in one range would be wholly unacceptable according to the other.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I am going to pick up the car this coming Mon. and I want to perform a compression check on it along with checking a few other things before handing over the cabbage. :] If the year makes a difference, it is an '03 w/8K on the clock and some mis-matched mods on it :/ Greddy ebc; some cold(warm :] ) air intake; cat-back of ill repute. They can be fixed!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

edit...By the way, is this the right forum to post this on? Or should it be in the drivetrain forum?

Last edited by VT Mitsu; Aug 9, 2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A reading of 138 is geting pretty low for these engines. New they are around 180. Depending on the millage, I wouldn't be pleased with much lower than 150 on a EVO thats 3 years old at most. Generally you want all the numbers to be with in 10% of each other, some people say 15%.

I've had cars that were as low as 90 psi in a cylinder and they ran pretty good. but they were some tired 1G DSm engines, probably ready to drop a cylinder at any point. pluss a good amount of oil comsumption

Remember a compression test is a good idea, but it dosn't tell everything. Its possible to have a blown Head gasket and still have good compression.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting. A leakdown test would show a blown head gasket, correct? I know the "put a bit of oil in the cylinder to differentiate between a blown ring and bad valve/valve seats" method.

Thanks for the input.

Any other evo-specific suggestions/ things I should check? The list I've compiled so far is as follows:

Check the seals around the transfer case; check for tc whine in general when buying used

Check seals on transmission and rear end/differential

Make sure the temp control in the hvac system changes air temps appropriately

Check clutch for slippage.

Thanks again fo rthe help!

Tom
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yes a leak down test would show a blown head gasket. If your looking at car and trying to decide if you want to buy it, genrally a blown head gasket is not too big a concern. I mean if your looking at a car that only a couple years old and its smoking like mad, or making some nasty noises I would probably keep looking. Give it a compression test if the seller will let you, its still a pretty good indication of a healthy running engine.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

As far as the other things to look for, I'm not too sure on the EVO specifics. i have only owned mine for 2 weeks and have yet to start it I'd search here for things to look for, I know I have heard other people mention the things you said.

When looking at any car check to see what kind of general shape its in. If its clean (especially under the hood) theres a good chance it was taken care of. Ask to see maintainence reciepts, ect.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Good suggestions, Thanks.

Hopefully the parts come in soon for the 2.3 so you can get that thing running :]

Tom
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Got every thing here except the rod bearings, and my Mitsu service manual I ordered a week before every thing else

I have friday off work and am planning to assemble it then My ecitment is building.

Godd luck on your search for one of your own.