Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

E-Bay ID EVOLUTIONSTI....LOOK!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Bay ID EVOLUTIONSTI....LOOK!!!

Sorry is this is the wrong forum admins, but I am trying to figure out what is going on and contact has not been successful so far. Basically, I sold some intercooler couplers on e-bay that I got payment from via paypal. I shipped the items already the day after the auction ended. Paypal then sent me an e-mail stating the following: (BTW, the e-mail from Paypal does not apear to be spoofed)

Dear Kristopher XXXX,

We were recently notified that one of your buyers used an account that has been associated with possible unauthorized use. The following PayPal transaction has been reversed, and the funds have been debited from your account:

Transaction ID: 9SU881706W577470L
Transaction Date: Aug. 7, 2006
Transaction Amount: $40.00 USD
Buyer's Email: elhalisf2@xxxxxxx.com
Buyer's Name: faisa xxxxx

To help in our investigation, please reply with the following information within seven calendar days:

1. The purchased item and the value of the item.
2. The name and address given to you by the buyer.
3. Whether or not the item has been shipped. (If you have not yet sent the item, do not ship it.) 4. If you have already shipped the item, please provide the name of the shipping provider, date of shipment, and tracking number, so that PayPal can verify the shipment and delivery.(For transactions of $250.00 USD or more, you must provide a proof-of-receipt in the form of a signature from the buyer.) 5. Details of any other payments you sent or received that were related to the above transaction.
6. Your day and evening phone numbers.

We would like to obtain as much information as possible about the above transaction, including any email correspondence between you and the buyer, in order to expedite this investigation. Solving potentially fraudulent cases helps us continue to offer PayPal as a secure and cost-effective payment service. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

PayPal Email ID PP413
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doode that sucks...sounds like you just lost your intercooler couplers
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thisxguy
doode that sucks...sounds like you just lost your intercooler couplers

Eh...It happens. I am just irritated because this is the first time that this has happened to me. So I am a little peeved.

Kris
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

basically they hacked someone's paypal account to use and pay you. Did you ship it to the address verified on the paypal account?

the original owner of the account most likely notified paypal that their account had been compromised. So they go and contact all the sellers/buyers who have had any type of activity w/ the supposed compromised account to make sure all transactions are recorded, disputed, and settled.

so the money seems to have been refunded back to the original owner's account. Make sure you follow the instructions above to get atleast reimbursed for retail value of products or hopefully the person who receives is the orig. owner of account. And they'll return it to you.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't seen this, thank god! But it looks like you may be out couplers. I don't have any suggestions, but good luck getting your money or bringing the buyer to justice.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
contact the guy who you sent the item to and see if they'll send it back. i'm assuming that you sent the intercooler couplers to the rightful owner of the paypal account...hopefully they'll be nice enough to send them back. if not...you can always give negative feedback and file a claim with ebay. lol
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This same thing happened to me.....trust me its gonna be a ***** if you want any repayment....

This is how they do it.....a waiter at a restaurant will write down all of the info on ur credit card after u pay for a meal

He gives the card back to you and u are non the wiser

He sells the info to his buddy and they open a paypal account with that persons credit card and they start buying stuff

They send it to an abandoned house or whatever and just wait there on that day....they get free stuff and they dont have to pay for it....

Person with the credit card sees a charge on it he doesnt recognize and then he disputes through cc company and paypal automatically reverses it and takes your money......

All in all I got my money back from paypal....but it took like two months and a lot of threats of suing on my part......for you all that effort may not be worth it

Moral of the story:

FROM NOW ON MAKE SURE YOU DONT SEND ANY PRODUCT UNLESS THE ADDRESS IS VERIFIED.....OTHERWISE PAYPAL WONT HELP YOU AT ALL
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

I don't know if it's the same person, but there's a poster on this board with the name elhalisf. He has an excellent personal sales rating though.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

How can they do that? They can only open a paypal account if the billing address is the same as the credit card, meaning they would have to know the billing address? I just don't see how that happens.

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
This same thing happened to me.....trust me its gonna be a ***** if you want any repayment....

This is how they do it.....a waiter at a restaurant will write down all of the info on ur credit card after u pay for a meal

He sells the info to his buddy and they open a paypal account with that persons credit card and they start buying stuff

They send it to an abandoned house or whatever and just wait there on that day....they get free stuff and they dont have to pay for it....

Person with the credit card sees a charge on it he doesnt recognize and then he disputes through cc company and paypal automatically reverses it and takes your money......

All in all I got my money back from paypal....but it took like two months and a lot of threats of suing on my part......for you all that effort may not be worth it

Moral of the story:

FROM NOW ON MAKE SURE YOU DONT SEND ANY PRODUCT UNLESS THE ADDRESS IS VERIFIED.....OTHERWISE PAYPAL WONT HELP YOU AT ALL
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST

Moral of the story:

Well yes, that's how the scheme would work. But remember, in order to have a paypal account, you need to have a bank account! They deposit a few cents and you have to verify the amounts of the deposits paypal made into your account before you can actually verify your account and use it. So, your story is unlikely to happen unless they have your banking information to back it all up. U need alot of info to open a Paypal account...

My account got hacked once, but they go to by getting into my email account. From there they achieved to access my paypal and make random purchases. The only thing they couldn't accomplish was actually getting the stuff shipped to the right place. They ordered everything to be shipped to my house..lol. Luckily, I got all my money right back!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CDO
I don't know if it's the same person, but there's a poster on this board with the name elhalisf. He has an excellent personal sales rating though.
Maybe he's a / the victim of my example....

but yea, i've seen that email before, and not on these boards... can't remember right now.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

wow man that sucks. thanks for the heads up for all of us. i guess ill start caring cash around instead of only my debit card =\
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:22 PM

that sucks bro. Just goes to show paypal is not bulletproof.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

yup seen it happen...only way to avoid this, Unforunately for the buyer, is lag sending out the package unless the paypal buyer is confirmed and verified, or is local. I've seen that email tons of times on diff forums stating their story as you are doing now. The only way around this is to just wait a few days prior to sending out the package, or have them confirm and verify their acct prior to sending anything out. I made 2 ebay newbies verify and confirm their accts before i sent out a ps2 and a SLVR phone. All is well, been using internet for 6-7 years now and never scammed!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Well first off.... Paypal is virtually "Bulletproof" IF he sent the items to a "Verified" address and it was shipped before they emailed him then PAYPAL will credit you. But only if you have proof that it was shipped with a time and date that shows clearly before they contacted him.

And to who said hopefully the person they were shipped to will send them back... Well the person who hacked the account prolly changed the shipping address so they would get them and not the address to the persons account they used. Otherwise they would have to be pretty stupid to hack someones account and have the items shipped to that persons account.

To sum it up... Just make sure the email they sent you was dated and timed after the shipped time. And you will get your money for them.

Quick Reply: E-Bay ID EVOLUTIONSTI....LOOK!!!