Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2004 EVO VIII vs. 2006 EVO IX - RACING EVENT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 EVO VIII vs. 2006 EVO IX - RACING EVENT

Hello all,

There will be two races in my area within the next 30 days. One is called "Hiking the Mountain" where a road that goes up a mountain in Sao Paulo, here in Brazil, is closed and then each car goes up the mountain. The purpose is to get to the top of the mountain faster - the first car goes, arrives on the top of the mountain, then the next goes, arrives, then the next and so on. The one who makes the best time wins.

There will be two stock EVO's IX and three guys with an EVO IX with a full turbo back 3" exhaust and maybe a flash (they did not tell me).

Then there will be me with the mods on my signature and maybe a km270 from this forum if he decides to go (he has an highly modified EVO 7 - complete with Ralliart stuff).

Question 1: Should I be worried about the EVO IX's? From what I read here the IX make much more whp than the VIII with just some simple mods (like exhaust and a flash). I know the every turn of the road going up the mountain, so that will not be a problem.

Question 2: In september there will be a drag racing event in another town and these guys with the EVO IX will be there also. Should I worry about them? I know for a fact that the only thing they have is an exhaust, flash and air filter ... but the IX's in this forum have surprised me with the amount of WHP they have been getting. Also, the EVO IX's that were imported from Brazil is the U.S. version, whereas my EVO VIII is a JDM version.

Question 3: Should I not race? The talk going around is that there will be a US$2k to get in. So I have not agreed to race yet.

I am still waiting for a 3" full turbo back exhaust, so if that does not arrive in time, I will run the stock exhaust with no catalizer. My mods are in my signature.
What do you guys think?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should at same whp with a bpu 9.Improve your driving skill is better than bragging about hp.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

with your mods you have nothing to worry about =p
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
80% driving skills, 20% car
Old Aug 11, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by edison
80% driving skills, 20% car
I hope you're right! Drag racing for me is very easy ... just switching gears.
But the going up the mountain, if you make a mistake, you fall. Last year
two cars fell (there are safety measures, but one can screw up the car easily).

I will post some pics of the race, as well as some brazilian chicks, after the race.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 09:44 AM
Account Disabled

dont worry about it..espiecally if you're getting those arriving soon parts...

good luck..take pics...have fun...i wanna go to brazil
Old Aug 11, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gatorade
dont worry about it..espiecally if you're getting those arriving soon parts...

good luck..take pics...have fun...i wanna go to brazil
I will post some pics.

When you come down let me know and I will show you around! I am worried because the current bet to get it is US$2k! With that I can buy an alky kit, FMIC, LICP, etc ... Hopefully I will win and buy a GT35 ... ;o)

I am still impressed with the numbers the IX's are getting with just some basic mods ... amazing!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cneio
I hope you're right! Drag racing for me is very easy ... just switching gears.
But the going up the mountain, if you make a mistake, you fall. Last year
two cars fell (there are safety measures, but one can screw up the car easily).

I will post some pics of the race, as well as some brazilian chicks, after the race.

Do post all mentioned photos lol I wish we had events like this. Too many stupid laws. I guess it's good to live lawless sometimes.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Do post all mentioned photos lol I wish we had events like this. Too many stupid laws. I guess it's good to live lawless sometimes.

It is not an event that is against the law. It is a lawfull event, it is just that the safety requirements in Brazil are a little lower than in the US. All they ask us to do is to close the road and wear a helmet. If you fall off the cliff, that is your problem, no one is responsible So you have to be careful. Last year, from what I heard, two cars pushed too hard and fell (an M5 and a Golf).

The drag racing event is the same as in the US. Closed circuit and devided into categories:

- Domestic Cars
- Import Cars
- 4WD cars
- Open category (this is like the american drag racing - 1000hp + cars)

But you are right, the US in general is much more strict than the rest of the world. There is a 7 lane road here in Sao Paulo that lots of imported cars go for racing, usually about midnight, that is where they go top speed with no consequences, no cops, nothing, except that some of them die.

A famous case was a Ferrari 355 driven by two famous doctors that flew over one lane (once it hit top speed, the road was not perfect, there was a bump, so the bump made the car "fly" about 100 yards) to the other side of the road to hit head on another car that was coming in the other direction. This hapened a couple years back in a road the connects Rio to São Paulo, the two largest cities in Brazil, in my opinion these were crazy doctors ...
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cneio
- Open category (this is like the american drag racing - 1000hp + cars)
Or AMS