Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

catback advise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catback advise

whats a good catback for a reasonable price.not to loud though
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05evo8noob
whats a good catback for a reasonable price.not to loud though
Best bang for the buck is definitely the Megan exhaust
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:21 PM

is it a catback
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SSA

$375
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05evo8noob
is it a catback
If you want not too loud get a fujitsubo or greddy sp2.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:34 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Greddy Evo2
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Bushcur w/ the Magnaflow isn't too bad. Just get a hi-flow cat if you are worried about sound. I thought a cat-less turboback was going to be insanley loud, but found out that it really isnt too bad during DD'ing, only when flooring it.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Check your IM.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

espelir jgt500r, SS 3" for a great price, and has an amazing sound not too loud but very deep
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd have to second Megan... more so than the SS as once they have your money, they are done with you... I was actually dealing with them before Megan. They stoled ideas and ran for the hills.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

If you dont wanna spend big bucks, go with the Megan. Its inexpensive and pretty quiet, you can put the silencer plug in if you wanna go stock quiet for a while (that takes about 2 mins) and they have awesome customer service
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Don't go with megan. You can get a much better exhaust for around the same price. Check vividracing.com I just bought a JIC catback from them for $520 shipped! JIC is one of the best names out there and their exhaust is a true 3inch all the way through not like that HKS crap. The exhaust does not taper near the cat but mine bolted up just fine to the stock cat with no leaking by using the stock gasket. It is by far the best looking exhaust for the evo and the firment is perfect!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Don't go with megan. You can get a much better exhaust for around the same price. Check vividracing.com I just bought a JIC catback from them for $520 shipped! JIC is one of the best names out there and their exhaust is a true 3inch all the way through not like that HKS crap. The exhaust does not taper near the cat but mine bolted up just fine to the stock cat with no leaking by using the stock gasket. It is by far the best looking exhaust for the evo and the firment is perfect!
What are you talking about? You paid almost as much for your JIC cat-back as it costs for an ENTIRE MEGAN TBE. Jic is NOT one of the best names out there. Not sure why you think that, but I AM sure that's why you bought it. It certainly is not more powerful than a Megan, and it's manufacturing does not beat the robotic TIG welds on the Megan. Instead of spewing things you don't know just because you spent over $500 on a plain cat-back, you should do some more research first. You didn't get a Megan, because you thought it was crappy based on past experiences with other cars, but you were wrong, and your entire post here is wrong except the HKS reference, however, no one mentioned HKS in this thread, so it's irrelevant.

By far the best looking exhaust? Now, that's just ridiculous...
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Hmmmm. $520 shipped for your JIC, or $365 shipped for a Megan from me... I'm thinking you didn't get the deal you think you did.

Here's a look at the 05'-06' model...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=68
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yes megan is a very well built exhaust. Just as well as any other exhaust I've seen. I didn't find it loud at all even with my testpipe. The cops however thought it was too loud and issued me a summons. Thats when i switched to the greddy SP2 which is the quietest 3 inch exhaust I've heard. I've never listened to the fujitsubo or rsr exmag so I cannot compare them to those. If I didn't get that summons I would still have my megan on.