Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whites smoke = blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might be able too then, if you havn't been trying to push 25+ PSI lol.

I'd look around and try to find a cool dealer in your area, see what they have to say. Seems worth it to me to at least ask before paying someone, worst that can happen is you'll have to go pay someone lol.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to stop driving your car immediately before you crack your block. And it is unlikely you are going to get that covered by warranty.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:08 AM

They dealer that I went to previously told me that my radiator hose was leaking and the water pump needed to be replaced. Thats what I did, but the problem still occurred. Do you think that I can say that they misdiagnosed my car, causing me to spend money on the hose, water pump, and labor and make them pay for the headgastket/cracked head problem? I am dropping off my car on Tuesday.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

I have a TBE exhaust and people say smoke comes out when I accelerate. But I thought that was common for a turbocharged car to have a quick burst of smoke under acceleration.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A little black smoke under hard acceleration for Evos is normal since they all run rich from the factory.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

You are not running methanol are you? I have a built 2.3 with a 50 trim and running meth and that leaves a white cloud for a second.... HEHE
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a hg. And coolant smells sweet. Its pretty destincted.

Originally Posted by barneyb
The most common symtom of a blown head gasket on a 4G63 is for the coolant to be pushed out of the engine and the engine overheating. It sounds like you have excessive pressure in the crankcase. This will push oil out through any path it can find.

This could be due to a plugged PCV valve, plugged vent line or broken rings.
+1. You will also pressurize your system when your hg goes. I.E. when you take your rad. cap off it will burp (be careful - the fluids can be HOT). Along with overheading at a standstill. You may also see that your coolant overflow is filled to the top. This is also a good indication that you have a bad hg.

I stretched the stock head bolts from running 25 psi at the track. Lucky, that all that I did. Took it apart, got a new stock hg, ARP bolts. Once installed correctly those ARPs will not stretch at all. (But change both coolant and oil when you do this)

Also check you coolant overflow for mixture, take a turkey baster and get some fluid out. Put it into a clear glass and look for oil film or specs of oil clumped together. I had a slight film of oil in my coolant.

Agreed, pressure in your crank will make your oil push through. If that is the cast. More searching in the block will be needed.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

i do have alky, but it pushes out black smoke and flames..... i drained the oil.. no shavings, no coolant, then no oil in the coolant either. Its going back to stock for warranty purposes.... i just have no idea what it is. there was no power lose but i was burning through oil and it was coming out wherever it could go...

need a
intercooler sprayer resevoir
upper intake pipe (metal part)
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

dealership will charge about 700-1200 for blown head gasket, can find "good" local shops to do it for 300-500. but if they replace your head gasket wrong then your engine is done.

this happened to me in my turbo lancer.