Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whites smoke = blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whites smoke = blown head gasket?

Hey, If you see white smoke under the oil cap, and white smoke coming out of the exhaust with a bitter smell, is that a blown head gasket? Oils is leaking from around the oil cap, but I havn't seen a blueish tint to the smoke that the car is blowing out... any thoughts on the subject would be greatly apreciated..
Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
White smoke usually means a blown headgasket. It is usually followed by a rough idle, and a diffulcty or inability to start because of a lack of compression.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

yep

either a blown head gasket, or a cracked head by the water jacket allowing the coolet to mix in your cylinders.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GT35REVO8
either a blown head gasket, or a cracked head by the water jacket allowing the coolet to mix in your cylinders.
+1
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the white smoke is very thin and dissapears from the exhaust tip rapidly them is mostlikely a blown head gasket and the smoke is coming from the antifreeze/water.

If the smoke is also white but much thicker followed by oil residue on the exhaust mostlikely could be bad turbo seals.

Carlos
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

the vavle seal can bet the problem
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
White smoke usually means a blown headgasket. It is usually followed by a rough idle, and a diffulcty or inability to start because of a lack of compression.
+1
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolant should smell sweet if anything
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Why is the cap leaking? Do you have the crankcase ventilated. Blowby has to go somewhere.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Check your coolent resevor for oil.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The most common symtom of a blown head gasket on a 4G63 is for the coolant to be pushed out of the engine and the engine overheating. It sounds like you have excessive pressure in the crankcase. This will push oil out through any path it can find.

This could be due to a plugged PCV valve, plugged vent line or broken rings.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 02:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
The most common symtom of a blown head gasket on a 4G63 is for the coolant to be pushed out of the engine and the engine overheating. It sounds like you have excessive pressure in the crankcase. This will push oil out through any path it can find.

This could be due to a plugged PCV valve, plugged vent line or broken rings.
Amen brother. I have vast amounts of experience with this. If you have a 4g63 and a blown headgasket, your engine WILL overheat within 5 miles of travel.

Has anyone detailed all of the likely causes of blowing a headgasket on a 4g63? I know retarded timing can cause it. Any others?

strike
Old Aug 13, 2006, 03:57 AM

I dont know if I have that problem. I dont get any white smoke from the engine or the exhaust, but my car does overheat when I am idling for too long and I have to refill the coolant every few weeks. When the fan kicks in, I can smell the coolant. I've replaced the coolant pipes as well as the water pump, but I still loose coolant every couple of weeks. My car has been idling kind of rough these couple of days. I got a check engine light code P0335 and p0340. The meaning of those codes are the crankshaft positon sensor failed and misfiring.

If its really a blown gasket, would that be covered under the engine warranty? I am over the mileage for the bumper and bumper warranty. Anyone know how much it would cost for reparing a blown gasket.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whiteEv0boy
I dont know if I have that problem. I dont get any white smoke from the engine or the exhaust, but my car does overheat when I am idling for too long and I have to refill the coolant every few weeks. When the fan kicks in, I can smell the coolant. I've replaced the coolant pipes as well as the water pump, but I still loose coolant every couple of weeks. My car has been idling kind of rough these couple of days. I got a check engine light code P0335 and p0340. The meaning of those codes are the crankshaft positon sensor failed and misfiring.

If its really a blown gasket, would that be covered under the engine warranty? I am over the mileage for the bumper and bumper warranty. Anyone know how much it would cost for reparing a blown gasket.
sounds like a small crack in either a head gasket or water jacket.

It shouldn't be all that much to replace a head gasket on these cars, its the same amount of work as head studs, and those are done for pretty cheap.

Have you been running high boost? If your still pretty much stock you might be able to get it warranty.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:09 AM

Not really, I have bolt on stuff like boost controller, intake and BOV.

Quick Reply: Whites smoke = blown head gasket?