Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My baby - '05 RS Vandalized

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would venture to guess that once you file a claim they are going to raise your Insurance rates. Probably why the guy changed the subject after he said to just claim the glass damge and get that fixed for free.

That would be my first question to them.. "If I file a claim will my rates go up?"

Most Insurance companies will do that. File a claim to get some back some of the thousands of dollars you pay them and they jsut end up charging you more.

Insurance Companies = Legal Extortion

Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

What time of day was this? If you were in the bank I assume it was the middle of the day... I can't believe there were not any witnesses and also that someone has the nuts to do that in broad daylight... sorry to hear
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by WRC-GO
Did you say "bank?" Bank's should have lots of cameras - find him and prosecute his azz!
thats the exact thing i thought
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop spreading misinformation.....if the damage is not your fault....ie you didnt hurt the car yourself or crash into someone or something at your fault then they cannot legally raise your rates unless you have a track record of filing claims which he has already stated this is his first.....there is no harm in asking if your rates will increase and most likely they will not....

The only thing I had to pay was my deductible when my car was keyed and debadged
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

bro, im sorry to hear that, either we have alota evo haters in this world or its all a coincidence. i dont know, but i hope everyone goes well for you with the insurance and what not.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-GO
Dayum, tough luck there! I debate with myself constantly about where to park the MR. Today, I ducked in for breakfast and found a spot kind of in the back of the restaurant's lot, but where I knew I could get a seat (in the smoking section, lol - easier to get seated!) where I could keep my eye on it. I mainly suspect kids in this stuff, especially the keying et al. It's a tough call whether to hide it away (makes it easier for the perp to get away with it) versus putting it in full view (where others watching may discourage the miscreant.) One thing for sure, I'd better not catch anyone keying a car, ever, or there will be blood in the parking lot.

BTW, I read further down the thread, and you don't have to worry too much about rattles - I've already had my dash, doors, everything, apart a couple times to install DVD/NAV and XM, and it went back together just fine. Still tight.
Thanks for the encouraging words! I know what you mean, my wife thinks I am nuts everytime we go somewhere I circle the parking lot two or three times looking for a good spot to park, lol. I sure hope you are right about the dash not rattling after being apart. What worries me though, is the damage is mainly above the glovebox and to the left of it. According to the FSM I have on CD, the part of the dash that is damaged is all one piece, so that is why I am worried that Prgoressive will not want to pay for it. I am sure it wont be cheap to replace the entire main structure of the dash, but I dont know it could be less work than I think.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
wow 5000 miles in 1 and a half years............
Yes, my wife and I work(ed) at the same place, and we drove her Focus SVT back and forth to work. We lost our jobs unexepectedly July 3, and are still out of work, and now this. This came at the worst time, as usual I have terrible luck.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dzuest
I would venture to guess that once you file a claim they are going to raise your Insurance rates. Probably why the guy changed the subject after he said to just claim the glass damge and get that fixed for free.

That would be my first question to them.. "If I file a claim will my rates go up?"

Most Insurance companies will do that. File a claim to get some back some of the thousands of dollars you pay them and they jsut end up charging you more.

Insurance Companies = Legal Extortion

If they try to raise the rates after this, we will find a new insurance company, thats for damn sure.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evrblazin
What time of day was this? If you were in the bank I assume it was the middle of the day... I can't believe there were not any witnesses and also that someone has the nuts to do that in broad daylight... sorry to hear
It was 11:30am on Friday. I know, I looked all over and asked anyone I came across. Everyone thought I was crazy. The stupid guy at the liquor store came out and checked his early 90's Saturn. He pulled the door handle, and it was unlocked! His car was approx. 15 feet from mine. So whoever did this wasnt interested in stealing anything, I think but read on.

I forgot to add this to the original post - I had my V1 in the glovebox, and after I got home I realized the radio block off plate (standard in the RS) was popped loose. So I dont know if the dumbas* who did this tried to break in for the "radio" or what his motive was. Thankfully they never even opened the glovebox and saw the V1. I thought that was why they had broke into the car to begin with when I first saw tha car. I always take my V1 down when I park it, but leave the windshield mount up. I thought that whoever did it knew what a V1 windshield mount looked like. They werent that smart.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
Stop spreading misinformation.....if the damage is not your fault....ie you didnt hurt the car yourself or crash into someone or something at your fault then they cannot legally raise your rates unless you have a track record of filing claims which he has already stated this is his first.....there is no harm in asking if your rates will increase and most likely they will not....

The only thing I had to pay was my deductible when my car was keyed and debadged
I hope you are right! Thanks for clarifying the situation!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
bro, im sorry to hear that, either we have alota evo haters in this world or its all a coincidence. i dont know, but i hope everyone goes well for you with the insurance and what not.
I dont know either, it seems as if people enjoy destroying these cars if they are not their own. Thats part of the reason I bought an RS in the first place. I knew about all the Evo haters out there, and was hoping the RS wouldnt attract much attention. Thanks for the encouraging words!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:49 AM

Progressive will have to fix everything to ''pre-accident condition''. You will have to pay your deductable. Progressive are a bunch of crooks too, so you will have to fight with them to get them to do everything right. We deal with them a lot at our shop and they are always trying to get out of paying us to fix things. They will try and persuade you to take the cheap way out, but dont do it, get everything fixed that was damaged. Thats why you pay insurance.

edit: Progressive sucks. I would highly recommend State Farm insurance, as they will pay to fix everything right, and you dont have to fight with them. They even check back with you to make sure the shop didnt skimp on the repairs. When I checked on insurance for my evo rs, progressive wanted over $125 more a month than state farm. You might want to look into it.

Last edited by uterus!; Aug 13, 2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I echo what uterus has to say. To preserve their excess profits, Progressive may fight you at first to fix everything, but be persistant.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:32 AM

time for carbon fiber doors
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by uterus!
Progressive will have to fix everything to ''pre-accident condition''. You will have to pay your deductable. Progressive are a bunch of crooks too, so you will have to fight with them to get them to do everything right. We deal with them a lot at our shop and they are always trying to get out of paying us to fix things. They will try and persuade you to take the cheap way out, but dont do it, get everything fixed that was damaged. Thats why you pay insurance.

edit: Progressive sucks. I would highly recommend State Farm insurance, as they will pay to fix everything right, and you dont have to fight with them. They even check back with you to make sure the shop didnt skimp on the repairs. When I checked on insurance for my evo rs, progressive wanted over $125 more a month than state farm. You might want to look into it.
Wow, Progressive sucks. I am taking it to a shop I used before, and the guy there told me that progressive sucks. I really hope the adjuster doesnt try to d*ck around with me tomorrow. I tried comparing State Farm last year and they were much higher, and at the time I was worried about cost. Looking back, it might of been a mistake we will see.

I will post what the adjuster says tomorrow. He just said he would be at my house in the morning on Monday.

BTW-Does anyone know what category all of this would fall under? Would it be uninsured/underinsured property damage -or- comprehensive/collision?

Quick Reply: My baby - '05 RS Vandalized