Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My baby - '05 RS Vandalized

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My baby - '05 RS Vandalized

Friday my 5000 mile mint '05 RS was vandalized. The passenger window was busted out while my wife and I were in the bank for approximately 10 minutes. We walked out to the parking lot to find the passenger window laying shattered in the seat along with about 1 million shards of glass. There was also a nice deep ding on the door about 6 inches below the window line. The interior door panel has a huge gouge in the center right below the window. If you line up this gouge with the door ding its clear the see that the SOB who did this used a crowbar. When the glass fell into the seat, it made contact with the dash, glove box and several other interior trim pieces. The glass absolutely gouged and scratched everything it touched of course, trashing the passengers side of the dash and glovebox. I know I will be getting glass outta the interior for the next decade, if I decide to keep the car at this point. I am so frustrated I may sell it.

Its obvious my insurance (Progressive) will cover the window and the door. I am 29 and have never had to make an auto insurance claim before. I dont know if every insurance company is the same, but Progressive said if I claimed it as auto glass damage only, there would be no deductable and they would only fix the auto glass. I told the adjuster over the phone that I wanted to claim it as vandalism. He replied that if I claimed vandalism I could get everything fixed if I was that "picky" but most people just live with whatever damaged occured from the broken glass and have the glass fixed for free. When I asked him about fixing the dash, and interior he didnt say anything and quickly changed the subject saying that if I called an hour earlier he could of came out to my house that same day. He is coming to my house on Monday. I want everything that was damaged fixed, period. The whole dash may have to be replaced to fix the damage. I am concerned Progressive will not cover the interior damage. Do you guys know if Progressive will cover the interior damage? I searched and found plenty of vandalism stories, but there was not a mention of the Insurance companies covering interior damage. The anticiaption is killing me, but I guess I will find out Monday if the adjuster (Progressive) has the ***** to tell me they wont cover the interior damage. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Russell K.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks..im sorry to hear, why do people have do do stupid ****t like this there is no point. Hope it all gets fixed for free, good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Did you say "bank?" Bank's should have lots of cameras - find him and prosecute his azz!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRC-GO
Did you say "bank?" Bank's should have lots of cameras - find him and prosecute his azz!
this guy is smart! lol i would of never thought of that.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Jesus...why. People suck.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Just calm down...dont go doing something stupid like selling your car. Cuz you will probably regret it!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will charge u whatever ur deductible is....usually 1000 and then they fix everything....but read every bit of ur policy carefully....it may only provide non-oem replacement parts....meaning a non oem window....i doubt they can get non-oem dash...but the window for sure......

I dunno....think about it this way......save the 1000....let them fix the window for free and then buy a dash and door panel off of someone in classifieds and save urself 500 bucks
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-GO
It was a strip mall parking lot with the bank being in the middle of the parking lot. The first thing I did after getting the huge chunk of glass that was laying in the pass. seat out was run to the nearest store (liquor store) and ask if they had parking lot cameras and of course they did not! I parked in an area where no one was parked to ironically avoid any door dings.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

I would call another insurance company and ask what should be covered or call Progressive and act like you are potentially a new customer and would like to know what they cover in your type of situation.

My brand new Prelude was broken into 4 days after purchasing it, I feel ur pain. GOOD LUCK!!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
They will charge u whatever ur deductible is....usually 1000 and then they fix everything....but read every bit of ur policy carefully....it may only provide non-oem replacement parts....meaning a non oem window....i doubt they can get non-oem dash...but the window for sure......

I dunno....think about it this way......save the 1000....let them fix the window for free and then buy a dash and door panel off of someone in classifieds and save urself 500 bucks
Actually my deductible is 250. Progressive's policy says that they do not have the right to specify what parts to use, that its up to me, we will see.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

ALL insurance policies are different....that includes within the same company.....they are there to answer your questions........you can call them and tell them something happened.....this DOES NOT MEAN that you have "filed a claim" and if you are that concerned you can tell them that you were just informing them and do not want to file a claim for such a small issue
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

WOW 250!!!

If that were me I'd do exactly what you are doing then.....go get em......sounds like he is trying to convince u not to....I dont think they can legally raise your rates either since its not your fault.....but i believe if it happens numerous times in a small span of time they are allowed to red flag you as "high risk"

But as you said this is your first time so I would just get everything brand new!!! Make sure everything is OEM....when your door panel is off they should be able to peel back the dust cover and remove all the other glass GL
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLED IX MR
Just calm down...dont go doing something stupid like selling your car. Cuz you will probably regret it!
Well, I just say that because this is not the first time this car will see a body shop due to vandals. A kid in a truck threw a rock out at me on the highway going about 70. They swerved off the highway at the nearest exit right after the rock hit, and by the time I turned around and went to the exit they took, they were gone of course. It took out the front cover, and chipped the hood badly. This happened with only 2000 miles on the car. It took forever to get it fixed because I had to save up and pay out of pocket to avoid a claim at the time because my deductible was 1000. It was $900 to be fixed at a nice body shop. We then had the deductible lowered in case some sh*t like this ever happened again, I never thought it would though.

I love the car to death, but I have never had so much hardship and so much $ outta pocket with a car ever. I love the performance, the solid feeling these cars have, the steering, suspension , I love it all. I LOVE driving it, I cant say that enough. I just cant overlook the cheap paint and plastics these cars have. I think its sad I had to clear-bra the car just to keep it looking decent, not perfect. I dont mind the cheap interior either, but I know if that plastic-y dash is torn apart it will never be the same. Have you ever rode in a car with a dash thats been apart? They rattle like crazy! I cant imagine how the dash would sound on an RS once its apart, lol. If I do sell it, I will eventually wind up with another Evo, I'm sure. I just dont want to pay what I am paying per month for this thing once its been torn apart for the second time now with only 5000 miles in 1 1/2 years. Maybe I am crazy.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Russell K
It was a strip mall parking lot with the bank being in the middle of the parking lot. The first thing I did after getting the huge chunk of glass that was laying in the pass. seat out was run to the nearest store (liquor store) and ask if they had parking lot cameras and of course they did not! I parked in an area where no one was parked to ironically avoid any door dings.
Dayum, tough luck there! I debate with myself constantly about where to park the MR. Today, I ducked in for breakfast and found a spot kind of in the back of the restaurant's lot, but where I knew I could get a seat (in the smoking section, lol - easier to get seated!) where I could keep my eye on it. I mainly suspect kids in this stuff, especially the keying et al. It's a tough call whether to hide it away (makes it easier for the perp to get away with it) versus putting it in full view (where others watching may discourage the miscreant.) One thing for sure, I'd better not catch anyone keying a car, ever, or there will be blood in the parking lot.

BTW, I read further down the thread, and you don't have to worry too much about rattles - I've already had my dash, doors, everything, apart a couple times to install DVD/NAV and XM, and it went back together just fine. Still tight.

Last edited by WRC-GO; Aug 12, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

wow 5000 miles in 1 and a half years............

Quick Reply: My baby - '05 RS Vandalized