Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! i think i need a new CLUTCH! =[

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just have someone that knows what they are doing look at it.. the last thing you probably need is messing anything up more that it already is... (if it is even messed up at all)

and FWIW, if your clutch is slipping, your RPMs would be shooting through the roof but your car wouldn't be moving very fast...
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch is done, your rpms are slipping, holding then grabbing. Driving a slipping clutch will further accellerate wear.

You have about a week before you won't be able to drive anywhere.

Send me a PM and I will give you some clutch options to fit your budget.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M1chael322
No i kno what im talking , its the techometer the needle stays still for a second at curtain HIGH Rpms , DO you think its my clutch that is broken soo then its not grabing, my friend told me to go get a new clutch and a preasure plate

well if your clutch was going out your speed would not increase in relation to your rpm's...i dont know what your issue is...but i dont think it is the clutch...if it was the rpms would go up faster adn you would not be accelerating while your rpms rised. unless there is some crazy thing that defies logic
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M1chael322
Ok but can some one be more detailed and be more specific about how to test if my clutch is really broken, one tells me to red line 5th , the other tells me to roll at 40mph and throw it in 5th gear , one tells me to red line 3rd gear, but no one tells me what to Expect after i do it, should i expect my techometer to like jUmp up out of no where, or stay still or what. CAn some one please be more exact in details and explained things more clearly step by step and what to expect. PLEASE and THANK YOu i apreciate you guys for helping me, i am a newbie at these clutch stuff

-Michael
in my other cars i used 3rd or 4th. you should be able to feel the slip....
it just sounds weird to me that your rpms do not advance and then all of a sudden the clutch grabs...your rpms should be going up higher and oyu should smell some clutch if it was the clutch...i dont know though that sounds like a strange issue
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Clutch is done, your rpms are slipping, holding then grabbing. Driving a slipping clutch will further accellerate wear.

You have about a week before you won't be able to drive anywhere.

Send me a PM and I will give you some clutch options to fit your budget.
So your saying after the first sign of slippage you have a week? sounds like not much time... I imagine that after i take mine to the track slipping it may not make it home at all? Saw a kids car at bushur the other day with a tilton clutch in it..
(car got dyno'd) nobody could drive it, claims it was supposed to be that harsh.. Is this true? whats the driveablitly compared to exedy twin plate?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!

Just put it in 5th at < 40 and floor it. If the RPM starts rising disproportionately to the MPH, it is slipping.

slippage will be most evident when there is most load put on engine. the higher the gear, the more load there is on an engine. 5th or 6th (MR) will be the best gear to test.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

slippage will be most evident when there is most load put on engine. the higher the gear, the more load there is on an engine. 5th or 6th (MR) will be the best gear to test.

that's why I said the highest gear not knowing what model you had. You want the most load on it which is not third or fourth gear
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:42 AM
Account Disabled

I would put it in 7th then.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I would put it in 7th then.
HELP!! I can't find 7th gear in my EVO =[
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

"HELP!! I can't find 7th gear in my EVO =[" you're supposed to push the shift fork down when in neutral and then slide it into the reverse gate. Kind of like the sti's ring but for us you must push down instead O_o
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:40 PM

OK well i test out my clutch in 5th gear this morning and yes my clutch was sliping so im guessing i have to replace a new clutch, Im thinking about getting a competition puck clutch. Well any ways, I apreciate every one for helping me, giveing me advice and tips. THANKS to everyone

Now i need money for a new clutch -_-

-Michael
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

I have ACT, EXEDY and Tilton twins ready to ship. PM me for pricing and we will put together a deal for you based on your budget, whp goals and driving style.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem with my car. It was the clutch it had melted. i replaced mine with a heavy duty ACT.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

i think my clutch is slipping also, i tried the 5th gear WOT and the speed goes along with the rpms but when i hit boost my rpm would jump like 1k and drop back to normal and launch. this happens on every gear, but when im off boost the clutch grabs fine..hmm is it the clutch slipping or a boost leak? car drives fun except when i hit boost the power just isnt there.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by deegaw11
i think my clutch is slipping also, i tried the 5th gear WOT and the speed goes along with the rpms but when i hit boost my rpm would jump like 1k and drop back to normal and launch. this happens on every gear, but when im off boost the clutch grabs fine..hmm is it the clutch slipping or a boost leak? car drives fun except when i hit boost the power just isnt there.
Maybe I should open up a group buy for you poor souls.