Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! i think i need a new CLUTCH! =[

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! i think i need a new CLUTCH! =[

Hi well i have this problem with my car, when im driveing and on the TECHometer when it hits around 3 Rpms and 4 or 5 Rpms the needle stays still for 1 second and doesnt move up when i acclerate and then after that it feels lik sudden boost. It feels lik turbo lag but it isnt, its constantly like that when i acclerate every time, my car seems very slow for somereason. My friend thinks that i broke my clutch because it doesnt grab on high end acclerattion. Does any one know about this problem, and tell me if it is or is not my clutch, im thinking of bring my car down to the dealership and have then check it out. Please help
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhhh have you been launching?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:01 PM

Sadly....yes
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

don't you mean the speedometer is not moving!
tachometer should be reving regardless bud.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Go out to the highway and do a wot pull in the highest gear starting from 2 grand. If you see it jumping before it catches then ,yes, you have a slipping clutch. Whatever you do...do not bring it to the dealership. IF this is your fault then you must "bite the bullet" and shell out the money. It's not their fault you fried it. GL.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by evobeaner
don't you mean the speedometer is not moving!
tachometer should be reving regardless bud.
No i kno what im talking , its the techometer the needle stays still for a second at curtain HIGH Rpms , DO you think its my clutch that is broken soo then its not grabing, my friend told me to go get a new clutch and a preasure plate
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

when the clutch starts to go, the rpm's usually shoot high until the clutch grabs then the car will slowly increase speed. this happened on my '03...

couple ?'s:
1)are you launching it alot? if so, how are you launching? dumping clutch is wrong if that's the way u r launching.

2)have u checked the FLUID? brake resevoir

3)have u done a 5th gear test? go about 40mph, put in 5th & floor it. that will tell you if it is slipping. if u have no ILLEGAL mods AND are still under warranty, take it in.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

"if u have no ILLEGAL mods AND are still under warranty, take it in."

It's crap like this that makes it easier for mitsu to deny REAL warranty work.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:15 PM

soo can you guys tell me a more detailed 5gear test? soo i Ride my car about 40mph and then throw it in 5th gear and full trottle and then what? Confusion....I was gonna bring my car to the dealer and see if it really is my clutch that is broken or somthing else. Would they really Void my warranty for a check up like that? its not like im trying to cover it with my warranty

Last edited by M1chael322; Aug 13, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

its baffles me that you buy a car like this .... and do not know anything bout it... as for ur clutch do a wot shift in 3rd gear.. your like will act like it would if u had it in netural and u gave the car gas it would go no where.. but sense u have it in gear and ur flooring your car will do that and then catch it selft and accelerate.. taking it to the dealer ship is not going to give u any good.. because a clutch is a wear and tear item just like ur brake pads.. so either way your going to have to dig out of your own wallet and fix it.... so either have some one experience do it or take to a shop other than the dealer ship...
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:48 PM

Ok but can some one be more detailed and be more specific about how to test if my clutch is really broken, one tells me to red line 5th , the other tells me to roll at 40mph and throw it in 5th gear , one tells me to red line 3rd gear, but no one tells me what to Expect after i do it, should i expect my techometer to like jUmp up out of no where, or stay still or what. CAn some one please be more exact in details and explained things more clearly step by step and what to expect. PLEASE and THANK YOu i apreciate you guys for helping me, i am a newbie at these clutch stuff

-Michael
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...lutch+slipping
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...lutch+slipping
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...lutch+slipping this one is good..

try searching next time.. it will help you out good... good luck with fixing it..
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
"if u have no ILLEGAL mods AND are still under warranty, take it in."

It's crap like this that makes it easier for mitsu to deny REAL warranty work.
if a person buys a performance car & is incapable of assesing &/or maintaining/repairing his/her own performance car than that person shall get rid of (& has no business owning) that said performance car...

i rode a mtn bike for 15 years b4 i bought an evo, now i have 2 of them...
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=whitersevo]its baffles me that you buy a car like this .... and do not know anything bout it... already went through this... ^^^^^
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:08 AM

every one is a noobie at some point is life, but can any one tell me how to test out if my clutch is bad or not, about redline at 5th or 3th gear, can some one explain for detailed and clearly? and What should i expect? I Really Apreciate you guys trying to help me and giveing me Tips

-Michael