Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carbon Fiber Trunk & Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbon Fiber Trunk & Spoiler

Next week i'll probably have time to put my adjustable evo VIII CF Wing on my VIS CF trunk, now VIS is surpose to have pre-drilled holes for a spoiler, but I took a quick look, I don't think I saw any, but none the less...before I do anything I wanted to know if you guys had any tips or suggestions before I proceed. I'm pretty sure I need to have some kind of painter's tape? on both sides of my trunk before drilling the holes. Probably could take it to the dealership, but I doubt they'd even attempt to mess with it or they charge an arm, leg, heart and half my other body organs to do it. So help me out if you can, been doing all kinds of research on it, can't find that many threads on it...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are correct when drilling into cf or fiberglass you will need a couple layers of painters tape on both sides. Start with a very small drill bit for the pilot, then work your way up little by little until you have the correct size. As far as lining up the spoiler correctly I would hope there are some dots or something on the underside to let you know where to drill, but if not good luck with it.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

you should donate that carbon fiber trunk to the "4tun8 wants a CF trunk with no wing" fund.

In return you'll get........well nothing, but I'd think you were super duper cool
Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the help boost, as for 4tun8, I was begining to think you didn't like carbon fiber, my car really don't look bad without a wing, very very shiny trunk lid and the rest of my car how could I put it...unshiny??? Need a paint job
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
You are correct when drilling into cf or fiberglass you will need a couple layers of painters tape on both sides. Start with a very small drill bit for the pilot, then work your way up little by little until you have the correct size. As far as lining up the spoiler correctly I would hope there are some dots or something on the underside to let you know where to drill, but if not good luck with it.
cool. I am going to be putting my carbon fiber wing back on my new trunk this week! hopefully I won't mess it up.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

It's not that I don't like it, it's that um....I'm a cheapskate.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Special bits are needed for carbon fiber so that it wont fray the edges. Painters tape is not enough. The bits should be easy enough to find, spur point or brad point.....do a search on the www so you know exactly what you want, then go to a local industrial supply and get the bits in the right sizes. Regular drill bits will cause delamination of the CF around the hole and will allow moisture to weep in and over a period of time, further delam of the structure will occurr. (I work with this stuff on a semi-regular basis)
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:27 PM
mot
Evolved Member

i like the cf trunk/wing look
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by althemean
Special bits are needed for carbon fiber so that it wont fray the edges. Painters tape is not enough. The bits should be easy enough to find, spur point or brad point.....do a search on the www so you know exactly what you want, then go to a local industrial supply and get the bits in the right sizes. Regular drill bits will cause delamination of the CF around the hole and will allow moisture to weep in and over a period of time, further delam of the structure will occurr. (I work with this stuff on a semi-regular basis)
is there a way you could post a pic of one of these bits, so I'm sure I buy the right one. I'm looking to put my spoiler on tomorrow and need to know exactly how to do it without messing up my carbon fiber trunk. thanks in advance!
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

People often use stepped bits that look like a step pyramid except circular
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
People often use stepped bits that look like a step pyramid except circular
so am I looking for a drill bit kinda like this then?

Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

I drilled my holes today in my carbon fiber trunk. I just used regular drill bits and had no problems. Here's the steps I used. First, I taped off the area I was going do drill with 2" wide masking take (about 3 layers on both sides of where I was drilling). Secondly, I measured and marked where I was going to drill on the masking tape. Third, I started with a small bit and changed it out with a larger bit as I drilled to avoid cracking. I think I used a total of 4-5 different sizes of bits. I did not use anything other than a regular drill bit, so I really don't think any special kind of bit is really necessary to invest in, when a regular bit will do the same quality of job. After I was finished, I removed the masking tape and the holes were nice and crisp with no cracks or anything to the carbon fiber or clear coat. It turned out nicely and my spoiler lined up perfectly with only minor adjustments. Hope this will help out someone.