Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tried searching, but probably common knowledge so couldn't find the answer. exhaust Q

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried searching, but probably common knowledge so couldn't find the answer. exhaust Q

I will be considering an Exhaust for the Evo very soon and I know there are Cat-Backs and Turbo-Backs out there but I don't know what to get, and I don't really understand the difference!!

I checked on the internet and a cat-back is apparently the piping from the catalytic converter. Seems easy enough. A turbo-back goes straight from the turbo all the way to the back. Also very easy to comprehend...

My question is what are the performance differences between the two!?!?

Also, I read about test pipes, going catless, etc. but what do these all mean in terms of performance???? All this exhaust lingo has me going crazy!!!!

Can someone clear some of this stuff up for me. I tried searching more but I just can't get this specific info.

Sorry for the newb Q.

P.S. Just put down payment on a new IX MR. Picking it up August 31.

-Aaron
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well, which do you think would help the car breathe MORE, 3" piping from the cat back, or 3" piping from the O2 housing back?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

if you dont complete the system with a turbo back and just get the catback, it was still be restrictive because the piping before it is still stock.

i think i saw somewhere on the br site that with the high-flow cat they lost 8whp...its all relative though.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I'mStock
Well, which do you think would help the car breathe MORE, 3" piping from the cat back, or 3" piping from the O2 housing back?

Well obviously the latter seems like the better choice, and that is also the reason why I ask the question. What is the point of going with a cat-back if it doesn't provide as much power. A lot of the cat-backs I've seen like the Greddy Ti are very expensive... around the same as a TBE, yet it is very popular. Why would peple choose it over a TBE of the same price (excluding the fact that it's made of titanium and looks unique)?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thats something I cant figure out as well.....

Buschur makes a nice TBE, decently priced and great quality. I have the magnaflow buschur exhaust and I love the sound, its a great piece. There are many other out there that work well. Perrin, Megan, turboxs, etc etc....

I wouldnt spend that much on just a catback unless you want to be "jdm", thats about the only reason people shell out that much money is because they want to have something for style and "jdm" is the magic word.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

sound...plus they can just add on a DP and test pipe..and for long trips you can just take your test pipe off and throw on a Cat so it isnt as loud...

also how are you an "evolved member" and not know what the difference of a TBE and catback.....jw
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I shouldn't have used the Greddy Ti as an example. It is safe to say then that cat-backs are usually cheaper than TBEs but you will sacrifice performance?

Then my next question is this - Assuming I like the look of an exhaust like the Greddy Ti but I want the performance of a turbo back. What would have to be added if I was buying just the Greddy Ti cat back?

(this is just a hypothetical situation, because I don't even think I can afford the Greddy Ti, but if I could I would hate to think that I wouldn't be getting 100% out of my exhaust system)
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

A TBE is:

A Downpipe + Cat / Test pipe + catback exhaust.

So if you get a greddy TI, you would get a downpipe and a hiflo cat or test pipe and then you would have a TBE. I just have a buschur catback, when I add the downpipe and hiflow cat I will then have a full TBE.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

get the Greddy Ti if u really like it then get a used downpipe (from turbo to the cat ~$150) and a used testpipe (~$60) . now u have the good look and a full performance of a turbo back exhaust system.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get a Greddy Ti cat-back, a Ti test pipe and Works DP. Hell, wait, get an Amuse Titan Turboback.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20lbsboost
sound...plus they can just add on a DP and test pipe..and for long trips you can just take your test pipe off and throw on a Cat so it isnt as loud...

also how are you an "evolved member" and not know what the difference of a TBE and catback.....jw
I think there must have been an error. That should read "devolved member"

Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Two questions now.

What is a test pipe, and what does going catless do other than get in you a lot of trouble with the police?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

cuts out the restriction of the "honeycomb" of the cat. A test pipe will provide the most flow and power. I prefer highflow cat but thats me
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
cuts out the restriction of the "honeycomb" of the cat. A test pipe will provide the most flow and power. I prefer highflow cat but thats me
but if the test pipe provides the most power, why go with a highflow cat?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The cat helps burn unused fuel in the exhaust, that's why it's required for emissions testing.

A test pipe simply replaces the cat with a non-restrictive straight pipe. Better flow usually equals more power (on a boosted car at least). With a test pipe you should see increased HP numbers, but possibly a minor reduction in your TQ numbers.

For a mostly stock car, you will see very little difference between the two. With major upgrades, the cat does become quite a bottleneck though.

You'll probably get more soot on your bumper w/ a test pipe since you'll have a little moe unburnt fuel in your exhaust.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eggy
but if the test pipe provides the most power, why go with a highflow cat?
test pipes are illegal in most, if not all, states for everything besides track driving. also test pipes make the exhaust much louder, especially for highway driving.

Quick Reply: Tried searching, but probably common knowledge so couldn't find the answer. exhaust Q