Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aftermarket Intake with Stock Cold Air Scoop / Inlet...POINTLESS?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
APEXi makes a box that works with a ram scoop part of their own. It's ~$150 for the box and ~$150 for the ram scoop.

Evodave has a new ram funnel that mounts in the bumper of evo 8s and feeds air up a duct tube, which could be good connected to the top of one of those cone filters with an opening at the top. I may get this and run it to the top of the new Blitz SUS I just bought for my Injen intake.

A combo of the APEXIi box, APEXi ram scoop, Evo dave ram funel, and cone filter with top opening could be interesting, and VERY expensive.

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Very true...

Hey MJ, Is there any way to create or purchase a part to help assist in guiding the cold air into the engine and the stock inlet "scoop"?

Do those divider walls that separate the filter from the rest of the engine bay work too?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE - Yes, we have proof from Malibu Jack that there is a temperature change with the scoop added. I was indeed wrong and I have already put mine on.

I got the idea to keep the stock lid attached because it fit on my Buschur Intake perfectly. It seems like it routes the cold air DIRECTLY to and on top of the intake. There is no gap from the scoop to the filter. It almost shields the filter in order to throw the cold air directly on top of it. See the pictures below.

Do you guys think that this would be even more beneficial for cold air or it would produce a negative affect in any way? I dont want to suffocate the filter or prevent the turbo from breathing properly. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice... I did something similar a few years back (search: stealth intake)

I used the bracket and part of the base of the stock airbox.. ultimately removed it to make room for different hardware.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I currently have it similar to yours with the duct and the lid of the box.... I think it will be much more effective to construct a box that is connected to the duct at the top, and open to cool air under the car at the bottom, pehaps with a forward facing scoop or duct under the car. Being a box that is open at both top and bottom there would not be any fear of hydrolocking the motor when going through water, and it would provide a free flowing source of cold air.

Keith
Old Aug 18, 2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it could be good for dumb cops that make you pop your hood