Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aftermarket Intake with Stock Cold Air Scoop / Inlet...POINTLESS?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Aftermarket Intake with Stock Cold Air Scoop / Inlet...POINTLESS?!

Just my two cents everyone because boredom has led me to speculate on this...

I noticed that a lot of people with aftermarket intakes and open filter elements (Buschur, HKS, etc.) install their intakes and keep the stock cold air scoop / inlet on the car (please see attached picture for what Im talking about if you dont know).

Please someone correct me if im wrong, but I cannot see that assisting in getting cold air into the engine. I see it as pointless possibly?

JUSTIFICATION: On the stock intake system, air is being sucked into the engine by the turbo. The only place for air to be sucked in from is that scoop located just beyond the front grill. It is not like that for an aftermarket intake. Obviously, the only air is engine bay air because that is where the inlet is located (in this case, the inlet is the cone filter).

I cant see that stock inlet transferring cold air to the open air filter element in the engine bay. There is no source to be pulling air from it.

I run Buschur's MAF Pipe and Filter. I do not have it on mine because I thought it was pointless. I noticed more and more people have it on though.

Any input would be appreciated on if this inlet with no source of suction can still help circulate cold air. Just curious on what you people think (especially Warr, David, Al, etc.). Does it work or not?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE - Yes, we have proof from Malibu Jack that there is a temperature change with the scoop added. I was indeed wrong and I have already put mine on.

I got the idea to keep the stock lid attached because it fit on my Buschur Intake perfectly. It seems like it routes the cold air DIRECTLY to and on top of the intake. There is no gap from the scoop to the filter. It almost shields the filter in order to throw the cold air directly on top of it. See the pictures below.

Do you guys think that this would be even more beneficial for cold air or it would produce a negative affect in any way? I dont want to suffocate the filter or prevent the turbo from breathing properly. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Aug 18, 2006 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Update Added
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It does help a little when your moving.. That area is a low pressure area to begin with, and doesn't get alot of natural airflow, so keeping the scoop does assist.

Its better to keep it until there is definitive data that it doesnt offer any function.. But I have measured temp differences with and without it.. Just not very significant (I have a ford AIT sensor in the intake pipe right at the air filter.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep it there to direct air to the filter, but I don't consider it important enough to worry about or discuss. As MJ mentioned, there's just not enough data to prove one way or the other.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
It does help a little when your moving.. That area is a low pressure area to begin with, and doesn't get alot of natural airflow, so keeping the scoop does assist.

Its better to keep it until there is definitive data that it doesnt offer any function.. But I have measured temp differences with and without it.. Just not very significant (I have a ford AIT sensor in the intake pipe right at the air filter.
Interest MJ. So I should put mine in. How many degrees was it cooled by?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its hard to say.. the data wasn't done very scientifically and did vary..

But you have it, its free, and it belongs there, so your not hurting anything to put it back on.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Wonderful and interesting. I wish I could do my own testing...

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Aug 18, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think it will hurt to leave it on. It does not weigh much anyways.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Very true...

Hey MJ, Is there any way to create or purchase a part to help assist in guiding the cold air into the engine and the stock inlet "scoop"?

Do those divider walls that separate the filter from the rest of the engine bay work too?

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Aug 18, 2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for leaving it on, at least it doesn't do any harm.

Also, some systems/set ups are close to the duct/scoop than others so effects may vary. More important, IMO is to somehow shield the filter form the hotter side of the engine bay...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Very true...I was thinking about building my own. Im not sure who sells pre-constructed boxes for that already though...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:05 AM

Doesnt harm it but maybe it does look a tad silly.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
+1 for leaving it on, at least it doesn't do any harm.

Also, some systems/set ups are close to the duct/scoop than others so effects may vary. More important, IMO is to somehow shield the filter form the hotter side of the engine bay...
I agree, you might as well leave it on there, especially depending on what setup you have. I have an AEM filter on the stock pipe and the air from the stock inlet comes out right next to the filter, it actually almost touches it. I don't see how it can hurt

The AEM kit also came with a heat shield but it sucks so I'm going to make my own.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Very true...I was thinking about building my own. Im not sure who sells pre-constructed boxes for that already though...

you don't really need pre-constructed boxes. Just go to Home Depot, buy some cheap sheet metal and maybe some insulation heat wrap. Then just cut and bend the sheet metal as you see fit and mount the sheild somehow.. makes for a fun project!!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

For sure...I may just do that today...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

You could try the RMR hood scoop which route the air to your intake...But then again you have to cut your hood grill

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intake with Stock Cold Air Scoop / Inlet...POINTLESS?!