Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How many of you with the tranny issues actually rev match while down shifting????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many of you with the tranny issues actually rev match while down shifting????

I am just wondering why so many people are having tranny issues. My conclusion is that the people that are having the problems don't maintain their tranny and either are ****ty at rev matching or dont do it at all.

For example when slowing the car down off a freeway offramp are you guys rev matching the downshifts and braking with the brakes??? Or are most of you engine braking?? Meaning downshifting with no blip of the revs and causing the car the jerk while it matches itself??

I went to the dealer for another testdrive and saw the guy engine braking from like 90 mph

Its no wonder all of you have problems if you are engine braking. Rev matching and heel toeing is the way to save your tranny. So I'm wondering how many of the issues with the TC and tranny are just plain driver error.

Not to mention all of you guys that street race and "slam" the gears.....hahhaha you guys are just asking for a failure.

Learn how to rev match to save your tranny from being rebuilt. Heel toe is not absolutely necessary but rev matching will seriously increase the life of your tranny when done properly.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev matching is old news but you are right, i will say all the cars '04 and up with broken trannies are 99% driver error. I dont really get your post though, the tranny issues were covered a long time ago. I haven't seen too many threads about issues in a while...
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

i never downshift once without rev matching, i just dont like that feeling when the car jerks at such a high speed. other than that i just leave the car on gear and step on the brakes until i almost come to a complete stop then put it on neutral. (only when im going slow on low gears)
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

No theres been a couple with the new 6 speeds blowing 4th gear. The tranny cannot be this fragile. I believe that maybe a handful actually had problems from the factory and I think a good amount are screwed up due to the stupid salesman at the dealerships.

But I really think a lot of the problems people are having are 100% driver error. And the fact that 18-21 year olds are the main market for this car leads me to this conclusion. The evo is definitely not a good first car.

Even though I could have afforded a much nicer car in the beginning I still drove my dads 240Z and learned how to revmatch and heel/toe off of that. I cant imagine trying to learn on the evo.

On a sidenote, while I was at the dealership there was two girls test driving one also She could barely get out of the parking lot. And she was revving to about 4500 to try and get the car turned around in the parking lot....OMG I laughed so hard that she heard me and stalled it
Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

I rev match every gear but then again i have had zero driveline issues and it is a 03, i can wait till i blow my first transfer case.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

I rev match and i think it helps with all manual's not just the EVO i also have a 92 laser that i opened the tranny for the first time at 204,000 to put a SBR lsd in and the tranny still looks good.

In my other trannys i run GM sycromesh in the trannys and it seems to work well.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

I always rev match when downshifting. It costs way too much money not to when something craps out.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Makes me feel really sorry for any evo with more than 8 miles on it from the dealer. They are all ragged on pretty good.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I reckon thats crap. Some of these cars come with crappy synchros from the factory. Ive had a 1-2 and 2-3 slight grind from mile one. No amount of fluid change, clutch adjustment will change that.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

well to be honest i dont rev match...everyone in here does so i am the outsider....i dont really downshift while coming to a stop, i guess that is pretty rough on the brakes. well i never really heard of rev matching so i will try to downshift a little more while rev matching.

i would like to get some good lessons on how to drive my car efficiently...i can drive it liek a bat out of hell with some good oversteer and i am really good at seeing lines and taking them...im just not that good at stuff like heel toeing....anyone like to give me a few tips?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

I rev match 100% of the time. It became habit back when I had my GSX. It just doesn't feel right if I don't and I hate how the car responds
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Rev matching is old news but you are right, i will say all the cars '04 and up with broken trannies are 99% driver error. I dont really get your post though, the tranny issues were covered a long time ago. I haven't seen too many threads about issues in a while...
Nez, you're just a lazy driver with a big turbo
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
definitely old news but i agree rev match is the way to go....
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Those of us who have spent any amount of time on a bike know just how important rev matching is.......after a while it becomes second nature and i agree it will save your tranny.

Josh
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

when i picked up my skyline the previous owner was engine braking and it made me want to cry i baby all my cars i never drive harder than they need to be driven im like a grandma who knows what to do and what not to do!

Quick Reply: How many of you with the tranny issues actually rev match while down shifting????