Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone else have their sales manager lie at time of purchase???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer2169
I use to sell cars and yes i sold mitsus and I have never taken advantage of someone. So it really gets to me when someone starts to generalize about how all salesman are theives and liars etc. The salesman is usually a peon in the game.The Closer and the sales guy DO NOT decide what the price of the car is it is the SALES MANAGER. If you really want to make it easy get them to come out of the fort. And when you get the 4 square write take it from the salesman, write down your REASONABLE offer and whatever other REASONABLE demands (ie. accesories, gap, etc..) and sign it. Tell him that you have 15-20 minues to have them accept your offer. If it takes too long then tellhim you need to go and to call you.

That's a fair point to bring up. 99% of the time, it's not your salesman that is pulling this stuff.

If you look at all the posts in this thread - the GAP insurance, the playing games with Intrest rates, the goofy loans, the extended warranties - that stuff is the all the work of the FINANCE manager that is f-ing you over.

It's after the sale is made and you sit down with the FINANCE dept that you are most likely to get taken advantage of. There are 3 main reasons you may get taken advantage of in the finance dept's hands:
1) You just closed the deal and got the sales price that you wanted. You think the dealing is settled and over with, so you are more relaxed and less likely to question things the finance people will pull. Now your guard is down, and you are an easy target for unecessary add-ons and fees the finance dept piles on you.
2) Finance and lease arrangements on cars can be complex. A lot of people just do not understand them or know what red flags and unnecessary add-ons to look for.
3) Your credit score sucks. This one is your own fault. But it makes it so much easier for the finance dept to take advantage of you. And since your credit sucks, your options for financing are very limited. You may be stuck with the dealer's financing.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
had a similar situation here...bought the 99 si when they first came out and they charged for the "ground effects" (front lip and side skirts) i think it was an extra 1700 - (of course this was all standard on the si's) @ least i got a rear lip spoiler included (not extra...i think) - i too was pretty anxious and didn't pay attention to the details...live and learn
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Torre from Va.
My .02 on car sales people, I work at a dealership, have been working for dealerships for a while now, I never shake sales peoples hands becuase they're all snakes !!

Really , your probably the lame a ss that makes 25,000 a year . I am very proud of selling cars and make over 80,000 a year for the past 4 years , your all just mad cause we got more game than you period . ANd if you know anything about the car business , GAP , Higher interest rates are the finance departments profit idiot. So maybe your thread should say " ever had a finance manger lie to you "...

Last edited by EVOIX4me; Aug 21, 2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIX4me
Really , your probably the lame a ss that makes 25,000 a year . I am very proud of selling cars and make over 80,000 a year for the past 4 years , your all just mad cause we got more game than you period . ANd if you know anything about the car business , GAP , Higher interest rates are the finance departments profit idiot. So maybe your thread should say " ever had a finance manger lie to you "...
Let me ask you something......if there was a rebate on a car that i was buying from you and I did not know about it, would you tell me about it or would you keep your mouth shut because it would put an extra $250.00 in your pocket. I can tell you what you would do....you would keep your mouth shut. Why, because you would get the extra money in your pocket and are NOT looking out for the good of the person buying the car. Shame on me for not researching before i buy and shame on the salesman for taking advantage of the customer. I thinnk all car pricing should be fixed just like Saturn and carmax do. You pay what you see on the sticker...everthing is fair and no one gets screwed or overpays. Dont get me wrong I dont hate salespeople, you could not buy without them. I sell yamaha bikes, atvs and waverunners. Just my 2 cents
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Let me ask you something......if there was a rebate on a car that i was buying from you and I did not know about it, would you tell me about it or would you keep your mouth shut because it would put an extra $250.00 in your pocket...
Assuming this is a hypothetical question, even a good saleman will keep his mouth shut IMHO. There's no crime in making a buck. I've got my own bills to pay. If you didn't do your homework before buying a car then I assume the savings associated with the rebate were not important to you. I know that sounds callous but sales is not customer service. It's driven by commissions. Maybe if I'm having a good month or dealing with a referral I'll mention the rebate. Otherwise most likely not. Something people need to understand about promotions is that invariably they're for the customer. That means the salesman can become more competitive because of a lower price but he will take a hit on his commissions. Maybe from 5% to 4.5% or 12% to 8% depending on what's being sold. The corporation never takes a hit. Just the little guy. At least that's my experience in office equipment sales.

Last edited by Turd Squirter; Aug 21, 2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:07 PM

I'm going through some $hit now with my ride. They told me they did that whole Mitsubishi certified check, but never told me the car has no cat ( which I'm fine with even though it's illegal for them to sell to me without) and with a bad transfer case. Reason I know is because they left an invoice with the last owners info and I called him and he told me they new all this before they even took his car in as trade in for a new one. I hate dealers....
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by GoneIn420
It took me a year to figure this one out, via my window sticker. My bad, I just wanted the car so bad they could see it. They charged me an extra $31.04 a month for the anti-theft immobilizer that is INCLUDED with the car. Which equates to a total of 1800 bucks + or -. WTF. That's a set of nice coilovers. Truthfully, I can afford it but for someone to lie in front of my face is truly f'd up. I doubt I can do anything about it now but how can someone justify their income by lying to someone? F@#K cars stealsman. They will see me within the next few weeks, and if the same guy is working there he will get a piece of my fist, no joke Ontario Mitsubishi, F@#K YOU, what a joke. Thanks for the rant, peace.
do you mind telling us which dealership was it?
thanks
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek

Oh, and I will NOT be going to Huntington Beach Mitsubishi again if I ever buy another Evo.
I sencond that. That was my first choice for buying an evo since I heard nothing but good things about them 2 years ago. I wanted to avoid the finance games and got pre approved at a credit union with a co-signer.

The finance manager decided to pull a quick one.. he didn't mark the "Option contract" box, and put in a bs APR and estimated payments. When I questioned him why the payment information is there if I'm basically paying the car in full, he explained that's just in case they dont get the check from the credit union.

In reality they tried to do their own financing (extra cash for them). They submitted my info to about 10 banks, all unsuccessful since I needed a cosigner in the first place. The day I came in to pick up my car I had the sales manager in a very rude and confrontational way tell me that my pre-approved loan was not going through implying it's mine fault.

How do I know this? I had 10 credit inqueries put on my record!!

Went straight down to South Coast and got my evo in no time
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:22 AM
Account Disabled

Its a trick ALL car salesman use. They take what YOU are looking for in a car and use it against you. I learned tricks from being a car salesman (not anymore) He used one of the features you liked and justified the cost because its a feature you wanted. Regardless if its included in the car or not.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Now here is a typical car salesman
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rushin
I sencond that. That was my first choice for buying an evo since I heard nothing but good things about them 2 years ago. I wanted to avoid the finance games and got pre approved at a credit union with a co-signer.

The finance manager decided to pull a quick one.. he didn't mark the "Option contract" box, and put in a bs APR and estimated payments. When I questioned him why the payment information is there if I'm basically paying the car in full, he explained that's just in case they dont get the check from the credit union.

In reality they tried to do their own financing (extra cash for them). They submitted my info to about 10 banks, all unsuccessful since I needed a cosigner in the first place. The day I came in to pick up my car I had the sales manager in a very rude and confrontational way tell me that my pre-approved loan was not going through implying it's mine fault.

How do I know this? I had 10 credit inqueries put on my record!!

Went straight down to South Coast and got my evo in no time
In most states, that is completely illegal. You should check for where you live, but applying for credit on your behalf without your consent is *highly* illegal in most places.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

^^ 2nd. You should never go back to that dealer. It's illegal in US to apply a loan without one's written approval...
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:55 AM

Like i said go to that carbuyingtips website and read some of the crap they try and pull off on you, you will be very surprised when you read that stuff.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

I agree somewhat, it's both departments !! but I make more than 25K thanks !!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PessimiStick
In most states, that is completely illegal. You should check for where you live, but applying for credit on your behalf without your consent is *highly* illegal in most places.
You're right. But I did sign an application with them during working out the deal. They said they wouldn't run my credit since I'm pre-approved, but It's standard procedure - shows them that I'm serious.. or some bs...

Quick Reply: Anyone else have their sales manager lie at time of purchase???