Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone else have their sales manager lie at time of purchase???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rushin
I sencond that. That was my first choice for buying an evo since I heard nothing but good things about them 2 years ago. I wanted to avoid the finance games and got pre approved at a credit union with a co-signer.

The finance manager decided to pull a quick one.. he didn't mark the "Option contract" box, and put in a bs APR and estimated payments. When I questioned him why the payment information is there if I'm basically paying the car in full, he explained that's just in case they dont get the check from the credit union.

In reality they tried to do their own financing (extra cash for them). They submitted my info to about 10 banks, all unsuccessful since I needed a cosigner in the first place. The day I came in to pick up my car I had the sales manager in a very rude and confrontational way tell me that my pre-approved loan was not going through implying it's mine fault.

How do I know this? I had 10 credit inqueries put on my record!!

Went straight down to South Coast and got my evo in no time
Let me define what an OPTION contract is. An Option contract is what it says OPTION. The dealer will get the best deal they can for you BUT AT YOUR OPTION they will give you a certain amount of days before the contract is in effect. So if you have an option contract for like 10 days. You have 10 days to bring the check to the dealership if not then they will submit the contract to the lender and you have to pay the lender off. The purpose of this is so that the dealer gets their money for the car. Every deal to a dealership is a CASH deal to them. Wether you are leasing, financing, or writing a check they get a check for the full amount of the car from the lender. It's not like the old days where the dealership gets their money when the borrower makes their payment.

Next when a credit union or when you go out and get your own financing, the lender/loan officer will specifically tell you to get a purchase contract, not an option contract. You do not need to give them your social for a purchase contract. The only thing the purchase contract will say is what the price of the car is and whatever fees are associated with it. Again for a straight cash, cashier check, money order deal they do not need your social because funds are already verified. If you are writing a personal check they will want to run your credit to see if you are good or bad. Example if you write a check and you have a 500 score they are pretty hesitant to give you the car like that. If you dont want it run at all tell them you will pick up the car when the check clears
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MiamiEvo8
I'm going through some $hit now with my ride. They told me they did that whole Mitsubishi certified check, but never told me the car has no cat ( which I'm fine with even though it's illegal for them to sell to me without) and with a bad transfer case. Reason I know is because they left an invoice with the last owners info and I called him and he told me they new all this before they even took his car in as trade in for a new one. I hate dealers....
when a vehicle is certified it has to go through an inspection which the technician needs to sign off on which then gets sent to mitsu corporate. If you are looking to buy a used car DEMAND to see what kind of work they did to it. They have Repair Orders on all their cars because they have to go through a safety inspection. If they dont show it to you walk away. Again if you are looking to buy a used car demand to see what they did to it. Things to look for:

1: look when the repair order was opened it will tell you how long they had the car
2: It will show you the condition of brakes, tires, cosmetic repairs etc....
3: if the car was serviced and sold at that dealer they may have the entire service history available and any service writer can print out the history if its a same brand car/dealership using the mitsu service database.

It is your job as the consumer to the research and ask the questions. Sales is easy we ask you what you wantand we give it to you. If you don't tell us then guess what you will get screwed
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MiamiEvo8
I'm going through some $hit now with my ride. They told me they did that whole Mitsubishi certified check, but never told me the car has no cat ( which I'm fine with even though it's illegal for them to sell to me without) and with a bad transfer case. Reason I know is because they left an invoice with the last owners info and I called him and he told me they new all this before they even took his car in as trade in for a new one. I hate dealers....

call the state attorneys office or a private lawyer.
in florida
both things they did were illegal. and voids the contract.
the latter is deceptive business practices. you have proof they knew of a majordefect and did not notify you of it.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SaOrlando
call the state attorneys office or a private lawyer.
in florida
both things they did were illegal. and voids the contract.
the latter is deceptive business practices. you have proof they knew of a majordefect and did not notify you of it.
Well before he goes through all that how long have you had the car?
you need to get the entire service history making sure that somewhere in there it says about the tc case. Once you get all the papers that verify that speak the GM and the Owner if possible. If they don't help you or give you **** about it then call a lawyer
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

be professional about and don't lose your cool and remember to get what ever they offer you in writing. Bring a friend and ask somone from service (any random customer) to go with you just so you have witnesses
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:57 PM

I have not lost my cool yet. This thursday the Mitsu Evo guy is comming down to inspect the car to say yay or nay to warrenty the transfer case. If he give approval I don't care abot the fact they lied to me caus ethe problem will be taken care. Buttom line is I love this car and finally got it. If they fix it I'm happy if not all hell is breaking loose and I'm calling the state attorney's office. Oh by the way I'm holding the downpayment till matter gets resolved.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

so you just bought it recently does the previous owner have any paperwork regarding about that?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedracer2169
Next when a credit union or when you go out and get your own financing, the lender/loan officer will specifically tell you to get a purchase contract, not an option contract.
That's good to know.. wasn't aware of that.

But there was some shadyness happening on their side since the finance manager didn't even give me the OPTION contract

What dealership do you work at?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

i dont work for dealership anymore.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 05:01 PM

getting my transfer case ordered. good load of my chest, thank god
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

A few years back Mark Mitsubishi told me the bank required me to have an extended warranty because of the cost of the vehicle. I told them the story didn't make any sense because the bank doesn't want to finance you for more than the vehicle is worth and they just lied to my face. When the sales manager came back with I never lie to customers I got out the seat and told him to have the bank fax over a copy of that request. He then told me he is not in the business for handing out financial information. I was on my way out the door when I seen my salesman with the look of shock on his face cause his dumba$$ boss just screwed up his deal. I went to talk with him cause we had a good conversation before and he was cool and understood. Another manager quickly came out to apologize and I bought the car without any extras of course in respect for the salesman who I knew was not in on the garbage. The manager then tried to offer me a job because he liked the way I handled myself. How ignorant is that?!?!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone ever buy a car when the sales manager DIDN'T lie? Now that would be a miracle.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

This thread is the reason why i DO NOT even visit dealerships period!. i buy from private party, to me its safer that way and you get some great deals. i bought my 2003 evo8 for 18$ with 38xxx miles off craigslist.com from some guy in sacramento. sorry to the guy that noticed he got screwd.

- shane
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nooshefx
A few years back Mark Mitsubishi told me the bank required me to have an extended warranty because of the cost of the vehicle. I told them the story didn't make any sense because the bank doesn't want to finance you for more than the vehicle is worth and they just lied to my face. When the sales manager came back with I never lie to customers I got out the seat and told him to have the bank fax over a copy of that request. He then told me he is not in the business for handing out financial information. I was on my way out the door when I seen my salesman with the look of shock on his face cause his dumba$$ boss just screwed up his deal. I went to talk with him cause we had a good conversation before and he was cool and understood. Another manager quickly came out to apologize and I bought the car without any extras of course in respect for the salesman who I knew was not in on the garbage. The manager then tried to offer me a job because he liked the way I handled myself. How ignorant is that?!?!
in some cases the bank will have some stips like that you must have gap but not the warranty. The unconditional loan approval will tell them how much they can charge for warranty, gap, even the ltv and if downpayment is required. They can show you the letter but they might not show you the numbers. If they dont want to show it to you walk away.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GoneIn420
It took me a year to figure this one out, via my window sticker. My bad, I just wanted the car so bad they could see it. They charged me an extra $31.04 a month for the anti-theft immobilizer that is INCLUDED with the car. Which equates to a total of 1800 bucks + or -. WTF. That's a set of nice coilovers. Truthfully, I can afford it but for someone to lie in front of my face is truly f'd up. I doubt I can do anything about it now but how can someone justify their income by lying to someone? F@#K cars stealsman. They will see me within the next few weeks, and if the same guy is working there he will get a piece of my fist, no joke Ontario Mitsubishi, F@#K YOU, what a joke. Thanks for the rant, peace.
Dude, these people are scumbags. You need to do your homework on cars before purchasing because they WILL screw you.

Where this is going to be difficult for you is because the car is a year old now and you've been making payments. IF this was within the 1st month of purchase it would probably be easier to deal with.

I would go back to the dealership and tell them that they are charging you for a STANDARD OPTION! Whether anything would come of it remains to be seen. If that doesn't work, try contacting Mitsubishi.

Good luck getting any of this changed....

Quick Reply: Anyone else have their sales manager lie at time of purchase???