Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm... Just an fyi.

S2000 manual says not to tow, but fellow auto-xers tow tires,tools and jack hundreds of miles.

Mistu manual for GSX (AWD Turbo) says not to tow, but uhaul makes a hitch for them for light trailer like tires.

I would say anything under 500lbs should be fine. Just watch the tongue weight and take the hitch off anytime you plan on taking it in for service. Just as a CYA.

/<
Old May 2, 2003, 11:56 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
You'll have no problems towing a small trailer. Not sure what your trailer is like, but as long as it doesn't have more than 50-75 lbs of tongue weight and is fairly long you'll be ok. Make sure the hitch attaches to several places on the frame, as that is the weak link in the system.

There is a chance that having a hitch will void your warranty, but if you take it in just say you use the hitch for a bike rack.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I to will be putting one on my car but will be designing it my self. The only thing I will say about the one for the OZ is if the rear fascia in the same place, IE will the hitch make it below the fascia or will a hole be needed. The last thing is if the dealer gives you a hard time about the warranty tell them you not using it to tow you are using it for a bike rack.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:21 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

I agree that a lightweight tire/tool trailer as you described will do no harm, but you already know that. Not sure if the parts below tha facia on the EVO are the same as the Lancer OZ or not. A part number inquiry/comparison at a Mitsu dealer would probably answer your question.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:45 PM

Toung weight on my trailer is like 15 punds, good advice to keep it reasonably light.

I look forward to hearing back from folks who do it before I get my car, which may not be until August.

Michael
Old May 2, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

People may want to use a tow hitch for that type of bike rack. I'd prefer not to use a roof rack, and good luck finding a trunk rack that fits around the CF spoiler.
Old May 16, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody tried this hitch or was able to get any other hitch to work for the Evo?