Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Taper.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterEVOO
what boost gauge are you running?
Autometer Carbon.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

As for the HP TXS Boost Controller, they re-did the entire design. it used to be an alan wrench adjusted unit with a little bit different internal-workings. Now it's adjusted by simply turning the top negative or positive, it's a LOT better. They just recently updated the design.

" High Perfomance Boost Controller (BC-HPBC)
Utilizing a uniquely engineered ball/spring mechanism combine with an adjustable bleed valve, the BC-HPBC allows you to spool your turbo to full boost up to hundreds of RPM faster than stock! The adjustable bleed mechanism lets you minimize the massive boost "spike" that can occur with poorly designed ball/spring manual boost controllers. "
Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There's not really anything for the Forge WGA to help.

The TXS MBCs in no way compare to the Hallman or Forge UNOS. They do not work well at all, so not sure where that sentiment came from. You can read countless threads on people ditching their TXS for a Forge or Hallman BECAUSE of the bleed hole (it's a negative thing, not a positive).
Also, the TXS MBC does suck. That's not the what I have, nor the other gentleman had. We have the HP model, with an entirely different system.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I have a Forge UNOS and I still taper that much as well, its normal.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Me too....hit 22psi but taper to 20/19 psi around redline. I have 269 cams and heard it's a big issues with the evo 8 especially running cams.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Warr I dont see the issue with the boost if he was safely tuned for that pressure. I've seen several IX's hit 24-25psi on 91 oct. let alone 93
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He wasn't tuned in 4th and 5th gear, I'm sure. I'm also sure you've seen people hit that on 91, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
He wasn't tuned in 4th and 5th gear, I'm sure. I'm also sure you've seen people hit that on 91, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Oh god here we again with your generalizations I'm not even going to argue with you anymore on what's safe and whats not, as its a losing battle. Bottomline, your comment was misleading and plain wrong. Many evo IXs are SAFELY tuned with high boost and less timing, come on you know this!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

My car was tuned to spike 24psi in third gear on a Mustang dyno by Jestr Tuning. You can speak to him if you want to call him a "liar."
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Varrius
My car was tuned to spike 24psi in third gear on a Mustang dyno by Jestr Tuning. You can speak to him if you want to call him a "liar."
Jestr knows whats up so I'm sure you're car got a powerful and safe tune, so don't worry about Warrs ignorant comment. As long as you have a safe tune and you monitor your car, peak psi isn't a big issue because every car is different. To answer the original question your boost taper is perfectly normal for a stock ecu/turbo IX!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

on 104 sunco i hit 32 psi and taper to 21 in third
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Varrius
I have the TurboXS HP Boost Controller. I tried a Forge UNOS, it didn't hold boost as good. It could be my car, too. Who knows. But, if what Warrtalon is saying is true, I will leave it a lone. By the way, this setting was made by John with Jestr, I have not touched the boost controller, as he told me not to, since the tune. Also, another question. If I get the Forge WGA, it won't help me, at all?
What I used to do was close the bleeder valve almost all the way and set the ball/spring for roughly the boost I wanted just after the spike. Then I would use the small bleeder valve to dial out the spike. This would then drop the overall boost slightly, so I would very slightly increase the ball/spring pressure. This sometimes introduced another slight spike, so again I would tune it out with the bleeder. I had great luck with my old style even with the alan-key adjustment screws. Maybe people just don't have the patience to tune both valves? I dont' know why you would need to ditch the thing because of the bleeder valve since you can just close it all the way anyway. If I was going to stay with a MBC that's definitely the one I would get again.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the bottom line is that boost taper is normal. There are ways to try to make the turbo hold higher boost but that doesn't mean its better for performance. The turbo can only flow X amount of air. Running it at a higher boost level will probably do more harm than good. Spiking to 24 is acceptable if tuned for it but I agree with Warr that running 25PSI in taller higher load gears is probably not a good thing. I would be willing to bet he is getting knock and timing pull. I would be interested in a log of timing during a high gear pull.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes taper is normal. I think you should strive to avoid spiking though. I will gladly give up some ramp-up time for a smooth boost curve.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I think the bottom line is that boost taper is normal. There are ways to try to make the turbo hold higher boost but that doesn't mean its better for performance. The turbo can only flow X amount of air. Running it at a higher boost level will probably do more harm than good. Spiking to 24 is acceptable if tuned for it but I agree with Warr that running 25PSI in taller higher load gears is probably not a good thing. I would be willing to bet he is getting knock and timing pull. I would be interested in a log of timing during a high gear pull.
Jestr said there was no Knock what-so-ever during the tune.