Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Catback w/dynoflash

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catback w/dynoflash

I will be getting a full custom dynoflash soon, in this upcoming socal meet. Would it be worth it for me to get a catback or just leave the stock exhaust? I'm just basing this on whether its benifical for me to add on a catback, while I can, or it wouldn't make any difference.

Thanks...
Old Aug 26, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ion619
I will be getting a full custom dynoflash soon, in this upcoming socal meet. Would it be worth it for me to get a catback or just leave the stock exhaust? I'm just basing this on whether its benifical for me to add on a catback, while I can, or it wouldn't make any difference.

Thanks...
Get a full TBE. Pay the extra 200-300 for the downpipe its worth it. With a full TBE & tune you will notice tons of power.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IX stealth MR
Get a full TBE. Pay the extra 200-300 for the downpipe its worth it. With a full TBE & tune you will notice tons of power.

+1
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

+2 Also get a drop-in filter. Slighty use K&N's can be found for around $30-40 shipped. If you buy new, blow off the extra oil before install.
I just have a TBE and a drop in. After the flash, I noticed a HUGE difference!
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leave it stock with just a flash if you want to, because honestly the car will pick up tons of power from just the flash.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

if your going custom tune make sure you get as many mods as you can,3 inch turbo back with an MBC,boost gauge,fuel pump and drop in filter is a must and will make a huge difference
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

+3 if money is no option geth the turbo back exhaust. With a good launch you'll be breaking into the high 3 second 0-60 with turbo back exhaust... 400hp if you're getting a good dynoflash! I have just the dynoflash and beleive me, it's plenty of power but it's really about what YOU want
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:49 PM

yah.. i hear you guys.. but my plans is just a "drop in" for sure and 50/50 on a catback.. that's it.. no more.. my question is.. is the catback worth it? would it make a difference having one or just stick with the stock exhaust, going with a custom tune..
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

Stock exhaust will help you in terms of noise/emissions. I do believe I've read a few articles and even a cat-back would net you maybe 5hp on a dyno. It's still better than nothing, and if you get it, then at least it's a few sections less you have to buy in the future.

BTW: I do have another drop-in if you want to PM me

It certainly can't hurt to get a Cat-back, I don't see why everyone complains about getting the whole thing, something is still better than nothing. Megan TBE were going for like $500 shipped before? Do a search online, someone was selling a whole setup. Remember you'll have to figure out your CEL as well, so get the mechanical O2 fix going on, or an O2 simulator, still only like $30 more max.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

del
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

yah.. i hear you guys.. but my plans is just a "drop in" for sure and 50/50 on a catback.. that's it.. no more.. my question is.. is the catback worth it? would it make a difference having one or just stick with the stock exhaust, going with a custom tune..
OK you have you go with facts -- (1) a flash on the IX with MBC and stock exhaust can give you 40 whp + , (2) all data indicates that a bigger TBE is better, but requires a new tune, (3) I installed a new TBE (Megan Racing), with a fuel pump (not needed), and a new flash and gained very little torque and lost hp...I suspect the issue was related to heat (as the baseline numbers were in January and the recent run was August -- 50 degree difference), but still I am concerned.

I was VERY happy with the stock exhaust and power. If I cannot get to ~ 330 / 330, I will be returning my TBE and staying with stock.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
OK you have you go with facts -- (1) a flash on the IX with MBC and stock exhaust can give you 40 whp + , (2) all data indicates that a bigger TBE is better, but requires a new tune, (3) I installed a new TBE (Megan Racing), with a fuel pump (not needed), and a new flash and gained very little torque and lost hp...I suspect the issue was related to heat (as the baseline numbers were in January and the recent run was August -- 50 degree difference), but still I am concerned.

I was VERY happy with the stock exhaust and power. If I cannot get to ~ 330 / 330, I will be returning my TBE and staying with stock.
Re-dyno in a couple of months in cooler temps, if numbers still aren't up to your liking, then perhaps a custom tune would help. Just never been a fan of mail in flashes. I just don't see a need to ditch the TBE.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:43 PM

so.. overall.. spending another $300 to $500 for a catback isn't worth it compared to the stock exhaust, considering having a custom tune...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:53 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

so.. overall.. spending another $300 to $500 for a catback isn't worth it compared to the stock exhaust, considering having a custom tune...
I'd say its worth it, but it would be much better if you can complete your exhaust system by purchasing a downpipe and a test pipe/or high flow cat.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 09:12 PM
Account Disabled

Its a tough call what to do

A cat back really is not that significant a modification on the IX - I think its mostly cosmetic and sound improver - the evo exhausts are very well designed

Also its like the weak link on a chain - just changing one part leaves the other sections with bottle necks - you really have to change the whole system

I would think you should try and determine what is your ultimate objective for the car which is very hard as if you are anything like me what ever you do you will soon grow used to the power and want more

A turbo back is great but involves a trade off - the cops in CA are total dicks and can pull you over for just an exhaust and I got one of those tickets for $375 the last time I was out there in a car with an intake and an exhuast

The bottom line is that a bone stock IX on 91 is going to make 290 or so whp depending on what kind of dyno you use

A stage I evo with a T/B exhaust and intake with MBC will make about 320 - 330 whp with the same 91 octane fuel

Considering that no reliable cams have yet to be perfected for the IX that is about as far as you can go

On 91 octane I would only do a custom tune as the fuel is tricky

If you can afford to do a full stage I kit or a Warrtalon Package from Buschur, IMHO that is the best path I could suggest along with a custom tune - it would be a good 11 second capable car that maintains 100% stock like function - all gains and no trade off. It would set you back less than $1500 for the complete Warrtalon kit and the custom tuen which in my book is a great bang for the buck

OIn the other hand a nice warranty freindly and cop friendly stock looking IX with 30 more whp from a flash would also be nice

You have to select the path that appeals to you and suits your budget and needs

Quick Reply: Catback w/dynoflash