Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Opinions: nitrous wet or dry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the nitrous would also come along with a nitrous tune as well, so i woulndt run to lean or go to rich... ill look more into alky kits now, i wasnt planning on buying one till a little down the road, but it seems that most prefre that more
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Methonal WINS
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I use nitrous on my evo and I love it. It has instant spool and cools the air like a meth kit. I use a dual stage wet kit. I spray 50 out of the hole and another 50 in second. I don't recommend a reflash with nitrous because it leans out your fuel table and advances your ingition. Two bad things with nitrous. I use an AEM EMS to tune my car. If you buy a kit it comes with everything you need to hook it up including a WOT switch. You don't use a button like you see in the movies. If you have any other questons hit me up on AIM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

you need some cams and alky
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wet
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Cam and alky + tune is what you need now.After you bored,then it's time for nitrous.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

NITROUS IS BAD!!!!

i dont care what anyone says, i have done the research and every book i have read and every expert i have asked says the same thing.

"nitrous oxide hurts your engine, the shot size just determines how bad you hurt your engine. Now it may not be noticable at first and maybe a 50 shot only takes 1/1000ths of an inch of a pitson or bore but over time each shot hurts. Everyone that runs nitrous oxide should now that in time they will need to replace their engine."
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

now i forgot to add somethign to my last comment. IF you still want to use nitrous, then i would use it to spray the outside of the intecooler to cool it down before a run but i hear freon works just as well but cheaper.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

I do a leak down on my car every time I do a oil change and it has no more than 10% leak down. My car also has 87,000+ miles. I have sprayed a 100 shot alot. Nitrous is bad on bearings not a piston. It doesn't away piston material. Who ever said that needs to not be around cars.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Sure, there are added stress to an engine. But, I don't see it any different than adding more boost compare to stock. N2O does cool down the intake temp a little by adding WET spray to be able to run more aggressive, just like ALKY/Methonol/water sprayer/injection. What's important is really the tuning! Without proper tuning of AFR and Timing, it is damaging your motor either way. Yes, "WET" system is way to go, on turbo cars you have N2O systems to help spool big turbo faster, other than that I do not see a need for N2O as increasing boost have same effects without cost of having N2O filled and available all the time... It is not that cheap to fill N20 all the time!

Just my 2 cents!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

With the wet systems the ratio of fuel to nitrous is set. For a given amount of nitrous the volume of O2 released is always a constant, so the fuel added will always be the same. I think that is why the wet systems are so much safer. You need to compensate your timing on the ecu though.

I do not see a properly set up nitrous kit being bad for your motor.

If I understand it right...as well as cooling off the intake charge, the heat of combustion (570 deg Far.) releases the molecules of oxygen from the nitrogen (N2O) This is where your extra oxygen comes from and thus, your need for more fuel.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewblueeye
NITROUS IS BAD!!!!

i dont care what anyone says, i have done the research and every book i have read and every expert i have asked says the same thing.

"nitrous oxide hurts your engine, the shot size just determines how bad you hurt your engine. Now it may not be noticable at first and maybe a 50 shot only takes 1/1000ths of an inch of a pitson or bore but over time each shot hurts. Everyone that runs nitrous oxide should now that in time they will need to replace their engine."
Bad for the engine and a turbo isn't?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
People say use alchohol because its fairly cheap and you can use it for whatever type of driving you do. Alchy is no safer than nitrous. Alchy simply cannot compete with nitrous returns.

Nitrous is sort of a pain though. It takes awhile for the bottle to heat up to operating pressure, you always have the urge to open the bottle, and, if you dont open it that will be the time you get pimped. When you first get the juice you tend to spray alot but after awhile the buzz wears off and you are more responsible with it.

Keep in mind its getting more and more expensive to fill and harder to find filling stations (in my area). Also, if something does fail (like a fuel soliniod) bad things happen very quickly.

I've run nitrous on my last two cars and am seriously considering it on my EVO. Nothing can compare to bang4$ that nitrous provides.

Answer = Single fogger wet kit mounted a few inches in front of the TB.