Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Windshield

Well today was the first time I drove my evo in a week, and as I was inspecting her before leaving my driveway I discovered a 9" crack in the bottom right hand corner of the windshield Upon closer inspection I found the impact mark which was a very tiny star, obviously from a rock or something similar. I suspect it got hit while I was on my 300 mile round trip journey to Sacramento last week. I remember hearing some rock impacts on the windshield a couple of times from the damn construction trucks but I dont think it started to spread right away because I didn't notice it when I got home, even when I was working on my car right afterwards. I'm really surprised it broke that easily from such a tiny pebble. Has anyone else experienced their windshield cracking very easily? The evo windshields seem to be very thin and fragile from what I've been reading. Damn I'm so bummed right now, how much is this going to cost me and what kind of windshield replacement should I get?

Thanks for reading, sorry no pics but you get the idea
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
Well today was the first time I drove my evo in a week, and as I was inspecting her before leaving my driveway I discovered a 9" crack in the bottom right hand corner of the windshield Upon closer inspection I found the impact mark which was a very tiny star, obviously from a rock or something similar. I suspect it got hit while I was on my 300 mile round trip journey to Sacramento last week. I remember hearing some rock impacts on the windshield a couple of times from the damn construction trucks but I dont think it started to spread right away because I didn't notice it when I got home, even when I was working on my car right afterwards. I'm really surprised it broke that easily from such a tiny pebble. Has anyone else experienced their windshield cracking very easily? The evo windshields seem to be very thin and fragile from what I've been reading. Damn I'm so bummed right now, how much is this going to cost me and what kind of windshield replacement should I get?

Thanks for reading, sorry no pics but you get the idea
I have a VERY small windshield chip, two actually. They're about this size . literally. They didn't do anything. It happens though, I just have to live with it. I have the same year and color as you, good choice on the color. The Evo windshield is lighter than the regular lancers, so they crack easily. It's for weight compensation. When you get it replaced, make sure you DO get the OEM windshield, as to avoid having waves in it, which most aftermarket Cheapo-Depto Glass has. Get on the phone with your insurance company ASAP. . . . Hell, I'd call the 24/7 claims service RIGHT NOW.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
glass, at the shop i work at its like $250-500 for a windshield from some place we sublet to.... thats customer price, so it shouldn't be that bad....
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:38 PM

there is no replacement winshield that is 140 bucks.....you cant find them at any glass repair shops located at various locations.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

i got mine replaced with a normal lancer glass. it was about 160 installed
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:45 PM

yea me too... the guys used safelight i think?? or something like that.... its the normal lancer glass i guess... its looks almost the same except the shade in the middle is a tiny bit smaller than the oem glass... got mine for 180$ installed, lifetime warranty on everything you could think of except getting hit and cracked by a rock again....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
FYI, the normal lancer windshield is thicker and heavier then the EVO windshield. It all bout weight savings
Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Glass

Check with your insurance company. I have Stae Farm and they cover any glass damage 100% with no deductibles or change in premiums.

Originally Posted by evo/X
there is no replacement winshield that is 140 bucks.....you cant find them at any glass repair shops located at various locations.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm on my 3rd windshield. It's all the fault of those slow drivers that force me to tailgate them!!

EVOlutionary

p. s. FYI, if I remember correctly the stock EVO windshield is like $500-$600.

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Aug 30, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:54 PM

I got 2 tiny chips on my windshield on 2 different days but in the same exact place on the same freeway. What are the odds. Cross my fingers they haven't spread. BTW get the proper Evo windshield not some cheap heavy lancer one. Or what's next install lancer O.Z. badge?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 01:41 PM

I have a GG IX MR and I have had the same problem. When I bought the car brand new it had a crack in the windsheild from delivery. The dealership replaced the windsheild before I took delivery of the car.

Last week on my way to work as I was driving down the highway a rock or something came out of no where and hit my windsheild leaving a very small chip in my glass right in my view. It pisses me off everytime I get in the car but it is so small (about the size of the end of a pen) that it is not worth fixing. From all the posts in this thread it looks like chipped windsheilds are very common for Evos..

I guess I am a little too **** about my car...

Pete
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:25 PM

I got two chips in my windshield in about a weeks time. One was about 3 inches from the bottom of the windshield, near the center, and wound up spreading to a crack about 14 inches long. The second had started to spread as well when I had it replaced. It wound up costing me about 375 to replace.

The stock glass is lighter weight, but I suspect it's also a bit more susceptible to cracking as a result.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

here is what you can do man. its kinda shady but whatever. if you ever driving on the high way and you see a trucker (like big one hauling a big load) look and see if there is a phone number on the side of the vehicle, write that down and any VID# (if any). the next day call that company (try to make it a big one). tell them that the truck flung a rock at your windshield and that you would like them to replace it. tell them where you evo will be and they will have a glass guy come out and replace the window for you. IF you can try to find a truck that has a broken mud flap or one that doesnt have any on, they are best b/c its a hazard.

ps. if you want flip the driver off too. so when he is questioned about it at work he will be like ' yeah i remember him/that car'. (hehe)

- shane