Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2003 | 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb Some thoughts

Sup people, i dont post very often but since ive just hit the 1500 mile mark i figured i'd put up a few comments and thoughts ive had regarding my Evo and how its been thus far. To give you the idea if i still am as excited about it now as i was when i first got it, i still walk away from it practically backwards staring at it after i get out of it. The car is phenomenal - i have not had any paint problems, light problems, spoiler bubble issues, transmission noises, sunrooof problems, nothing. no problems at all. i drive the car hard every time i get it in - the brakes are always at operating temperature....heal and toe downshifting in parking publix parking lots.....i use the car. well here are the comments

- the car definitely drives like crap with the a/c on. complete crap under 3000rpm. for those of you that say it doesnt, i guess your used to civic dx type power with the a/c cuz its simply slow/sluggish almost like somethings wrong. S2000 drives better with the A/C on and has more torque/pulls harder under 3k rpm than the evo. people yapping about torque this torque that, when you drive this car slow and relax shifting at 3500 - its just horrible. thats y im always driving it on the boil and get shiet gas mileage.

- clutch chatters. never heard that on a stock clutch car before. im gonna have the dealer check it out cuz its pretty noticable at idle when you get on and off the clutch (like in ur drive way u can hear it). clutch still engages good i guess, but this car is a really pain to get off the line smoothly without riding the clutch for ever. also sucks that it bogs to like 1000 or 1500 whenever you let it out easy driving normally, then the car has no power to pull itself. the car drives like my turbo corolla did that ran rich throughout the entire rpm range. no power till boost comes on, and in a stock car, thats not a cool thing. THE CAR NEEDS A NEW IGN/FUEL map NOW!!!.

- WHY IN THE HELL is this STI/EVO thing even still going on? WHO CARES? all these paper/ magazie racers are really blowing it for me. its just a buncha people online yapping cuz they dont have either car and arent gonna have either car and just wanna be in on the conversation with nothing RELEVANT OR CONCRETE TO ADD. there have been so many assumptions made with the STI as well as the EVO that i dont see why any real enthusiasts would even partake in these childish threads. i got so hyped off of salesman and what people telling me about the evo and what magazine articles said about it that - I WAS THOROUGHLY DISSAPOINTED WHEN I FIRST DROVE IT - granted it was a car that wasnt broken in, the hype had me thinkin THIS CAR IS SLOW. i was so hyped about speed that i seriously thought that the car was slow, slow like WTF? THIS IS THE EVO?. after driving it again and thinkin about it, i had to get back to reality and realize this is a corked up supercar. its not slow, its just engineered EXACTLY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BUY IT. BAND WAGONERS. (wagoners? lol) seems like people that never put premium gas in their life, people that never broke an automobile in before, broke in brakes n the sort. people that never smelt new brakes before. granted these are things that not everybody is gonnna know about and you have to start somewhere, but these seemto be the same type of people PAPER RACING the EVO and STI and I as well as yall, keep readin the bs threads and entertaining them. THE STI/EVO debate has really woken me up as to WHO is buying these cars and HOW MUCH they really like them/ appreciate them. these people wanna know, which car is NUMBER 1, and thats the one they want, no matter which one it is. ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE.

to give you an example of what a REAL subaru enthusiasts reacts like to the evo, about a month ago i went to the local car hangout and this guy from the local Subaru dealership was there admiring the car. Someone mentioned "the STI is gonnna be bad" "y didnt you wait for that" or something like that and simply stated this is a more drivers oriented car with the highlight being the steering response/ratio and suspension. THe salesman/enthusiasts simply said "yup, the evos steering ratio and handling is something that the STI wont be able to match" thats it, no mention of dccdcdc this or ayc that or none of that crap - CUZ ITS THE SUM OF THE PARTS that make the car, NOT THE INDIVIDUAL PARTS. A LOT OF SUBARU GUYS, as WELL AS EVO GUYS DONT GET THIS. "its got brembos, its gotta be good" "they both have brembos so its equal" "they both have 4wd so its equal, they're equal" WTF - the salesmen knew exactly what he was talkin about and as did I. MIND YoU this was a month ago before any of the stis had been driven - we made educated guesses as to what the STI would be from knowing its track history and informing ourselves from countless hour spent at barnes and noble reading those funny english UK magazines a few guys got their dreams shattered hearing from a DIEHARD subaru enthusiasts that works at the local Subaru dealer tell them that the STI would not have anything on the EVO interms of handling and feeling. we did continue on that the STI would haul some serious *** and i mentioned that i felt the EVo was slow. just good conversation, nobody bashing nobody. just real constructive statements.

Last edited by ADMstunna; May 2, 2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old May 2, 2003 | 07:51 PM

Very good post.
Old May 2, 2003 | 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

thanks man, comments are welcome. just no "add 40 turbos and 4 superchargers to make it go faster" comments.