Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Wiring

Well I have sinned among the EvolutionM community and bought a small tire trailer. I know I will be outcast among all of you and not be invited to the next local WRX+SRT4+RSX+EVO meet. I will carry on.

Before the "LOL EVOS CANT TOW" crew comes along, please tell it to Chronohunter, Vishnu (who towed tires with the same trailer I have on their One Lap car) and some other fairly less notable posters. This trailer weighs about as much as my skinny *** and I can assure you that the mighty 4G63 will not crumble under the weight of a few RA1 and a set of Volks. Many people tow a set of tires, this does not adversely affect anything. I want information, not a stupid debate on whether this can be done or not, thanks. I already know what the owners manual says.

Here's the backstory: while I am a horrible horrible driver and will never make it to Formula One (yet alone a victory at my local time trial club), my rollcage prevents me from fitting my mad-tyte r-compounds plus tires in the back of my car. I have three options here:

1) Buy a truck, live in further poverty, have my girlfriend leave me and die alone (but happy because I dont have to do 8 hour drives in a non-reclinable bucket seat)

2) Buy a small tire trailer and haul my wheels.

3) Continue to race on street tires and suck for eternity.

Option 2 seemed like the best bet, but I will be damned if I didn't consider option 1 very closely. So I went out and bought a used tire trailer from a *GASP* STi *GASP* owner. After decontaminating the trailer very very carefully (because as an Evo owner I must hate all STi owners for no good reason other than the car they drive) I bought an incredibly nice trailer hitch from a member here named Rallytrack (Thanks again!). All is set, now I can finally get my big break and race Formula One under the lovely Misato Haga! (Dear Misato if you are reading this board I love you!!!!)

Except for one thing, I forgot that you need to wire the trailer! Oh, no!

So here is where I turn to you, EvoM community, I need to know how to wire up a trailer, I need to know badly. I'm really bad with this sort of stuff. If you NEED specifics, I am talking about the turn signals and brake lights, I think this is just a four pin operation, right?

So let's summarize:

1) Do I need some sort of universal wiring harness? If so, can someone reccomend one?

2) Can someone tell me what wires do what?

Thank you in advance, friends! :3

Last edited by Tsurara; Sep 1, 2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

This is a good question. I have been considering a trailer ever since my RA-1's wore down to 2 grooves, sure would make it easier to go to events. Hope someone has the answer for you.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If You look on page 4-13 of your owners manual you will see a WARNING "Do not use this vehicle for trailer towing, It may not be possible to maintain control or adequate braking."

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Sep 1, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
If You look on page 4-13 of your owners manual you will see a WARNING "Do not use this vehicle for trailer towing, It may not be possible to maintain control or adequate braking."
Did you read my post? I don't want this to degrade into a debate on if the Evo can tow or not.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Great question. I see several honda S2000 with trailers going to our local meets. I always wondered "why not an evo?" An S2000 can do it.
Sorry i'm no help, I don't think it would be that hard to hook up a harness.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SteveosEvo
Great question. I see several honda S2000 with trailers going to our local meets. I always wondered "why not an evo?" An S2000 can do it.
Sorry i'm no help, I don't think it would be that hard to hook up a harness.
It isn't I just need to know which wires go where. Apparently there is a plug and play harness, I am still waiting on more info on that.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
Admin Alumni

Possibly some folks in one of the tech forums may be able to help? I don't know if this 'tekkie' enough for them, but it couldn't hurt to try and post it in the most appropriate area and see what happens. If the Mods move it back here, at least you tried. As for advice, I have no idea. I followed the instructions that came with the hitch setup on my jeep (told which wires go where).
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

It's very easy. We picked up a small trailer from Harbor Freight and either it came with the harness or we picked one up at the store. Either way they are universal and fairly easy to install. Installing it involved popping out the rear tail light and matching up a few wires and connecting them using those nifty splicer/connector things. Just follow the wire diagram that comes with the harness and you should be good.

If there is a plug & play harness I have no idea where it "plugs" up to, so right now I doubt it exists.

I'm sure any Walmart, Autozone, Pepboys or Harbor Freight will have what you're looking for.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Heck I seen plenty of Miata towing small trailers with tires to autox and whatnot.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm Cutting wires ohhh, sounds like fun. Ok The wire you need acces to are in the trun Brakes, marker lights and turn signals, Get your self some test wire and a test light.

Reverse Light= Brown Wires by the rear tailight asembely
Brake Light= .85G is what it says, I would Guess Green. i would test first.
Left Turn sig= White And Lavender By rear tailiight assembly
Right Turn Sig= Yellow By rear tailight assembly
Parking lights= Green and White By rear tailight assembly.

Wasn't trying to be an a$$, just didn't read lol