Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID level switch/motors..possible to hook them up?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:30 AM
UCB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID level switch/motors..possible to hook them up?

I have a IX (non-SSL), i picked up some VIII HIDs with the leveling motors. Is it at all possible to hook up the switch? Does the IX have the correct harness (perhaps unstalled for non-SSL) or do they not have any adjustment at all?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

I would imagine that all the IX's have the same electrical harness, just not the switch/roller thing. I worked at a Ford truck plant for a bit, and all the harnesses for a given model were the same.

Maybe someone else can tell you for sure.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:50 AM
UCB
Evolved Member

Yeah I imagine it would be cheaper to make a full harnes, and just not use all the pins/wires for a non-HID model. This is what Im hoping for at least =P
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah They got to be there Ican take Photos, pm me for Photos.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

its a different headlight harness and in order to hook up that harness ,you have to swap engine harnesses.

there are lots of threads about this, infact i was just looking this stuff up yesterday.

try a search some keywords HID FOG etc.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

sorry but this has been bothering me for a while. I hear ppl saying hid no hid bla bla bla but i thought all evo8 + were hid can some explain this and show pics? I hear about upgrades and so on. Sorry for the noob question
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:37 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

Only the 03 (or maybe 04 too) had HIDs standard

After that they were an option with the SSL package. For the IX, the RS/GSR dont have HIDs, you gotta get the MR or the SSL package with the GSR, same story for the 05

Im not sure if they have leveling switches though

I know for sure the 03 had HIDs with leveling switches as well as the IC sprayer. THey shoulda kept these standard for all evos IMO
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo1337
sorry but this has been bothering me for a while. I hear ppl saying hid no hid bla bla bla but i thought all evo8 + were hid can some explain this and show pics? I hear about upgrades and so on. Sorry for the noob question
Only 100% sure on the IX's, tho I imagine the 8's are the same.

RS and IX have Halogen. MR's have HID. SSL IX's have HID. Special Edition IX's have factory HID, but seem to be a slightly different tint than the MR's.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UCB

Im not sure if they have leveling switches though

I know for sure the 03 had HIDs with leveling switches as well as the IC sprayer. THey shoulda kept these standard for all evos IMO
SE's have the levelling dial, so I assume all the IX's with factory HID have it. No sprayer though. ='(
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

i think its stupid to put halogens into a car like the evo to begin with. IDK but it just seems like HIDS suit a car like the evo so well and its kind of degrading to put halogens into this car IMO. mitsu shoulda made HID's standard regardless and maybe just bumped the prices up $500 or so. it would have been easier on both them and us to just leave one type of engine harness in all evos. but i guess the hid's are a big part of the reason why people spend the extra 3k on the ssl. i didnt want a sunroof on a car like this and i plan on doing a lot of mods so i got a baase gsr over an mr or ssl. so i guess they used the hid's as a marketing and sales technique.

Last edited by Bigl4201; Sep 1, 2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bigl4201
i think its stupid to put halogens into a car like the evo to begin with. IDK but it just seems like HIDS suit a car like the evo so well and its kind of degrading to put halogens into this car IMO. mitsu shoulda made HID's standard regardless and maybe just bumped the prices up $500 or so.
I think they mostly did it to get people to spring for the SSL or MR instead

but yeah, I agree. I have HID (oem bulbs/ballasts) in my halgoen projectors right now, looks good, but I want flat black headlights so I picked up some HID housings (well sorta, they are busted, looking for another set, lol)

Thats a real ***** if I gotta swap the entire engine harness to get the leveling motors to work
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=UCB]I think they mostly did it to get people to spring for the SSL or MR instead QUOTE]

i was editing my original post as you responded to this one lol
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=UCB]I think they mostly did it to get people to spring for the SSL or MR instead[QUOTE]

i edited my original as you were responding lol
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:50 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

Just did some reaseach. The 04 they had SSL as well, so I think the 03 evo was the only one where HIDs were standard

Quick Reply: HID level switch/motors..possible to hook them up?