Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo thread over on the volvo S60R forums...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo thread over on the volvo S60R forums...

Read here
At least some of them are reasonable...
Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

2 Totally different cars.

When I had my WORKS 3" catback exhaust/tune I raced an S60R from 10-70mph and was ahead of him by 2 car lengths, from a dig with a 2-step rev limited 5500 launch it would have been a massacre.

The S60R's are really sharp on the outside with the EVOLVE body kit, they look really nice but are extremely heavy cars even with the 360HP package from EVOLVE on them. I believe the curb weight advertised is around 3700+ lbs. so they give up alot of weight to the EVO.

I completely disagree with the interior comments, the GSR w/ssl is a nice package and the leather Recaros and interior are nice in my opinion. If I want a luxury sports sedan I would be looking at the M3 and not a Volvo. Another point I disagree with are maintenance costs; many European cars are high maintenance.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

It seems that most are very open minded and not bias in there opinons. Nice
Old Sep 8, 2006, 05:25 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XK120
Read here
At least some of them are reasonable...
I guess it's (errr...) encouraging to see pretty much the same crowd hanging out there as here - young, gullible poseurs whose idea of high-performance revolves around comparing numbers for bragging rights, hoping to impress others, and playing dress-up with their cars. I'm sure there are some dedicated drivers there, like here, but gauging by the thread there aren't a lot of them (like here).

Thanks for the link. It was a fun thread to read.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

What i think is interesting is the age difference. They are all mid-to high 20's and I heard a comment saying the evo is a teen car. I think the gen the evo came into fashion is the only think that really seperates the age diffence apart. old school dsm drivers are normally older (IMO). The Volvo is a nice car but next to an evo (IMO) its nothing to look at. The interior looks like a ford fusions, and its a big difference in performance. Also I dont think its as masculine. When you say to someone I own an evo you get a response normally in regards to performance. If you say something about owning a volvo period, you think about luxury not performance.

Its more of a lifestyle difference. These are opposite cars. Do you want to fly easily into 170mph or take and hour getting there in warm seats?

I prefer the speed over the luxury package. As long as i have heat, a cd player, boost, and a nice stock sound system, I AM SET. I believe most automive enthusiasts would say the same for their daily/fun car.

I think he volvo looks too much like a wanna be skyline R34 with a ugly rear. thats just my opinion, once again. The wiser choice for a speed demon/tastier person would be the evo. If the car is for your wife, the volvo.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

The EVO has much better performance, but as every article I've read points out, the stlying is adolescent. The EVO is not a good looking car. When it first arrived here I saw numerous comments like a "Pontiac Sunbird with a wing tacked on". Even from people who bought one.

Last edited by Kordwood; Sep 8, 2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good find, i was actually considering an S60R before i got my Evo on saturday, i am so glad i got the Evo, but it really is apples to oranges. The Evo is a drivers car, the Volvo isn't.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Im looking into a V70 R for the wife. She liked the evo's brakes and power but wanted safety for the kids. now she gets the best of both worlds
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
We did a owner age thread when we got our first '03 Evo's and the average age was high 20's. That may have come now, but I think the stereotype that the Evo is a 16 year old's car is way below the actual demographic. We get a lot of young "pretenders" here asking questions, but there not many teens (as a percentage of total owners) who can afford a 30K car and the cost to maintain and modify.

Speedlimit...
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:13 PM

...another case of "mine is faster then yours thread"...you can go to almost any car forum and the bashing will ensue...

...IMHO 2 different cars...

...I do find it funny that people have this misconception that an Evo and STi will grenade quite easily

...oh well I will keep driving my time bomb
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They also compare themselves to an M3 & S4; S4 yes/maybe, but M3

Sh*t - I'm driving a rolling grenade - they know very little about the 4G63

Oh yeah - I'm 42 too!

Last edited by meanmud; Sep 19, 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:21 PM

While stopped at a light one day, an S60R pulled up alongside and was staring at the rims/brakes (I get that ALL the time). I thought nothing different about it and I took off normally, but he launched on me. Of course I cant allow someone to do that to me so I began to floor it. I caught up to him faster than I thought I would have (car was stock at the time) and nevertheless, he was extremely impressed and cool about it. At the next light he pulled up next to me and asked me what the car was and said it was really fast.

That was my ego boost for the day, and hopefully I earned a little more respect for our cars. His car was pretty quick and yeah, they are pretty nice looking.

Last edited by kdwg927; Sep 19, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

I don't even need to waste my time reading the thread. These two cars can't even be compared. My wife had a new volvo and the car is nice and even with a big engine the weight sacraficed the power and handling. It is basically a nice sedan with more muscle but IMO will never out perform an evo in any way other than being more comfortable and having more room for the baby seat in the back
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

there's a volvo forum? lol
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I just love stereotypes! I had no idea I was driving a 16 year old boy's car. I'd better give it back to him. And forget modding my car.. it's already pushed to the limit in stock form!

/sarcasm off

Quick Reply: Evo thread over on the volvo S60R forums...