Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are Evo sales not up to par?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2003, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important things to consider

Guys, when will you understand, the sticker is not the point. If you want the vehicle and are qualified to buy...make an offer. If not then stop crying about the mark up. I sure don't get alot of people complaining when I sell a Galant and LOSE $1,000. If I can make it up by selling a EVO, then I will. That is if the market will bring it. If the market doesn't, then I guess I won't. By the way, blame Mitsu for the dealer mark ups. They where so focused on getting the car to the market for 30k or under that they left us NO MARGIN. Besides, this car is worth 31-32k ALL DAY LONG. Problem is the age demo most interested in this car can't necessarily afford it... but it truly is worth the $$$. My wifes 2002 Z06 vette drives like a truck after spending a month in an EVO!!!
Point is, if you want the car, get your money and GO MAKE AN OFFER... the best time will be around the 30th of the month!!!
Old May 4, 2003, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Bought a EVO with the wing and sunroof for $28,860. Sticker was $30,812. Just keep looking around, dealers will start to deal on them.
Old May 5, 2003, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sccavee
Bought a EVO with the wing and sunroof for $28,860. Sticker was $30,812. Just keep looking around, dealers will start to deal on them.
i paid the latter... couldn't get the dealer to budge... but i wanted the car, so i took it and smiled the whole way home...
Old May 5, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the rampant rumors of over MSRP selling has kept people out of the showrooms....because they think they have no chance at getting a good deal right now.

Also, the early adopters of the Evo have already gotten their cars. These were the people that don't care about the Sti or any other car on the market, or soon to be on the market.

The remaining fence sitters will wait till the 'other' car comes out so they can compare before buying. This will also slow the sales of the car.

But we have to remember, this car is not meant to appeal to a mass audience. Not too many people could deal with the luxury and amenity trade-offs for the performance offered. And there aren't too many people out there that can rationalize spending $15,000 extra over the next lower trim level of the Lancer for that gained performance level.

SC~
Old May 5, 2003, 10:17 AM

I would have probably bought an EVO if our dealer in hawaii was so gready. I had made 2 offers of buying the EVO at msrp or even 1k over msrp. I was laughed at...with the sales man saying no where sells it for msrp. To give you an idea...no EVO's came in pre-sold. Yet the day the STI's rolled in more then 13 sold @ msrp. There are 2 maybe 3 EVOs running around...compared to 14-17 STI's and the EVO was released about 2 months before the STI. It didnt take much convincing to buy an STI when they were asking 46k on an EVO. Too bad....I guess having only 1 dealership in the whole state kinda sucks major a$$. You guys are lucky, you can just drive across town and get a better deal....im just stuck on an island.

-Snuff
Old May 5, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by snuffyrsx
You guys are lucky, you can just drive across town and get a better deal....im just stuck on an island.
i feel ya man... hawaii made me feel claustrophobic

i went to a couple dealers before buying mine...

mitsu dealers are thriving on enthusiast's lust for the car... now that it's out and about, and they aren't selling for 5k mark up anymore, you will see a drop...

then again, 2f2f will bring sales up a bit...

who knows...

are subaru dealers releasing STi's into the wild already?

Last edited by jotan82; May 5, 2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 5, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by jotan82
i feel ya man... hawaii made me feel claustrophobic
But the chicks are so HOT!
Old May 5, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

the STi is not even in dealers yet...? how can you have 14 -17 STi's roaming the island...?
Old May 5, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

The STi came out last week in Hawaii.

About the evo sales being low, the boycott has to do with some of that too. People have really steered away from dealers "on the list". Believe me, I know. Dealers email me all the time telling me how much they like our boycott.
Old May 5, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I personally went to all five dealers in ohio. all had at least 3 on their lots. most have only sold one at this point. everyone here is willing to negotiate. I did not pay msrp for my evo. I paid under. I took 5 weeks of going back and forth but the savings is worth it. Another thing is that they are waiting for the movie. AS WELL as a trend here of putting about $3500 worth of crap on the car to make it look a little better, you know like boost gauge 300 bucks an peddle kits for 250. stuff like that. then selling price is almost 40k.

THEY ARE TO DAMN GREEDY.
Old May 5, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
Dealers email me all the time telling me how much they like our boycott.
Hey Coolguy,

Do you think you could publically post some of the emails youve been getting from the dealerships that are making up about how much they love the over MSRP list?
Old May 5, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I think part of it is timing.
I wanted a car right away.
Some people may be coming off lease or something like that.
Maybe people want to compare the STI.
Sales could actually increase after the STI is available.
Old May 5, 2003, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
The STi came out last week in Hawaii.

About the evo sales being low, the boycott has to do with some of that too. People have really steered away from dealers "on the list". Believe me, I know. Dealers email me all the time telling me how much they like our boycott.
Its' the economy stupid.

They "boycott" has nothing to do with it. If you guys hadn't noticed the economy is in the toilet. Mitsu alone in March was down 24% compared to March of last year. My store just had a 34 unit April when it should have been a 60-70 unit month and we were still 1st in our district!

The Evo is by no means a "need to have" item and in an economy like this, toys are a low priority. I'm absolutely convinced that if the Evo had come out a year ago when car sales in general were very strong (vs. today where they are beyond pathetic) a few thousand over MSRP would have seemed like a great deal.
Old May 5, 2003, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

About the F&F comments, do you guys really think the F&F 2 will sell the evo? I mean, i dont remember in the first one peopel saying, oh i got an rx7 or oh i got an eclipse gsx or oh i got a supra or oh i got a charger. I dont think the F&F will sell the car unless people know what it is before hand.
Old May 5, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Mark F

Its' the economy stupid.

They "boycott" has nothing to do with it. If you guys hadn't noticed the economy is in the toilet. Mitsu alone in March was down 24% compared to March of last year. My store just had a 34 unit April when it should have been a 60-70 unit month and we were still 1st in our district!

The Evo is by no means a "need to have" item and in an economy like this, toys are a low priority. I'm absolutely convinced that if the Evo had come out a year ago when car sales in general were very strong (vs. today where they are beyond pathetic) a few thousand over MSRP would have seemed like a great deal.
Mark F, i'm not going to bother replying. Everytime you open your moth in here you establish more and more how much of a mindless ***** you are. While everyone's having a nice conversation you always chime in with something to fill the chip on your shoulder. I don't need to argue with some salesman.