Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are Evo sales not up to par?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2003, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From another undisclosed dealer (dont know about the legality of giving out the names online)

"Now we're checking to see if there is any leagal action we can take for your postings, especially since names are involved.

Good Luck"
Old May 6, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

I dont see how they can take legal action, your not saying anything bad about the dealer, all your saying is the dealership name and dealership mark-up above MSRP.

The internet is a place of true and false, take all information you can get off of it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by tryandcatchme; May 6, 2003 at 07:23 AM.
Old May 6, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Let's not forget what they make on the financing side.

Any dealer who gets on this site and says they are not making money off the EVO at MSRP is FULL OF S##T!
Old May 6, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Those who think they are getting an STi for MSRP is smoking whacky weed, all the Sub dealers in the NW are talking $5K over and up same song and dance as the Evo their claim is the few numbers and demand peeps will pay and they will sell for that price. If you want the first round of these super rally cars you will pay over sticker if your patient and wait a year or more then you might get better deals. I know that there are exceptions out there for some Evo owners but you guys are in the minority.
Old May 6, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Funniest evo dealer moment I have seen was watching the saleman try to explain to my friend that the big spoiler was a $480 dollar option, but you have no option but to get it.

Then he pulled the 3 grand markup stuff, and we didn't even bother with the test drive.

Could we have a thread that list those few Mitsubishi dealers who don't think their customers are idiots, and are not rip off merchants.

If dealers have a bad name, it's entirly their own fault.
Old May 6, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cannyboy
Funniest evo dealer moment I have seen was watching the saleman try to explain to my friend that the big spoiler was a $480 dollar option, but you have no option but to get it.

Until very, very recently that was absolutely true since no small-spoiler Evo's were being allocated yet.
Old May 6, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AustinEvo8

Any dealer who gets on this site and says they are not making money off the EVO at MSRP is FULL OF S##T!
I don't recall any dealer saying they were not making a profit selling Evo's at MSRP.

It's all the other cars that we aren't making doodly on right now.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:05 PM

Sales are steady

Evolution sales are pretty steady from our dealership in Alcoa (Knoxville), TN. Granted most of the cars we have sold have gone to Atlanta where the dealerships are asking way over MSRP for them. Ours are going for MSRP though as the internet manager I can sell one that we have for $500 under MSRP. It's black/roof/wing. There is another local dealership that is still sitting on the original red car though from what I gather it's out of reluctance to talk to customers or show them anything about the car. I have not gone over to look at it myself but just going on what I'm told when they get here. Guess a bit of it is having enthusiasts for employee's instead of pure-bred salesdrones.

Those dealerships who are trying to get $5k plus over sticker are just nuts if not downright stupid. They are driving away the very business they are trying to get and will be shooting themselves in the foot over it. They put the price point to where the intended buyers can't get it and those can can don't want it. Unfortunately Subaru is going to do exactly the same thing with the STi. The local Scooby dealer swears that they have 30 deposits on them already yet no one seems to have put money down on it and they are also being told $3,500-5k over sticker. I think it's nothing more than a high-pressure 'get on board now' sales pitch.

Given a few months from now I'd expect the average Evo to go for MSRP or slightly under but I don't expect these cars to ever become 'invoice deals' cars. I just can't wait until October/September when I can actually afford mine!
Old May 6, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by O4 WRX
brUhaha. idiot. just kidding. i love you.

i LOVE you for the boycott coolguy. rock on and keep up the good work
Actually, it's "brouhaha."

"Brewhaha" is useful, though. As in, "Pass me another brewhaha."
Old May 6, 2003, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
Here's a letter from a dealer which will remain undisclosed:

Senders Name: Sal H.
Message: I DO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU RECEIVED YOUR INFORMATION FROM BUT BE AWARE THAT IT'S WRONG AND IS FALSE ADVERTIZING DAMAGING TO OUR DEALER. FREEHOLD MITSUBISHI IS CURRENTLY ADVERTIZING IN THE ASBURY PARK PRESS EVOLUTION VIII AT MSRP..

YOUR INFORMATION IS WRONG PLEASE REMOVE US FROM YOUR LIST AND LET YOUR READERS KNOW THAT WERE SELLING EVOVIII AT MSRP..

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP OR WE WILL TAKE LEGAL ACTION.....

SAL
GENERAL MANAGER
Either that guy was fuming and couldn't think straight while he typed... hence the word usage, poor spelling, etc.

Or... he just hasn't been hukd on foniks yet.

Seems like the "undisclosed" dealer is already out of the box. "Freehold? Abury Park?" Funny letter, nonetheless.
Old May 6, 2003, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe Evo sales are not meeting expectations ?

Considering that the Evo is supposed to be a limited production run, and the dealers were so confident they would fly off the lots that they could wack massive marks up on them, but instead what do we have, Evo's stuck on sales lots and Mitsu starting an advertising blitz.

This seems to suggest to me that sales aren't going as well as MMC had dreamed, and that production won't be limited. Obviously the car is not selling itself OR Mitsu is out to try and milk this baby for everything they can get.
Old May 6, 2003, 05:17 PM

Mitsubishi is not the only one. The entire auto industry is in a serious slump right now. The last three months with the weather, the recession, the preliminaries and finally the war itself have put more than a few dealerships out of business. On average most places are hitting 40-60% of their normal numbers for this month when compared to any other given year. All makes are heavy into advertising right now and very few cars, especially specialty cars, are flying off the lots. Btw, have you seen how many Subaru ad's with Lance are out there now? They even put some steep rebates on the WRX's among other models.

As it is, this afternoon Mitsubishi just put a 7/100 powertrain warranty on all vehicles except the Evo which still has the 3/36 and 5/60 standard warranty. This is coupled with the 0% interest rates and many other manufacturers are doing the same thing. Why? They are *all* behind the sales curves from where they need to be.

Btw, everyone come buy cars so I can get my Evo!
Old May 6, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
Here's a more positive one:

Senders Name: Todd Cahan
Message: I just wanted to let you know you have a fantastic site here. I have heard of its existance for a while but have not had an opportunity to check it out until now... VERY NICE.

I am the General Manager of Max Madsen Mitsubishi (Downers Grove). I would love to recommend your site to our customers but first please allow me to correct your information pertaining to pricing. We DO NOT CHARGE over MSRP unless there are additional accessories added that would add to the price - we have plenty of them in stock both with and without factory accessories.

Please remove us from your boycotted dealer list so I can provide your site as a valuable resource to our shoppers. Also, if you are going to reference our dealer information anywhere he is the correct info:

Max Madsen Mitsubishi
2424 Ogden Ave
Downers Grove, IL 60515
1-800-5BADMAX(522-3629)
That's why they were trying to charge $31,800 for a used Black EVO w/o a sunroof (@ the Countryside location)!
Old May 6, 2003, 06:08 PM
ACM
Evolving Member

I believe Mits Man's point was that to make 10% profit off and EVO he would have to charge over MSRP - and the KBB numbers posted do indeed confirm that.

As far as why people may not be jumping for the EVO, consider this; in the rest of the world, a 6spd fully active EVO with front LSD is about $29k, the passive (though still 6spd with front LSD) is supposedly $1500 over the base WRX price. The 6spd, 300 hp, ACD'd, front LSD, US STi is $1K or so more than the US EVO. My money's back in my pocket until I see and drive both cars. Most of the people I know who are up on the EVO are also aware of the above.

At the very least, unless Subaru fail miserably with the STi, it's likely that Mitsu will have to up the ante next year just to catch up. Attention has already left the EVO for the STi, Mitsu must now race to to get back into the limelight.

Sales a year or so were up due to all the 0/0/0 deals available. The economy's no worse now than it was then (however it's also no better). That's the root cause of the sales collapse in my opinion. Everyone who needed major financial incentives to purchase did so then, the remaining customers either never had a shot in the first place or are buying from choice rather than neccessity, and so are in a position to pick and choose.

Charles
Old May 6, 2003, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ACM

As far as why people may not be jumping for the EVO, consider this; in the rest of the world, a 6spd fully active EVO with front LSD is about $29k, the passive (though still 6spd with front LSD) is supposedly $1500 over the base WRX price. The 6spd, 300 hp, ACD'd, front LSD, US STi is $1K or so more than the US EVO. My money's back in my pocket until I see and drive both cars. Most of the people I know who are up on the EVO are also aware of the above.
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/evolution/range.asp

27,000 quid for a base Evo VIII, 28,995 for a FQ-300. That's on-the-road pricing including their 17.5% VAT. But at today's exchange rates that comes out to somewhere over $43k for an Evo.